• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Flexjet Management Promotes Calling Pilots while in Rest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
See, that's the problem, or maybe the trap that management in the industry likes to play. The COST is greater because...

That's a bad argument. The standard begins with safety, regulations and uninterrupted, prospective rest assignments. The concept that this costs more money is smoke and mirrors.

You see, the cost of operations of this nature must take into account the standard of uninterrupted, prospective rest for pilots. Not the other way around. "When sh*t happens in the real world" needs to be planned for without pilots responding and the company changing duty assignments while in that rest. That's not how the FAA looks at it. That's not how the NTSB looks at it. And that's how management should look at it when seeking the TRUST and respect of their pilot.

So, by agreeing to answer your phone, during what should be your uninterrupted, prospective rest; you may be providing some financial saving that the company should not depend on. You are lining someone's pocket at your expense.

Why do you guys care so much about our operation.

We are separate are looks like we are going to stay that way for the time being.

By my math you guys can start early negotiations Oct 1st.

Why don't you worry more about getting a better contract that what we are doing.

What we do doesn't affect you, but you love to stick your nose in our business.

Whoever posted this to a public site took a private discussion going on inside the company and took it public. Not sure what their intent was.

We are involved because your operation could set a bad precedent for us. We endured the abuse for years and don't want to go back to those days. Do you get paid more than us? Sure you do, but we have work rules that have to be negotiated before they can be changed. And we are no longer at-will employees. If you are a member of the "good ol boys' club" it wouldn't matter to you. For those that aren't in the club, It's pretty important.

We are involved because your operation could set a bad precedent for us. We endured the abuse for years and don't want to go back to those days. Do you get paid more than us? Sure you do, but we have work rules that have to be negotiated before they can be changed. And we are no longer at-will employees. If you are a member of the "good ol boys' club" it wouldn't matter to you. For those that aren't in the club, It's pretty important.

You have a contract. What happens to us won't affect you.

That's where you are wrong. What happens to you effects us and everyone else. When management comes to the table they have their demands as well as we. If they believe they are doing something at Flex that they want here, ie. such as calling you within your 10 hr s of rest, then they will want to implement that at Options and will demand it.
And that in there is the apparent problem, you see it as something that is strictly your problem, and not something that can, could and would affect the industry. So instead of thinking as a whole, you just like of you and how it affects you.

I'll Say It

What we do doesn't affect you, but you love to stick your nose in our business.

Whoever posted this to a public site took a private discussion going on inside the company and took it public. Not sure what their intent was.

Ok. I can't resist. That's simply BS.

Public site? Private discussion? Come on.

Seniority integration, bases, schedules...

You're happy to discuss, even argue, your position on those things and more on this "public site." But if it's something that YOU don't what known to others in the industry or discuss - it's a "private discussion." Give me a break.

So, in light of that, and in order to play on a level field, let me present the following in it's entirety.

From the Flexjet DO, email content unedited:

Date: July 23, 2014
To: Flexjet Crew
Subject: Flex pilots, for your consideration...

August 19th will mark a year that I have been back in the office. How time flies and what a year it has been. I had only been back in the office for three days when I was informed of the pending sale of the company and so started the emotional roller coaster ride. In that time the Flight Operations management team never lost sight in representing and supporting the crewmembers. Over the past year and especially the past several months it is abundantly clear that no significant quality of life changes have occurred and our new leadership wants nothing more than to win our trust and build an even better company on the foundation we established. Earning your trust in the new company with new leadership is no easy task. It is built over time and is proven through actions. It took many years for the Flight Operations team to build that relationship with its pilots. With the following issue, I am asking for your cooperation once again.

I wanted to address a topic that seems to have grown out of nowhere during the years I was out flying the line. It is the issue of the "no call list". The list of crewmembers that have told the company they are turning off their phones during rest. Before I begin down this path I must make one thing abundantly clear. If you so choose, no one in this company will ever assign you or make you answer your phone during rest. Neither I nor anyone in the company can require you to answer your phone in rest. The company has no intentions of bending that rule. So what am I talking about? I'm talking about the choice to tell the company "under no circumstances are you to call me during rest." Then making this a blanket policy for every duty day regardless of an assignment or not. I don't understand why this has become such a big issue but I truly want to understand why. It is a fact that the no-call list hurts the operation, drives more dead-head, duty hours, standby and most of all punishes the crewmembers that are not on the list. Now I'm not saying if you are tired that you don't have the option of not being disturbed. When you are fatigued you should absolutely request not to be contacted during your assigned rest period! I?m sure everyone has a story of how they were played by dispatch or scheduling and I'm sure that story is a good one. But ask yourself this question, how many times has this truly happened? I assure you whatever the number it pales in comparison to the lost opportunities, additional deadhead and unnecessary increased duty hours on you and your fellow crewmembers. I fully understand this is a two way street. Operations certainly played a hand in this as well. There is plenty of blame to go around, but the way to mend that fence starts with each and every one of us.

My request is simple. Let's bring back a level of trust we have not seen here in a while. I am asking that we abolish that list and I promise you this: no one from the company will call you more than once while you are in rest. That call will only happen in the first two and probably the last two hours of a 10 hour minimum rest. In other words you will be guaranteed 8 hours uninterrupted rest at a minimum. There will be no unnecessary calls with that 10 minute itinerary change at 4 a.m. because of an indifference to the fact you may be sleeping. If anyone calls a second time, then you are out of rest and company will back you 100%. All I am asking is that you leave your phone on along with Flexmobile during your assigned rest period. Leave texting or any other alerts off since there is always a chance of an erroneous message. There will be no repetitive emails or texts, no notifications from the company unless it's an urgent issue and no breaking your rest accept for operational purposes.

The blanket policy of not being able to call makes no sense. Knowing you are contactable is a huge advantage to the operation and will go a long way in rebuilding the diminished level of trust, but it must start with you. We have a fantastic group of crewmembers and you all have proven to be team players. Like we have said many times before the ball is dropped just about every day and you guys pick it up running. We understand you are the backbone of this operation and we also understand this is a sensitive issue. Again, if you feel you need the rest, call the company, tell them you are turning the phone off, pull the curtains and go to sleep. You will get no push back from us, only our support. Rest assured we have your backs.

I want you to know I have put out a similar request to the operations floor. My motivation to return to the office was the opportunity to work on pilot quality of life issues and to make this an even better place to work. I didn't anticipate the sale and all the anxiety. Let's face it, it's been a tough year full of uncertainty but now things are certainly looking up. You voted for 34 new bases and it was approved. Many of you have upgraded, more than we have seen in years. Soon we will have paperless expense reporting, we are making progress on last day rules, and much more to come. It is an exciting time to be working for Flexjet! Lastly, know you're Chief Pilots and I are here to support you. It's time to build back the trust we have lost. In the next several weeks we will be calling everyone on the no-call list. We want to listen to your concerns and ultimately we will respect any decision you make. All we ask is that you please consider putting back the trust in us and your company. The decision either way is up to you.

Last edited:
Thanks Architect.
From what I read, the company lost the pilots trust and the pilots added their names to the "no call" list. Something must have been going on for the list to even exist. It had to involve more that just a few isolated wake up calls.

A Step Closer

It's ok to change your position on things. Like we don't need representation anymore, or maybe we need to consideration if we need representation.

Keep this in mind, if you don't thing that the senior executives and their underlings from these different companies communicate, your wrong. The largest competitors in the industry exchange concepts in order to produce financial gains on the backs of the workers. That's just the way it is.

So, when it comes to labor-management relationships, policies and guidelines, what happens at Flexjet affects Netjets, Flight Options and others. Just like what happens at Netjets affects Flexjet and Flight Options. Flexjet pilots have experienced that first hand.

But, do you think what is said here really affects any of that? Do you? Seriously?

This is a place of open, free, anonymous exchanges of concepts, ideas, company policies and much more. The people that really decide what happens in the workplace are management. Unless you are represented by a union. Period.

You are an "at will" employee or not. There may not be a single right answer to that choice. Perhaps one question is which way may result in even a little better work environment?

El raton, you and your fellow workers have the ability to make that choice when and if you choose. But, it's a good thing to at least consider where you want to stand on issues. The sad thing is some of your fellow workers, for whatever reason, make a hard stand of pro or anti-union and do not see beyond that. Stay open, think about your opportunities and don't draw a line in the sand without considering every option available.

Thanks Architect.
From what I read, the company lost the pilots trust and the pilots added their names to the "no call" list. Something must have been going on for the list to even exist. It had to involve more that just a few isolated wake up calls.

I see the light!!!! The sky is falling...quick! Quick! Get the teamsters. I want to give what I have away for some sh!tty representation.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back