• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Wings Level

Entrepreneur Sees Opportunity in Gridlock

By Michael P. Bruno
washingtonpost.com Staff Writer
Friday, October 18, 2002; 12:00 AM

At least one local businessman is looking to capitalize on gridlock. Steve Walker, a multimillionaire financier, has said he will launch his much-anticipated helicopter airline in spring.

In an interview, Walker, president of venture capital firm Steve Walker and Associates, declined to discuss details. But the Web site for his helicopter company, America Rising (www.capitolrising.com), gives more information.

Assuming "appropriate government approvals," a helicopter "fleet" will fly scheduled corporate shuttle service between downtown Washington and downtown New York, offering a dozen round trips per day in each direction from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m., according to the Web site. The helicopters would accommodate 12, 18 or 30 passengers.

"We're setting up the first helicopter airline. This is going to work, this is going to be a big thing," Walker said.

Walker has been trying for at least two years to create a network of so-called "helistops" between Baltimore and Richmond, including one in Tysons Corner where he has met resistance from local residents concerned with noise pollution.

Walker's helicopter service would be targeted at high-worth executives -- the "time is money" crowd.

far be it...there is another operator of scheduled S-76 service, i believe they operate in the NW...have to research it...i know there is one in asia, as well as a frax operator here in the states...

I think PANAM ran a helio service from NYC_JFK also...way back before most of us were born....in the 70s...
I could be wrong..
either way it sounds like a dumb A$$ idea and a quick way to waste millions...oh well...

Well when I was in Princeton, I saw helicopters fly to and from the general direction of NYC about every half an hour or so. I was tempted to pull out a scanner and see what was up.

I can barely remember flying on San Francisco Helicopters when I was about 4 years old. I think it was on an S-61.

Pan-Am flew from the top of a building on 34th street. Helijet runs from Vancouver to Seattle, Victoria...and I think Abbotsford and Whistler. They are the only helicopter airline operating in N. America (I think!!!).

Cheers!

GP

First? What about New York Air? They flew whatever the civilian version of the CH-46 Sea Knight is during the '70's.

My first helicopter ride was in the mid 60's on LA Airways, which operated Sikorsky S-61's around the LA basin. We often took it from Newport Beach (the Newporter hotel) to LAX instead of driving. It was scarier than hell for me as a young kid to walk across a ramp to board the thing with the huge blades whirling by overhead and the engines screaming, but the ride (and the memories) was worth it in the end.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/094288/L/

HAL

Capitol (Capital?) Helicopters in the DC area in the early 1980s. They flew between DCA-IAD and, I believe, BWI. There was also talk of service between those airports and RIC/PHL. It lost money very rapidly and didn't last a year.

Good luck to those who try this!

Latest resources

Back