• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FLASH, This just in,...NWA and DAL pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There is another angle to this. Some of the aircraft cited to be cut are listed on the basis of their lease renewals. If Delta has success negotiating favorable lease rates the airplanes will stay in service. This press announcement had the effect of showing management's intent to be proactive and also was a shot across the bow for those holding leases that they need to be reasonable, or Delta will turn the aircraft back in.

Since some of these jets are the 757's, 767's and 767-400s (which is not confirmed) these airplanes are jets Delta currently intends to operate at the right price. The maintenance guys just say the 88's are going to get parked.

I said the 88's were at risk months ago on this board and was attacked for it. You do not see any CRJ700, or 900's getting parked, do you?

As written so many times before, the Delta and NWA guys need to get the RJ flying back to mainline as part of any merger discussions (at least the large RJ's that are MORE efficient than mainline jets). Unfortunately no one cares - and it was not even an agenda item.

Last edited:
There is another angle to this. Some of the aircraft cited to be cut are listed on the basis of their lease renewals. If Delta has success negotiating favorable lease rates the airplanes will stay in service. This press announcement had the effect of showing management's intent to be proactive and also was a shot across the bow for those holding leases that they need to be reasonable, or Delta will turn the aircraft back in.

Since some of these jets are the 757's, 767's and 767-400s (which is not confirmed) these airplanes are jets Delta currently intends to operate at the right price. The maintenance guys just say the 88's are going to get parked.

I said the 88's were at risk months ago on this board and was attacked for it. You do not see any CRJ700, or 900's getting parked, do you?

As written so many times before, the Delta and NWA guys need to get the RJ flying back to mainline as part of any merger discussions (at least the large RJ's that are MORE efficient than mainline jets). Unfortunately no one cares - and it was not even an agenda item.

I only heard 15 MD-80's and 5 older 757's were going to be parked. Maybe kept if the leases were renegotiated low enough. Where did you hear 767-400's being parked if the leases weren't lowered? How is worldwide demand for that airframe right now?

As he stated it is unconfirmed, But the mtc guys seem to know all this stuff. I was talking to a few last weeks and there are a few 400's that have leases coming up.
As fins said it is just a possibility. If these leasers want more money DAL will just give them back, plain and simple. Kind of like our passengers only flying on the lowest fare. Two can play at this game

Iron City:

I think the likely scenario that somewhere in between 0 and 15 MD88's get sold. The 767-400 rumor was not confirmed, but if the prices on the 767-400 are not right, the price on a 777 might be better.

It bothers me that there is such a gap between the 76 seat RJ and the 142 seat MD88, with fewer 88's the pressure will be even greater to outsource mainline flying.

The mainline guys really need to look at the inevitable re-fleeting of the 100 to 150 seat jet market. For a whole host of reasons the MD88 (or DC9 or 31* Airbus product) are going to be the loser and those jobs will go the way of the 737-200 positions.

Last edited:

I agree completely!:beer:

Anderson is very proactive, he has no choice. Another trip thru BK is not going to be succesful (Liquidation likely).
Keep showing how stupid you are, at least you're not dissapointing!

The ship is filling with water, he has no choice.
No more so than that little pisshead of a brain!
Please go back to midwest chucky! I realize that with the possibility of a nwa/dal merger you're nervous, being an FNG!

Last edited:
Otherwise Agree.:beer:

That forcast is based on our model as of today...not what mgmt is putting out in the very near future.The nines were going to come to ATL....I know that for sure. Now who knows?DAL is still running classes and will be doing so unitl early May. On hold after that.

That forcast is based on our model as of today...not what mgmt is putting out in the very near future.The nines were going to come to ATL....I know that for sure. Now who knows?DAL is still running classes and will be doing so unitl early May. On hold after that.

Thats great news, NWA is running classes through July the rest of the people hired supposedly are in a pool. Either way this goes down both companies should be in decent positions. Good luck

Iron City:

I think the likely scenario that somewhere in between 0 and 15 MD88's get sold. The 767-400 rumor was not confirmed, but if the prices on the 767-400 are not right, the price on a 777 might be better.

It bothers me that there is such a gap between the 76 seat RJ and the 142 seat MD88, with fewer 88's the pressure will be even greater to outsource mainline flying.

The mainline guys really need to look at the inevitable re-fleeting of the 100 to 150 seat jet market. For a whole host of reasons the MD88 (or DC9 or 31* Airbus product) are going to be the loser and those jobs will go the way of the 737-200 positions.

Agree with everything except the implication that all narrowbody flying is in danger. It is not, unless it is sold for a cookie. I think priority number 1 for every upcoming contract should be to recapture any jet over 50 seats. That is more important than hourly rate raises, night overrides, per diem bumps and rigs. If the flying is gone, the rest of the contract doesn't mean anything. The more flying you outsource, the more pressure there is to outsource. I am against the notion of any kind of a B scale, but if the only way to get the 51+ seaters back on the mainline seniority lists is market based pay and work rule side letters, it has to be done. B scales are bad. Outsourcing is worse.

Both sides hooked-up today. DAL wants to re-engage.

The talks on Thursday and Friday didn't get anything done, but the next meeting should.

Latest resources

Back