• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

First timer to Mexico

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks for all the replies gents. The trip isn't until January, but you know what they say about getting your ducks in a row early. Also, we have 2 airplanes going down there in November for 20 days each. The SIC on one of those will by my SIC on the trip as he was born and raised in Mexico.

I definately think the handler idea is top notch and will request one.

Roger that, it will be fun. Mexico is not a big deal. They are very much into the modern world now. Just smile and be patient with the "pace" they do things. Other than that, you will be fine.

Use ICCS as the handler they are without a doubt the best. The RFP guys are really nice and they actually offered to share there lunch with us. But then again I am a freight dog and go down to Mexico all the time. I have found a little spanish and humility does go a long way.

I used to fly cargo in to Mexico several days a week, been to Las Mochis. Love that part of Mexico; some of the coast there is beautiful. Guymas, about 160 miles north up the coast is prettier, if that's worth anything to you.

The primary deal behind everything going on when you land in Mexico is blowing smoke up the local commandancia's a$$. Be respectful, bring lots of Pesos. If you ask for a reciept you can expect everything to cost about double because then Jorge can't pocket the $$ to pay for sex. The Fox administration was trying to cut down on local pocket-lining with a bunch of posters in airports telling you to please not bribe the officials. Nobody paid them any attention. Almost everywhere I used to go the guy or gal behind the counter where you pay the fees would look at you and ask very suggestively if you wanted a reciept. Just say "esta bien"....and you can save big bucks Or bucks, at least, if that matters to you.

The guy in the flight plan office will correct your mistakes and usually with a smile(because he thinks you're stupid). We kept folders in all our a/c that had our mexican insurance policy, ops specs, and something else I think that I'm forgetting.

Handler.....you give one of these guys a couple hundred bucks and he'll shine your shoes at the end of the day. The few times I used them, usually in Central America or deep into Mexico where my busted-ass spanish wouldn't suffice, they were great. Very hard working guys; you'll get what you're paying for, some of them almost won't let you go to the bano without shaking it off for you.

I think someone already covered it but what the hell: Land, sign the kid with the rifle's sheet of paper, let the dogs on if they bring them, close your flight plan, clear customs. If you're going right back out you can close and refile at the same time then take one of the copies of the flight plan to the fee office and get them working on it all at once while you clear customs.

Don't eat ice, don't drink tap water, don't let the shower spray you in the face, don't brush your teeth with tap water, don't eat veggies with skin(like tomatoes), do try a michelada(again with NO ICE), do have fun. The people are very nice. And it's true, hurrying is an American affliction.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back