• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

First Helicopter Airline to be launched

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
During the Olympics in ATL, there was a helicopter service between Hatsfield and downtown (somewhere?) allday everyday during that time. It seemed really efficient. They did PAX and freight from Mercury's ramp allday long

I also remember seeing pictures of a Rotodyne type of helicopter doing PAX service somewhere, not sure if it was the states or overseas.

I dont think its a bad idea, I wish I had a helicopter rating now.

Helo airlines

I think there was an outfit known as St. Louis Helicopter during the '60s.

As Gulfstream mentioned, I recall a helo airline in New York during the '70s. I'm 51, which might be why I recall it! :D

I was not around in the '40s when helicopters first came out, but I have read where it was predicted that everyone would have his own personal helicopter, just like cars. For that matter, there was a big postwar airplane boom predicted, and we know where that went.

I bet a lot of it has to do with public acceptance. Flying low to the ground on the support of rotors would freak out a lot of people. Also, cost would be prohibititive. Helicopters aren't cheap to operate, too, especially insurance.

I agree with the others, though, I think it's a great idea. But, the service would have to be frequent and cheap to be accepted.

Latest resources

Back