• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

First SLI thread of the day

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If the mou guys end up being only shown as XJ guys things will be interesting since we now have a scope violation on property. We will all be one family post sli but it now sets a precedent that a Mesaba guy was flying a pinnacle aircraft. May not matter now but the new hires have a ripe grievance, mgmt has a case for using mou guys in the future (can you imagine this applied in a comair merger- hypothetical) and this mou will probably be given such a negative light that it won't be used in the future.

These issues reach for deeper than simple emotions for a higher number. There are implications politically, professionally, and personally between pilots. Bloch has all these factors to weigh. Then once he issues his award it will be interesting to see if the threatened actions of some come true.

I predict this is the calm before the storm.

If the mou guys end up being only shown as XJ guys things will be interesting since we now have a scope violation on property. We will all be one family post sli but it now sets a precedent that a Mesaba guy was flying a pinnacle aircraft. May not matter now but the new hires have a ripe grievance, mgmt has a case for using mou guys in the future (can you imagine this applied in a comair merger- hypothetical) and this mou will probably be given such a negative light that it won't be used in the future.

These issues reach for deeper than simple emotions for a higher number. There are implications politically, professionally, and personally between pilots. Bloch has all these factors to weigh. Then once he issues his award it will be interesting to see if the threatened actions of some come true.

Higney, the precedent is already set. Pinnacle is flying an XJ 900 right now. I don't think it is scope violation because the old contracts are gonezo. I do agree though. When this award comes out, I fear there is going to be a lot of issues to sort through. I will state right now that I will accept whatever the list says, deal with it, and move on. I will not support legal actions by any MEC (unless it comes out that straight up wrong information was provided to Mr. Bloch on any of the lists).

Oh that plane that went fom freedom to comair to pinnacle to mesaba and now back to pinnacle. Go delta! Has there ever been a unmerger? I want nwa back

Did you think you would ever say that five years ago? :) I know I wouldn't have. But since then I have had to spend a lot of money finishing my four year degree originally so I was ready to flow to Delta, now it's to get the hell out of the regionals in general. I used to not care if I was stuck at Mesaba making 100k flying a 900. Now, I can't get out soon enough.

Last edited:

I doubt it's a scope violation because we are now under one contract. The scope provision you quote no longer exists. These pilots are merely being held in their current provisions by the bypass policy of our combined contract. They can do that for 90 days, then these individuals would have to start training for their new positions. This is why our DFO is asking these individuals what they would like to do. If they stay at their current positions, they may have to forfeit their XJ seniority. If they elect to go to LGA, the bypass would remain until the bitter end, or the SLI is complete. I believe everyone, including the company, is waiting to see how the SLI wraps up. If it takes too long they will be forced to start training and move them.

The active status, is in Blochs hands. People keep saying that traditionally furloughed pilots are put after the active pilots, and that is true. Except, no one has ever had a MOU like this. We are in uncharted territory. Bloch could rule in any number of ways on this, not just how it has been in the past. I believe you alluded to this earlier. The success or failure of this MOU may come back to haunt us later in our careers. If it works well, we may have some protections if our future employer merges. If it fails, it will be status quo, and good luck in a future merger.

One more wrench is the reinstatement rights, these do not have to go in seniority order. If the bypass runs out, and these individuals go to training, and then a subsequent vacancy opens up on their previous aircraft, they can be reinstated to that position out of seniority order. This lasts an additional 90 days.

Did you think you would ever say that five years ago? :) I know I wouldn't have. But since then I have had to spend a lot of money finishing my four year degree originally so I was ready to flow to Delta, now it's to get the hell out of the regionals in general. I used to not care if I was stuck at Mesaba making 100k flying a 900. Now, I can't get out soon enough.
I never planned on being here 12 years, my career expectation here was about 5.
I never though Express, with 300 pilots, would get all those CRJs. (I was cocky once too)
I never thought a contract we fought for in 02-04, would be the best compensation in a merger 9 years later. 4 years after it's original expiration, and with multiple forced concessions.
I never thought that as profitable XJ was, that it would be forced into BK. ESP in 6 weeks.
I never though being wholly owned was such a bad position.
I never thought an LOA that was for the greater good of the pilots involved, would be turned around as a negative integration method by people that were in middle school when it was signed.
I never thought that I would lose seniority to someone that had the same career expectation as me, so that they can get the PIC time and interview alongside me for a position that I have been forced to wait for by outside economic and political forces. (guess this is yet to be seen, but I'm gearing up mentally for it)

I never planned on being here 12 years, my career expectation here was about 5.
I never though Express, with 300 pilots, would get all those CRJs. (I was cocky once too)
I never thought a contract we fought for in 02-04, would be the best compensation in a merger 9 years later. 4 years after it's original expiration, and with multiple forced concessions.
I never thought that as profitable XJ was, that it would be forced into BK. ESP in 6 weeks.
I never though being wholly owned was such a bad position.
I never thought an LOA that was for the greater good of the pilots involved, would be turned around as a negative integration method by people that were in middle school when it was signed.
I never thought that I would lose seniority to someone that had the same career expectation as me, so that they can get the PIC time and interview alongside me for a position that I have been forced to wait for by outside economic and political forces. (guess this is yet to be seen, but I'm gearing up mentally for it)
Right on as usual, Murph. Right there with ya!

at 8 years at mesaba, I am there as well. I will also mention I never thought the majority of 9E pilots would stay quiet and allow their representation to do what they have done for the last few years. I also must say that same 9E majority has been quiet and had no voice when DOH would be better for them-but then again the staple crap that was proposed shows how they were all willing to screw most of MEsaba and all of Colgan just for their gain.

Can we expect anything this week?

Latest resources

Back