Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rchcfi

How slow can you go
OK, so I just found out I will be heading south of the border for the first time. I believe to Ciudad Obregon to clear customs and fuel, then onto Los Mochis (because they don't have fuel?). Anyway, am wondering if there is anyone out there in Flightinfo land that could give me the ins and outs of flying down there. Or if anyone has specific details about Los Mochis. I believe it is MMLM.

Thanks

OK, so I just found out I will be heading south of the border for the first time. I believe to Ciudad Obregon to clear customs and fuel, then onto Los Mochis (because they don't have fuel?). Anyway, am wondering if there is anyone out there in Flightinfo land that could give me the ins and outs of flying down there. Or if anyone has specific details about Los Mochis. I believe it is MMLM.

Thanks

Well, just dont drink anything that wasn't bottled and enjoy the great food!! Now you'll get the taste Authentic! Oh yeah, one last thing. Unless you're hispanic, then be ready to maybe have some kind of squirts. No Mac & Cheese, Meatloaf, or Pot Roast down there. (or whatever crackers eat):D

Have you considered getting a handler? My book shows both have fuel and are airports of entry. For first time, I'd go that route.

Pack the Prist if you are bringing the 550. We took our 550 down there and had trouble finding it..... We had the handlers round some up for us....

Have fun!

Mexico is not a big deal, but it's got to be done right. I'd definately recommend that you use a handler for the first time or two or three... They'll keep you out of trouble. A handler will lead you by the hand and keep you out of trouble. You'll also need a Mexican insurance policy.

When all is said and done the biggest pain associated with international flying is clearing U.S. customs on the way back. Have fun!

LS

recommend handler for "first timers" to Mexico, once you do it a few times and you get to know the airport people, you can then do it on your own.

Mexico is way chilled out, don't believe all the stories. Shake hands with everybody and smile and say "Hola" to everyone and you will be fine. If the soldiers want to search your plane, let them. You are on their turf. The are NOT going to plant anything on the plane.

If you have some coca-cola's in the ice chest, give them to the soldiers and they will love you.

This forum below is all Mexican pilots and students, post your same post in English on this thread, "Aviacian Real" and give it a few days and you will get any question about Mexico answered.

http://fsmex.com/foros/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=91092a025de86058c8218d6fb5635a4a

When you land, things will happen in this sequence, at most Mexican airports. Some places slight variation. Mostly the same tho

1. Taxi to parking. If you need fuel, tell the tower you need "combustible" (pronounced COME-BOO-STEE-BLAY) and they will contact the fueler. Fuel truck dude is gonna keep watching soccer unless someone calls him. He will NOT go to the plane and ask if you need fuel. FYI
2. A black and white Polica Federal Preventiva (PFP) truck or car will pull up, with light-bar flashing. This is NORMAL. Airport security at all Mexican airports is under the control of PFP. Keep it friendly and say hola, and put your hand out to shake hands with the officers.
3. A 19 year old kid in green army uniform and a rifle will walk to the plane, and sheepishly ask in horrible english where you came from and where you are going. He will ask the "matricula" (tail number) and the pilot(s) names, which he will scribble down on a worn-down, rained-on, notepad. Smile and offer him a coke from the ice chest.
4. You or the handler need to physically go to the flight plan office to close your flight-plan. Bring your passports, mexican insurance with you. The airport commandante will review the documents, then stamp your flight plan form with his seal, then the flight plan office will "accept it" to be closed. Hopefully he is not on a siesta or at his latin girlfriends house. This is where using a handler, who knows Commandante Jose, is good, versus you landing and walking into his office cold. He don't know you (yet).

don't worry, no big deal

Last edited:
Dido on what satpak77 said but just make sure you and you pax's have passports or voters cards with drivers license for Mex INS. Also keep an eye on the folks that check you ACFT things will get lost especially with the PFP not to worry about the Army Guys they will be sent to jail if you complain but for the PFP it's their way of life.

Just use a handler and be done with it... Been doing it for 7 years now and this is the only unquestionable advice I can give you...

You might not need to 95% of the time but it's the 1% that will get you in trouble.

If you can't afford a handler, you can't afford to fly to Mexico. Get it ???

and make sure that you get turbosina (jet fuel) not gasavion (avgas) unless thats what you want. but everyones right, no biggie. and you can enter in los mochis. The tower controler / handler (pegasus) is very nice and knowledgeable. Its a little slow down there (flight plans get passed up to the tower in a bucket with a rope on it). Its a great place to enter, much easier than cabo, la paz, etc. Usually not busy at all down there. The people in town do not speak much english at all, even the hotel desk will speak broken english. Morroco is a fun place to hang out, and the fish at 'al maviri' (the beach) is good. Always a good idea to call and verify fuel before you go of course. But as eveyones said, worst part is customs coming back, ha ha.

Just use a handler and be done with it... Been doing it for 7 years now and this is the only unquestionable advice I can give you...

You might not need to 95% of the time but it's the 1% that will get you in trouble.

If you can't afford a handler, you can't afford to fly to Mexico. Get it ???

Good advice ... but what about the other 4% of the time. ;)

Latest resources

Back