Flexjet January meeting

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ArtVandalay

Well, Mr. Gross put a statement on BB that there WILL be an announcement and a meeting before January 12 (within 30 days from Dec 12), about our new compensation package that will be in effect FEB 1. I've been at flex for a while and if they don't match at least Njets pay or CS pay AND reduce the days to at least 15 a month, I'm out. As I believe, alot of people will leave. There has been alot of talk from management for a long time with no bite. I've heard of people quiting being told by RH to stick it out that things are going to greatly improve. Well, we'll see, supposedly in a few weeks, if anyone had the croutons to stand up to Corporate and go to bat for us. 221 days per year at our pay is insane when you compare it to other fractionals. Here is a comparison of our current pay scale, which you can get on airlinepilotcentral.com. I've just condensed it for easy viewing:

F/O FLEXJET CSHARES NETJETS

YEAR 1 $35,360 $40,000 $39,000
YEAR 2 $38,675 $45,000 $40,950
YEAR 3 $40,885 $50,000 $43,000
YEAR 4 $44,200 $51,250 $45,150
YEAR 5 $45,526 $52,530 $47,410

CAPT

YEAR 1 $56,797 $64,000 $52,500
YEAR 2 $59,670 $66,000 $61,880
YEAR 3 $62,101 $72,000 $71,250
YEAR 4 $69,836 $81,000 $80,630
YEAR 5 $72,046 $91,000 $90,000

You forgot Flight Options crappy crap for a payscale

FLIGHTOPTIONS
FO:
Year 1 $33,996
Year 2 $36,000
Year 3 $39,996
Year 4 $45,996
Year 5 $51,996

Capt:
Year 1 51,996
Year 2 54,396
Year 3 56,796
Year 4 63,156
Year 5 66,372

And lets not forget the "slide to poverty", meaning a year 5 copilot moves to Year 1 Capt pay when you upgrade to Capt. Yea it will take about 5 or more years to upgrade.

That's what they say......However it is just another delay tactic. In Jan, they will say expect something in March, in March expect something in June, etc, etc. They claim we can't afford it.
icon21.gif

One thing to note here, from a strictly outsiders point of view (I'm a flex guy) is that it look slike CS is really putting a lot of thought behind the idea of FO retention. For any CS guys out there do you feel this is true not just in pay but also in managerial attitude? Is it more reflective of the fact that upgrades are slowing down and they realize attrition and training is more expensive than a higher payscale? What's the skinny?

I believe upgrades at flex are happening much more rapidly now than previously forcasted (espcecially on the reduced schedule proposal). The total lack of respect though has made me want to go regardless UNLESS there is a successful union drive. I turned down two jobs recently (they both had Jan 1 start dates and were lateral moves so don't think I'm too stupid) so I can hang around for the union drive. If flex unionizes, I will stay, if not I will go May 1 -- right after the bonus check. Hey I didn't work my a$$ off for nothing last year... I hear a lot of people are thinking my way. Vishnu help RH on May 1...

learflyer said:
That's what they say......However it is just another delay tactic. In Jan, they will say expect something in March, in March expect something in June, etc, etc. They claim we can't afford it.http://forums.flightinfo.com/images/icons/icon21.gif

One issue no one wants to talk about is the fact that Bomabardier is hiding 2-3 million EXTRA profit on FJ plane sales PLUS the profit they garner from the sale to begin with. In other words, when Bombardier sells a plane to FJ owners it is at full sticker price, if they sell it directly to XYZ company, the price is 2 or 3 mil lower. Management is trying some sneaky tactics in there disclosure about all this.

As an operations company, we do not post any plane sales profit to our books, we simply post the red and black of our operating costs versus our management fees. So yeah, this year we posted a small profit -- the only fractional that was able to run our operation solely on what contract fees we brought in. That is a great accomplishment, but the profit is small. So management tells us there is not enough room to pay for raises, reduced schedules etc without going into the red again. True enough.

But if we posted the just extra profit of say just 2 mil per plane, the is room and then some. If one wants to really assess the facts, we must look all the facts, all the books. Yet is is obvious they think we are not smart enough to figure out their ruse.

Bombardier will never sell us off as long as they can make more selling planes to FJ owners versus NJ or FLOPS. If NJA starts offering premium on lears then we ought to worry, but until then it ain't gonna happen. A small portion of that extra premuim is a small price to pay -- we'll see if we get it.

If I am wrong about this, please tell me -- I don't want to be stirring up a hornets nest over untruths. But this is how some very smart people explained it to me and I have no reason to doubt their input. And the fact that FJ managment won't clear up this matter even though they've been asked, is more telling than not.

Peter_Griffin said:
One issue no one wants to talk about is the fact that Bomabardier is hiding 2-3 million EXTRA profit on FJ plane sales PLUS the profit they garner from the sale to begin with. In other words, when Bombardier sells a plane to FJ owners it is at full sticker price, if they sell it directly to XYZ company, the price is 2 or 3 mil lower. Management is trying some sneaky tactics in there disclosure about all this.

As an operations company, we do not post any plane sales profit to our books, we simply post the red and black of our operating costs versus our management fees. So yeah, this year we posted a small profit -- the only fractional that was able to run our operation solely on what contract fees we brought in. That is a great accomplishment, but the profit is small. So management tells us there is not enough room to pay for raises, reduced schedules etc without going into the red again. True enough.

But if we posted the just extra profit of say just 2 mil per plane, the is room and then some. If one wants to really assess the facts, we must look all the facts, all the books. Yet is is obvious they think we are not smart enough to figure out their ruse.

Bombardier will never sell us off as long as they can make more selling planes to FJ owners versus NJ or FLOPS. If NJA starts offering premium on lears then we ought to worry, but until then it ain't gonna happen. A small portion of that extra premuim is a small price to pay -- we'll see if we get it.

If I am wrong about this, please tell me -- I don't want to be stirring up a hornets nest over untruths. But this is how some very smart people explained it to me and I have no reason to doubt their input. And the fact that FJ managment won't clear up this matter even though they've been asked, is more telling than not.

I doubt Bombardier whole aircraft, or Gulfstream for that matter, is discounting the C300 (or G450/550) much, if any. With a 2 year order backlog, it seems the aircraft sells itself. Plus, I'd bet flex jet would give a discount if someone bought half or an entire plane. Monthly fees pay for crew, training, hangaring, etc. What pays for all the hundreds or thousands of people in the support staff in various office buildings around the country? rooting around their website, I see they don't have positiong fees to europe, hawaii, or the caribbean. This must operationally cost a ton as positioning a lear from miami to aruba empty has got to hurt. Both ways. Or a CL to Hawaii or Europe, empty, both ways. What about all the shares repurchased at different times? What happens with all of them? They must be on someone's books-no? Who pays the maintenance/insurance on these shares owned by the fractional company? Where does the advertising money for ads in the WSJ come from? Can't be cheap? What about the NetJet mile sponsorship or free flying that Don Imus does?
It's an interesting business model-I learned much of these dynamics from www.fractionalinsider.com

Last edited:
I don't doubt that the other Frac companies tell their pilots that they can't afford to pay fairly, while they shuffle the money around in a classic shell game. Two more classics they excel at--foot-dragging and broken promises. If they're so comfortable with the salaries they pay the pilots, why don't they share management salaries as a comparison? That's a list they don't dare show! The FO wages are deplorable at all the Frac companies, and the Captain salaries are insulting at others. I didn't blame those NJ pilots who voted NO for doing so. IMO, only the probationary year can justify the low pay and even that shouldn't be below 40K. The jumps should be bigger after that and quicker.

None of the Fracs pay the FOs fairly! NJ pilots were too far behind (blame it on management foot-dragging and prior weak leadership in the union) to catch up completely this time. Many see the contract as a stepping stone in an on-going struggle to get all of the pilots fair wages. Looking at the pay list makes me angry for all of you that are being underpaid. Your best chance of changing the situation is to band together and stand up for what you're worth. The more of you that will do that --across the industry--the greater your chance of success.
Good luck to all of you!
NJW

PILOTS ARE PROFESSIONALS AND SHOULD BE PAID AS SUCH

A RISING TIDE SHOULD LIFT ALL BOATS--BUT PADDLING IS REQUIRED

We have all been arguing on this web board how this company treats their pilots unfairly and how that one has a bad business plan and we as pilots are never getting paid what we deserve. I agree with a lot of these statements but at the same time we are blaming the wrong people. We as pilots are only worth what we negotiate. I use to work for Flex and at the time I was in a position where I could only negotiate so much, but after a certain amount of time I was offered a better position for better pay and I didn’t take the offer at first because I wanted to see how far this other company would offer. And when I was satisfied I put in my two weeks. Those at Flex or FLOPS all have the option of going out and negotiate a better life for themselves. Those that come up with some excuse and complain on how the company is screwing are scared and expect others to negotiate a better life for them. Yeah cause that’s gonna happen. This situation is not unique to the aviation industry.
If you want the situation to change at both FLOPS and Flex then don’t take the job. Go to the interview, make them want to hire you and then when they offer you a position, reject their offer and say that their compensation package is not competitive with the rest of the industry and when they say that “things are going to change for the better in the near future”, tell them “ok, give me a call when that happens”, and walk out. When both companies don’t have the manpower to operate the company then the owners, who have all the money, get pissed and take their business somewhere else. Management then will decide to offer something more competitive because they want the company to survive because they still want a job. Both companies can afford competitive salaries because rich people will always want their toys no matter the cost.
So those of you who come on this forum and are looking for advice, here is the best advice one could give. Negotiate what your worth. We all know what the pay scales are, so don’t act surprise when you take the job and find out a year from now that you could be making more. Demand more by not taking the job. Netjets and Citation shares are both hiring and offer better packages. Aim for those if you are thinking about getting into the fractional industry. But still do the interviews with Flex or FLOPS and reject them, because that is the only way that they will learn.

Latest resources

Back