FlexJet

Nolife

Tired Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2003
Posts
547
Total Time
4000+
Saw an add for pilots today. I talked to some pilots last year and they weren't happy there. Have things changed? The add made it sound like a descent place to work. Good pay and time off. Benefits looked good as well. Any comments. Thanks.
 

miles otoole

Well-known member
Joined
May 7, 2004
Posts
948
Total Time
10k+
Nolife said:
Saw an add for pilots today. I talked to some pilots last year and they weren't happy there. Have things changed? The add made it sound like a descent place to work. Good pay and time off. Benefits looked good as well. Any comments. Thanks.

Pilot's will bitch anywhere. I met a couple of SWA guys a few weeks ago that sounded as though they could have been on death row.
 

BortaS

Active member
Joined
Oct 2, 2003
Posts
44
Total Time
1
miles otoole said:
Pilot's will bitch anywhere. I met a couple of SWA guys a few weeks ago that sounded as though they could have been on death row.

They were true idiots.
 

Heavy Set

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 28, 2002
Posts
2,277
Total Time
15,000
miles otoole said:
Pilot's will bitch anywhere. I met a couple of SWA guys a few weeks ago that sounded as though they could have been on death row.

Don't think the grass is always greener. I talked to a couple of SWA guys a few weeks back at TUL who felt they were very over-worked, etc. Sure, but I'd love to have their job security...

As for the Flexjet pilots, I think it partially depends on the fleet type. I also talked to a new Flex pilot at LAS last week who got onto the CL300 - he was very happy... My sense is that things are starting to improve at Flexjet in most areas except for scheduling (that's what I have heard). It's all relative because life at FLOPS appears to be going down hill fast.
 
Last edited:

TrumanSparks

turn left at band aid
Joined
Nov 30, 2001
Posts
116
I worked at FlexJet for 5 years before going to SWA. Something to keep inmind is the backgound of the source of complaining, what were they doing before SWA. I can say without any question that my QOL is better and the "amount" of work is less at SWA than it was Flex. Is SWA 100% roses, no. But it's pretty close for me. Overall I really enjoyed FlexJet and I would recomend it if you are looking for work, but know what you are getting into. Just like at SWA, when you go to work, you work. I still have friends at Flex and they say that things have gotten better in the last couple of years. I don't keep too close of tabs on the Fracs, but it sounds like Flex and Citation Shares are the better ones to work for at the moment.

Good Luck.
 
Last edited:

CL604DRVR

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 9, 2005
Posts
69
Total Time
Enough
Nolife,

Sparks hit it on the mark. It is a JOB and there are very few JOBs that are perfect. You fly good equipt, lodging has improved since Jan 1, schedules are improving although the bid system is despised by most, the crew meals are provided at no cost in addition to your per diem when you are on duty, and the benefits package is second to none.

CAUTION:
You will work hard and be gone long.

If you have specific questions about Flex pm me.

604
 

cosmotheassman

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 7, 2004
Posts
466
Total Time
4000
No complaints about Flex since I've been there other than trying to figure out how to get the PBS system to benefit yourself...
 

CL604DRVR

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 9, 2005
Posts
69
Total Time
Enough
Dont't try too hard you'll hurt your brain. In short PBS benefits no one but the company.
 

El Chupacabra

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 27, 2004
Posts
527
Total Time
14000
CL604DRVR said:
Dont't try too hard you'll hurt your brain. In short PBS benefits no one but the company.
I have been trying to tell people that at NJ for yrs.
 

flexlrpilot357

Archbishop of Slack
Joined
Jun 25, 2002
Posts
180
Total Time
GMT?
PBS works best for those with seniority. (exactly as advertised)
 

cosmotheassman

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 7, 2004
Posts
466
Total Time
4000
haha. Of course I am... I got my first bid and it wasnt all that bad! Only 1 5 day rotation and the rest are 4's!! Got exactly what I wanted.
 

Cpt Splash

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 20, 2003
Posts
134
Total Time
lots
cosmotheassman said:
haha. Of course I am... I got my first bid and it wasnt all that bad! Only 1 5 day rotation and the rest are 4's!! Got exactly what I wanted.

I can tell you right now , that is not going to last. My first 2 bid periods with Flex I got what I wanted also, from then on it's just been random. The senority that the PBS favors is the 604 guys. Bottom line, if your in the 45 fleet, you will not get what you want 90% of the time. Cosmo congrats on coming to Flex, I'll probably see you on the road.
 

cosmotheassman

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 7, 2004
Posts
466
Total Time
4000
As long as I'm not gone on 6 day rotations, I'm fairly happy! I'm sure it will happen eventually though...
 

CL604DRVR

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 9, 2005
Posts
69
Total Time
Enough
Cpt Splash said:
The senority that the PBS favors is the 604 guys. Bottom line, if your in the 45 fleet, you will not get what you want 90% of the time.

You don't really belive that do you???? If you do, I got some real nice swamp land for sale. Lets make a deal.

The capts. maybe. FO's not a chance.
 

cosmotheassman

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 7, 2004
Posts
466
Total Time
4000
Yeah. It was my understanding that each fleet is treated seperately on bids. That's how the bids come out...per fleet and per seat...

Isn't the 604 group the smallest? Seems it would be hard to get a good schedule with less people?
 

Cpt Splash

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 20, 2003
Posts
134
Total Time
lots
CL604DRVR said:
You don't really belive that do you???? If you do, I got some real nice swamp land for sale. Lets make a deal.

The capts. maybe. FO's not a chance.

How bout my bridge for your swamp land.:D I remember when there was about a five month period when all I got was 6 and 3, no matter what I bidded for. Being that the 604 is the smallest fleet with the most senority and I also least amount of scheduled trips the PBS is less likely to give you a 6 and 3. The company demand is just not there and thats the 1st rule PBS has to satisfy to work its magic.
 

CL604DRVR

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 9, 2005
Posts
69
Total Time
Enough
Cpt Splash said:
How bout my bridge for your swamp land.:D I remember when there was about a five month period when all I got was 6 and 3, no matter what I bidded for. Being that the 604 is the smallest fleet with the most senority and I also least amount of scheduled trips the PBS is less likely to give you a 6 and 3. The company demand is just not there and thats the 1st rule PBS has to satisfy to work its magic.


So you think we don't get 6 & 3 in 604's. WRONG. In fact I talked to a Capt in early August who claimed to be on his sixth straight 6&3. What I bid for and seldom ever get is long periods on long periods off. The new bid came out where I had asked for 7&5 do you think I got it. NO.



As far as less scheduled trips there is some truth to that particularly as it relates to legs flown, but when you do Martha's Vineyard to SFO to ADS that's a long day 9.5 hrs block, but only two legs. Two days prior I did 6 legs that started @ 10:00 am we got to the hotel @ 1:00 am. Yes that is over 14 hrs.



Also realize that the 604's are the only aircraft in the fleet that can cover any other aircraft during a recovery or other equip shortage. It is considered an upgrade, it pleases the delayed owner and we do it all the time.



Do this; Print out your schedules and lay several months side by side and see if you don't see a repeating pattern over about 2.5 bid periods. I'll bet you will.



PBS is what it is and is not going away, but to suggest that others are working less or getting better schedules due to seniority in another fleet is simply not true.

Since you have the bridge I still think you should buy my swamp land then you can use your bridge to get across.

604
 
Last edited:

FalconPilot69

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 26, 2002
Posts
212
Total Time
Some
What about the 300?

What are the 300 schedules like? Can you guys tell me how the Per diem and OT works/paid?
 
Last edited:

Vote4Pedro

Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Posts
11
Total Time
1800
Pbs?

Trying to learn the ways of this world and get the terminology down -- PBS? Not familiar with that one... Sounds like it might be internal to FlexJet maybe?

Thanks
 
Top