Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mamba20

Do what now?
Its time for me to upgrade my flight case from the $30 Officer Depot "flight case" to something thats a little more durable and a little nicer. Not looking to spend an arm and a leg. I'm tired of wondering if today is the day when the handle finally rips off. Any suggestions? Thanks!

The stop over store in DTW has a really nice one for around $80 and it looks like it's made pretty well. I'm still on the $30 one, and I change the handle when necessary!

Go to www.Bomcrewmall.com A take a look. I got my bag there for $130 plus shipping. (I think UPS) It is all leather, brass locks and you can get brass plates with your name. They are hand made and are sized to fit whatever a/c your are flying. Take a look.

Last edited:
Two words for ya...

Scott Leather........ out of TX.

YES, they are not cheap. These cases will last you 10-15yrs. I suppose it depends upon whether you want to shop for flight cases every 3-5 years. Myself, I'll be shopping again in 2018. Sad part is flight cases will probably still look exactly the same as they do today. So much for innovation.

www.scottleather.com

slam_clicker said:
Scott Leather........ out of TX.

YES, they are not cheap. These cases will last you 10-15yrs.

Couldn't agree with you more Slam! Scott Leather cases are worth every cent just like a Purdy Neat suitcase. Those things are made from 1-piece full grain saddle leather. Remember, you're going to drag this thing around every day for years. Don't go cheap on stuff like this!

Buy the best and you'll get 10x the use from it with no surprises... i.e. the guy in front of me in the security first class/crew line at DTW last month. His bag broke open at the bottom as he was swinging it up to set it on the x-ray belt and dumped all of his Jepps and manuals on the floor in front of everyone. Two manuals hit hard enough to open and scatter all of their contents within a 10' radius. He was swearing at that cheap P.O.S. bag for 5 minutes as we picked up his stuff. I never asked where he got the bag, but from what I could tell, it was one of those cardboard/pleather $30 wonders from some office store and it still looked in pretty good shape. But the bottom tore right across at a corner seam.

That's my $.02. Just remember, you get what you pay for and it's all a tax deduction anyway.

Cheers

Last edited:
Those things are made from 1-piece full grain saddle leather.

The body of the Scott bag is great...its just to bad the handles keep falling off and the locking mechanisms break all the time. I understand that they have changed the handle design on the "square top" but for nearly $400 you wouldn't think you would ever even have to consider failures like these.

I bought the $200 Korchmar ballistic nylon/leather jumbo bag. It's really jumbo and just barely fits the CRJ slot. But it carries a butt-load of extra stuff like books, food, and other junk. I have been very satisfied and it is still in good, sturdy condition after nearly two years.

Go for the good Flight bag!

Mambo20
You've been here a year....Use part of your uniform allowance, go all out! If you have questions, see one of us before you order...There are stipulations like: you get $350 a year on your anniversary date (if you were ever furloughed this can effect this date with payroll), Flight bags, Rollerboards, and uniform shirts you're allowed to buy from the vendor of your choice, you can only buy a new Rollaboard or new Flight bag everyother year (this was put into place because some guy bought 10 Travel Pro's one year for Christmas gifts. I know it's true, I was here and saw the order.)

Please don't be one of those guys that have been here 10 years wearing the same Dingy shirts with yellow pits and have 1500 dollars in your Uniform account.

Just another perk.... Uniform allowance!
Thank your union.
PSACPSP

mamba20 said:
Its time for me to upgrade my flight case from the $30 Officer Depot "flight case" to something thats a little more durable and a little nicer. Not looking to spend an arm and a leg. I'm tired of wondering if today is the day when the handle finally rips off. Any suggestions? Thanks!

PSAChiefPilots said:
Mambo20
...this was put into place because some guy bought 10 Travel Pro's one year for Christmas gifts.
That's disgusting, he should of been fired!!! Thank god I only bought 5 one time and they were used to ship my x-mas gifts.

mamba20 said:

I had that one. The handle on that bag didn't even make it through IOE. I traded it for the 80 dollar one and it's held up great

Latest resources

Back