Flexjet & Fred Reid

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FastJP4

Fred Reid starts his tenure at Flexjet this monday. He joins Flex with over 30 years of MAJOR airline experience. Those airlines include:
Virgin America
Delta - where he led the post 9-11 furloughs/Song was his pet project and was the architect of Delta's RJ strategy
Lufthansa
Pan Am
American Airlines

I am curious why a Fractional would hire someone with a Major background to lead the company.

I wonder if he is going to go into Flex and try and run it like an airline.

Why is he leaving Virgin for Flex?

What impact will he have on jobs/growth at Flex?

With Flex being successful - will it continue or will it go down the same path as some of his other endeavours?

Don't know the guy, just curious to what some of you think about this.

Fred Reid starts his tenure at Flexjet this monday. He joins Flex with over 30 years of MAJOR airline experience. Those airlines include:
Virgin America
Delta - where he led the post 9-11 furloughs/Song was his pet project and was the architect of Delta's RJ strategy
Lufthansa
Pan Am
American Airlines

I am curious why a Fractional would hire someone with a Major background to lead the company.

With Flex being successful - will it continue or will it go down the same path as some of his other endeavours?

He was forced out of Virgin America as part of the certification package with the DOT.

I just remember that he was a HUGE fan of RJs while working for Delta. A HUGE fan. His knickname there was also Fred GREED. Have fun with that.

I bet they saw what a great job Micheal Sheeringa did with FLOPS and wanted to bring that great airline service to Flex jet customers. ;)

He was forced out of Virgin America as part of the certification package with the DOT.

He was removed at VA for having "longstanding association with foreign investors [that] raised concerns about who would control the new carrier". Perhaps Flex wants to leverage these associations. But I would think if this was a concern of the DOT at a 121 carrier, it will eventually be a concern with him at a 135 carrier.

He was removed at VA for having "longstanding association with foreign investors [that] raised concerns about who would control the new carrier". Perhaps Flex wants to leverage these associations. But I would think if this was a concern of the DOT at a 121 carrier, it will eventually be a concern with him at a 135 carrier.

branson recruited him for VA because he's good and DOT just pacified the competition to get VA certified

great move for flex

Virgin America
Lufthansa
Pan Am
American Airlines

1)My answer to the first question is strictly conjecture mixed with wishful thinking. Fred has extensive experience with international ops. He is here to usher in the era of the Global.

2) If he tries to run it like an airline, he won't last long. Why would an owner pay $1 mil. + to be treated like meat.

3) Greed had a non-compete clause at Delta. To get around the restriction and join Virgin, he signed a contract to work personally for Dickie B. The DOT, at the urging of the airlines, deemed that to be too much foreign influence. And out the door he went.

4) I have no idea. TBD.

5) Again, I think he won't last long if Flex falters. Mike McQuay spent too much blood making us profitable. He didn't do that so that Greed can ruin it.

That's my opinion. Remember, opinions are like a--h---s. Everyone has one, and they all stink.

I don't think this would be a concern. Flex is already under foreign ownership.

Well may be since he's got such strong backgroung with international ops, he can convince Bombardier to stop been soo conservative about expanding our fleet to something with longer range like the 605!
I've flown many, many owners that keep asking us when is Flex Jet going to get globals!
This program was introduce to Flex Jet couple years ago but it was unsuccessful.
May be there is a hope for more growth or destruction!!.....who knows, but I guess making an opnion here in FI most everyone will go for my second choice.

Latest resources

Back