Flexjet Pilots, Let's Get It Together

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JokerFuel

Have you noticed the decline in our Hotels? How have your crew-meals been lately? The company has yet to address our rest issues.How many bogus focus groups have to be formed creating the illusion of self help? What about our baseing issues? We don't even have a true Industry comperable overtime schedule! How many more issues are waiting to be honored? How long are you willing to wait? If you haven't sent in a card, why wait? You know where to go. Ask any Netjets pilot, Union is the answer. Its a great job, but it could be the best job. Do your part to make it so.

Sorry Joker, it just ain't gonna happen. Take our recent pay raise and combine it with the current economic situation, fuel prices trending upwards at startling rates, airlines dropping left and right, and our jelly spined pilot group and you've got a recipe for nothing happening anytime soon. Too many guys just thankful to be employed and in job protection mode right now ( and yes I realize the irony of that last statement).

Just before the raise announcement there was enough displeasure to actually get something done, but that moment was wasted by us. We have no focal point or rallying cry, and though there is a plethora of issues to be addressed we have no impetus for change.

Probably best to send in another card and settle in for the long haul until an aligning of our management's clown routine, another company's updated benefits package (a good deal for FLOPS would do nicely), and our pilot group's near laughable ire allows for a vote.

Sad but true.

jelly spined pilot group..... nice attitude beech. With a statement like that, why not post your name and show all what an iron spine you have?

Yes, let's just all post our names. Let's do it on the union site too. I can't imagine why you chose 300 pilot instead of your real name. That wasn't an attack on individuals, but an accurate labeling of our group as a whole. Figure it out. And if I had called us weak willed instead of jelly spined would that have pegged you sensitiv o' meter? Is that the only problem you have with the post?

Now that that's out of the way feel free to provide examples of our pilot group's strong will and togetherness.

<crickets chriping>

Last edited:
Wha?

Joker - Maybe it's just me, but things have only gotten better since I've been here. Hotels I'll give you, but I think the problem lies more with the travel agency we use then with the office. You are using the feedback line or talking to the FODM or ACP right? I've had them change our hotel numerous times because the FBO had a better recommendation, you just have to take the time to call it in. You've seen the dumb stuff Jepp does with our fltplans, and Universal or whoever can never get intl paperwork right, sometimes it's the vendor. Crew meals are getting better - I've noticed a definite improvement in quality. According to Tom they are working on a selectable menu for the BB, it just takes time around here. You know how efficient our IT dept is. As for rest, we now have a true rest block on no-assignment days. Ask any ACP and they'll tell you that you don't have to pick up the phone during any rest, regardless of how long it is. Sure they can call you, and I agree that should be fixed, but the bottom line is you don't have to accept anything during your rest. Or are you one of those people who bitches and moans about early calls but takes the trip anyway? If you're worried about retribution I've never seen it. I've flown with many Captains who have told dispatch/scheduling to pound sand when given a questionable assignment and the ACP always backed them up as long as they had a good reason. It's the company's job to push us as far as they can to get the trips flown, it's our job to say no when they push too far. Bases suck, yeah. How is a union going to fix that? Open more or we strike? That'll work I'm sure. A union could bring a contract yes, but contracts are a result of negotiating and compromise. What are you willing to give up to get more bases? You think they're going to give them up for free? Netjets is great yes, but for every NJA there's an Options, how's their union working out? How bout the airlines? Unions are only as strong as their members, and as DBeech said we have a lot of people here who don't care and who don't want to get involved. We couldn't get enough cards in for a vote before the raise was announced when people were the most upset, what makes you think they're going to change their minds now that the money is significantly better? Change comes from within. Your rest gets violated, ASAP it! The FAA sits in on those meetings and it seems like the new POI actually gives a fukc about it. Don't like the hotel, call it in! If it's really bad tell them you refuse to stay there for health/safety reasons, don't be afraid to put your foot down. Again, not enough people are making noise about these issues, that's why there's no changes. I see the same 10-20 names over and over on the BB, hopefully more than that are using the feedback line and personally calling their ACPs or the CP.

And for the record, yes I did send in my card.

Find a union that doesn't support our competition and maybe I might send something to them. Probably not a card though.

And if you think your way is the right way then post your name don't hide like you are.

Ask any ACP and they'll tell you that you don't have to pick up the phone during any rest, regardless of how long it is. Sure they can call you, and I agree that should be fixed, but the bottom line is you don't have to accept anything during your rest. Or are you one of those people who bitches and moans about early calls but takes the trip anyway? If you're worried about retribution I've never seen it.

In the three years or so that I have been here, I have never flown with a captain that did not answer his phone during rest. They all ask, "if we get called early, how much time do you need?" And now I do the same thing. I've never met a single person that actually turns their phone off. Everybody answers their phone in rest, it is the norm. I know of one guy that stayed with his parents or something, and the company went ape trying to find him. called the hotel and sent a guy to the room and everything, then he got called by the ACP the next day.

Walsh, no disrespect intended, but it is easy to be anti-union and have your name on here, but a lot more to ask a pro-union person to put their name up here. FLOPS just canned a bunch of openly union folks.

Joker - Maybe it's just me, but things have only gotten better since I've been here. Hotels I'll give you, but I think the problem lies more with the travel agency we use then with the office. You are using the feedback line or talking to the FODM or ACP right? I've had them change our hotel numerous times because the FBO had a better recommendation, you just have to take the time to call it in. You've seen the dumb stuff Jepp does with our fltplans, and Universal or whoever can never get intl paperwork right, sometimes it's the vendor. Crew meals are getting better - I've noticed a definite improvement in quality. According to Tom they are working on a selectable menu for the BB, it just takes time around here. You know how efficient our IT dept is. As for rest, we now have a true rest block on no-assignment days. Ask any ACP and they'll tell you that you don't have to pick up the phone during any rest, regardless of how long it is. Sure they can call you, and I agree that should be fixed, but the bottom line is you don't have to accept anything during your rest. Or are you one of those people who bitches and moans about early calls but takes the trip anyway? If you're worried about retribution I've never seen it. I've flown with many Captains who have told dispatch/scheduling to pound sand when given a questionable assignment and the ACP always backed them up as long as they had a good reason. It's the company's job to push us as far as they can to get the trips flown, it's our job to say no when they push too far. Bases suck, yeah. How is a union going to fix that? Open more or we strike? That'll work I'm sure. A union could bring a contract yes, but contracts are a result of negotiating and compromise. What are you willing to give up to get more bases? You think they're going to give them up for free? Netjets is great yes, but for every NJA there's an Options, how's their union working out? How bout the airlines? Unions are only as strong as their members, and as DBeech said we have a lot of people here who don't care and who don't want to get involved. We couldn't get enough cards in for a vote before the raise was announced when people were the most upset, what makes you think they're going to change their minds now that the money is significantly better? Change comes from within. Your rest gets violated, ASAP it! The FAA sits in on those meetings and it seems like the new POI actually gives a fukc about it. Don't like the hotel, call it in! If it's really bad tell them you refuse to stay there for health/safety reasons, don't be afraid to put your foot down. Again, not enough people are making noise about these issues, that's why there's no changes. I see the same 10-20 names over and over on the BB, hopefully more than that are using the feedback line and personally calling their ACPs or the CP.

And for the record, yes I did send in my card.

WELL SAID!!!!!!!!

No need to be hostile here. I am simply of the opinion that management is more motivated to maximize profit at our expense. That's their job. It seems that we should have the control to influence those decisions that affect our quality of life while on the job. I would like to see the implementation of some solid policies, guaranteed not to be circumvented by need and profit. There have been changes, but many of them are more in appearance, than reality. To be truly empowered to dictate our future takes some hard and uncertain committments. I'm not some mal-content here, quite the contrary. I feel that this is a good forum for expressing those things that may not be mentioned on the company board, and a good venue to reach those that may not be on the IBT site. As it stands, and in the abstract way our policies are written. They weight heavily in the companies' favor. Those who represent the pilot group are put into the position of dictatng policy to the pilot group. Who is dictating pilot policy to management? No representation. Feedback lines and focus groups keep up appearances, but I wonder how truly effective they are.

Last edited:
I'm not hiding from anyone walsh. It's called Memorial Day weekend, and I had plans that didn't involve responding to internet tough guy "you know you're hiding" type remarks.

Jelly spined is too harsh for some. Apathetic, week willed, lacking togetherness is more appropriate. It's not a slam, but an accurate description. I certainly haven't been here as long as others, but in my time I've seen us do exactly zilch as a group to address some our serious issues here at Flex. As Joker mentioned, we'd rather form focus groups and let our CAB submit requests to mgt. That doesn't get me excited.

Things have gotten better, and were never bad to begin with. I've seen an increase in the quality of my catering since Air Chef's new menu was installed, though it would be nice to order the food myself. Our hotel quality is slipping. We'll see how that's handled. I think the new chief is probably going to work out well for us.

The point of the original post was to show that nothing was going to happen. The pro union group didn't strike while the iron was hot, and now that our economy and industry are slipping we're certainly in no position to address our management and issues as a collective. There are enough folks to start some noise, but apparently the raise covers all sins.

Latest resources

Back