• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FLASH, This just in,...NWA and DAL pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The airline's No. 2 executive, Ed Bastian, had been scheduled to make the trip but canceled amid talk that merger discussions with Northwest Airlines may be re-heating. Similarly, Delta chief executive Richard Anderson canceled plans to be on a new flight to London's Heathrow Airport, also being inaugurated Sunday.

This is a quote from the Atlanta journal constitution regarding the new non-stop service between Atlanta and China. It looks like the Delta executives are serious about this merger with Northwest seeing that the CEO and president cancelled their trips with the Governor and business delegates from Atlanta. This merger may be imminent. April 2008 will be very interesting.

We were, and are, told that the option has been removed by other events. We were also told this was not a negotiation, this was a deal.

The separation of fact from public posturing to force movement by the other side is an difficult process. That's why I've always advocated watching their feet.

I'm not calling you a liar, but somebody somewhere is completely failing to manage expectations and that could very well be a fatal political mistake.

The legitimacy of your (or my) expectations depends on how close to the topic we are when me make them. The farther you step back to observe the industry - and our place within it - the more pragmatic you become. Show me a pilot with a "normal" career path who realized all of his expectations...and you'll see he was the exception rather than the rule.

The people that will make the ultimate decision on this merger are the amoral cannibals at Wayzata, Cargill, Pardus, Blackstone, and Owl Creek...along with our SkyTeam cousins at AF/KLM. Anderson will have a say, but he doesn't hold a majority of the shares (and proxies) those vultures do.

I'll admit the Delta BOD could over ride Delta's leadership, but ALPA's got a person on the board and of course Anderson is there. My point is if what you write is true, many people have painted themselves in a corner and the political fall out would be nasty for not only for the Delta Reps, but also senior management.

1. "Could" override? He is THEIR tool...not vice versa. If it happens it will be their decision, and Richard will do what they say.

2. Your BOD seat is non-voting. That's an F/A giving you advice on how to land in a crosswind from behind the door.

3. Public statements have a purpose. Your Merger Team has done a little negotiating in the press with them to elicit a reaction from us. We've done the same, essentially. The management statements have been made to prevent panic and/or a log-jam by middle managers at the good resume printer.

I genuinely disagree with you about the merger's inevitability. I'm not saying you are wrong, but I simply do not see how it can be forced by the minority who's management will not be the leadership in the combined entity.

A little Googling is in order then. Count the voting shares held by investors who aren't interested in building or running an airline. They are NOT the "minority". Add a party-of-interest (AF/KLM) with a desire to solidify their future and a checkbook full of euros, and you have the perfect set-up for this.

The displaced managers will be compensated, and will hook up with other airlines.

Perhaps you are right and I am a fool for believing the press, my reps, and management who are held accountable, over nameless web board rumor.

Nah...all you gotta do is review which source has been more accurate to-date.

The management statements have been made to prevent panic and/or a log-jam by middle managers at the good resume printer.

Heyas Occam,

I've been trying to use that printer, but all it does is sit there and say "PC LOAD LETTER". What the fcuk does that mean?

Nu

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back