• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

First Pinnacle CRJ delivered to Mesaba.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I guess some of the street captains that just started class last week are saying that they were told in the interview process that they would be getting paid captain pay from day one. Since they haven't seen a pay check yet they are believing this claim. Maybe it is true but I find it hard to believe the contract would allow this without retro pay being paid out to some of the others? Anybody know whats going on here?

Yes, we were told that by the head of HR in the first day of indoc. It was quite the surprise for the 9 of us, as a matter of fact it was told to us with the words "Merry Christmas".

We have not seen the first paycheck yet, but I have to admit I'm hopeful...it certainly would make the holidays considerably more enjoyable.

Yes, we were told that by the head of HR in the first day of indoc. It was quite the surprise for the 9 of us, as a matter of fact it was told to us with the words "Merry Christmas".

We have not seen the first paycheck yet, but I have to admit I'm hopeful...it certainly would make the holidays considerably more enjoyable.

Indeed it would. Yeah the captain pay from day one is another new thing they did. Of course there's always going to be some that "dont like it". But it seems that there's always someone that hates everything and/or anything that happens. People protested about them hiring street captains, then about captain pay from day one, and soon the hiring of CRJ captains of the street. That's just the way it is.

i've heard that claim also (street hire ca) making ca pay off the bat. whats with that, great for them, but what about the 4 or 5 year f.o's in class right now upgrading then having to wait over a month for ioe, thats crazy i'm stuck at f.o rate the whole time until ioe is complete.

1.) ARE WE 100% certrain that they are getting ca pay?, or are we at the point where we need to wait until they get a pay stub?

2.) Who made the claim, was it steve taylor in h.r?

i have heard restifo make the claim to other that they are going to get ca pay from day one.

but what about the 4 or 5 year f.o's in class right now upgrading then having to wait over a month for ioe, thats crazy i'm stuck at f.o rate the whole time until ioe is complete.

These FOs need to talk with the Association to see if a grievance would be possible. I don't know the details, so I can't say for sure, but it seems as though the company is treating these street Captains as a favored group, giving them special treatment over their senior FOs that are going to upgrade. Talk with the union and see if they have heard of this and are looking in to it.

CRJ Street Captains

As a person upgrading into the CRJ200 on monday, I can guarantee that there will be no street Captains for the CRJ's, either of them.

With getting only 17 200's we need about 80 Captains, and we have over 60 in the pipe and two more classes. So unless we have more 200's coming from some undisclosed source, we are covered.

Secondly, There are at least 100 senior people waiting in the wings. Most are waiting for the holidays, some are waiting for the schedules to improve, but know that there ARE enough personnel for all CRJ's that are currently expected to come to Mesaba. Now if we get more 900's (and I would bet that we ARE), then we will see street CRJ captains (probably over a year away).

The fact that I am an FO upgrading into the CRJ is a matter of luck. With the holidays and the well documented CRJ training problems, I and other FO's going to the CRJ's just slipped through. There is a chance that some Sr. people holding out are going to get disappointed.

Another issue is the contract. If there was a need for street CRJ Captains, lets say they need 2 Captains for a class. The company would first have to release two seat locked pilots if they bid for the position so they could go into those aircraft. Right now there are no seat locked people who want the SAAB Capt openings.

As a matter of conversation, I have not heard anyone on the line complain about the coming street captains. What I am hearing and am in fact feeling is a wait and see attitude.

I know that people getting hired as street captains should probably be feeling a certain level of pride. But there are things about the job that need to be experienced to understand. We can talk about 7,8, or 9 legs a day. We could talk about 2 leg high speeds, for four days in a row, all month long. We could talk about weather, deicing, maintenance issues. But until you actually experience the exhaustion what I am writing about you have nothing to compare to. And you're going to have to commit all your mistakes under probation.

There may be some hard feelings from people who waited 8 years for an opportunity to upgrade, but I haven't heard any.

I hope everything goes well, expect a fairly vertical learning curve. And just take it slow.

Last edited:
As a person upgrading into the CRJ200 on monday, I can guarantee that there will be no street Captains for the CRJ's, either of them.

With getting only 17 200's we need about 80 Captains, and we have over 60 in the pipe and two more classes. So unless we have more 200's coming from some undisclosed source, we are covered.

Secondly, There are at least 100 senior people waiting in the wings. Most are waiting for the holidays, some are waiting for the schedules to improve, but know that there ARE enough personnel for all CRJ's that are currently expected to come to Mesaba. Now if we get more 900's (and I would bet that we ARE), then we will see street CRJ captains (probably over a year away).

The fact that I am an FO upgrading into the CRJ is a matter of luck. With the holidays and the well documented CRJ training problems, I and other FO's going to the CRJ's just slipped through. There is a chance that some Sr. people holding out are going to get disappointed.

Another issue is the contract. If there was a need for street CRJ Captains, lets say they need 2 Captains for a class. The company would first have to release two seat locked pilots if they bid for the position so they could go into those aircraft. Right now there are no seat locked people who want the SAAB Capt openings.

As a matter of conversation, I have not heard anyone on the line complain about the coming street captains. What I am hearing and am in fact feeling is a wait and see attitude.

I know that people getting hired as street captains should probably be feeling a certain level of pride. But there are things about the job that need to be experienced to understand. We can talk about 7,8, or 9 legs a day. We could talk about 2 leg high speeds, for four days in a row, all month long. We could talk about weather, deicing, maintenance issues. But until you actually experience the exhaustion what I am writing about you have nothing to compare to. And you're going to have to commit all your mistakes under probation.

There may be some hard feelings from people who waited 8 years for an opportunity to upgrade, but I haven't heard any.

I hope everything goes well, expect a fairly vertical learning curve. And just take it slow.

Very well said my friend. If you're in MSP stop by for a beer :beer:
I agree, as someone who has already done long duty days, MX issues and a bunch of other BS at another regional I can say that I'm still going to learn alot once on the line. Good advice is always welcomed and I agree "Take it slow, and take your time guys"

Hopefully all the great pilots at 9E are sitting in the proper seats. For you 9E guys that is Captain in the left seat, FO in the right. That is unless you are trained in the double engine failure seat switch maneuver.

I flew at PCL for six years and had the opportunity to observe and evaluate many of the pilots there and I can say that the vast majority of the pilots that I interacted with where good solid airmen (the gals too) This two particular individuals where an exception and they paid dearly for being careless.

In my 26 years flying, I have learned that aviation has a funny way to humble an individual, but I'm sure that with your superior airman abilities you don't have anything to worry about, right ace?

All the XJ floks that I met where always very polite and professional. Maybe some more solidarity between the red tail groups is in order

Newhires are not qualified as FOs or Capts. Another loophole.

A new hire pilot will be paid at the rate identified in paragraph A. above, appropriate to the category for which he is in training. Subsequent to new hire training, a pilot’s pay rate will be changed: 1) when he receives a longevity increase provided for in paragraph A. above; and 2) when he changes seat or equipment, effective as of the completion of IOE; or if IOE is not required, the first day following the completion of training; or if no training is required, the effective date of the new position.

Quoted from the contract so you may be right about street capains recieving captain pay. I think point 2 is the stickler since they technically won't be changing seats. As far as the new hire instructors on the CR9, both are listed as F/O's on the senority list.

Alright, forget point 2 for now as I don't think that applies in this situation. Category, from the contract quote above, refers to Aircraft and position. See below.

CATEGORY means a pilot’s status in a specific type of aircraft, e.g. SF-340 Captain.

Latest resources

Back