• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

first flight/ride in icing!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you haven't been in icing before... you probably shouldn't be getting paid to flying passengers around. You simply don't have enough experience yet.

I'll buy that...but I stand by the idea that someone knowingly flying an un-certified plane into known icing conditions on a consistent basis should not be flying.

But yeah, you're probably right...you probably shouldn't be PIC of an airplane with people in back if you haven't experienced icing...

-mini

minitour said:
But yeah, you're probably right...you probably shouldn't be PIC of an airplane with people in back if you haven't experienced icing...

-mini

That should read "if you haven't experienced icing in an aircraft that is certified to fly in known icing conditions." You can be a great PIC with people in the back of your C172 without having experienced icing conditions before and no one can tell me otherwise. 90% of being a good PIC is having good judgement and that, for most GA aircraft, means the good judgement of not getting yourself and pax anywhere near icing conditions in a single engine Cessna.

I've experienced plenty of bad icing conditions when I flew freight. Big deal. I don't think it made me that much better of a pilot. Probably the best thing I learned from it was how best to avoid it.

But that's just my opinion and I have never been one to be proud of the stupid situations I got myself into over the years.

Standby 1 said:
That should read "if you haven't experienced icing in an aircraft that is certified to fly in known icing conditions."..

Exactly!

I was trying to cover all the bases, thanks for picking that one up for me.

-mini

Probably the best thing I learned from it was how best to avoid it.

That is everything!!!! If the guys in the ATR had only learned this!

Mark

minitour said:
Exactly!

I was trying to cover all the bases, thanks for picking that one up for me.

-mini

No need to cover any bases --- clearly you have a good deal of common sense and good judgement when it comes to ice and limitations of aircraft. I'm sure you'll get more than your fair share of icing conditions someday when you're hauling freight in some beat-up old Navajo or schlepping corporate customers around!

;)

Standby 1 said:
No need to cover any bases --- clearly you have a good deal of common sense and good judgement when it comes to ice and limitations of aircraft. I'm sure you'll get more than your fair share of icing conditions someday when you're hauling freight in some beat-up old Navajo or schlepping corporate customers around!

;)

Sounds like fun...where do I sign up?

-mini

I flew in some ice for my first time on the 26th. 8,000 in the clear got a block down the 7,000. I was in the clouds for maybe 3 mins and it starts to build up. AINT NO WAY IM MESSIN WITH THAT SHAT. I got out of there asap. When I got to 8,000 its was +3 in the clouds it was -3. When I got out of the clouds the whole wing was frost. Then the ATC guy gives me 6,000 and I went down like a Bonanza full of doctors.

heard a story about a Beachjet going into a Thunderstorm at 16000 feet, and forgetting to put the igniters on... was blown out the top at 33,000 feet and then came to find out... both engines had quit.

Message clear: Don't mess with Thunderstorms.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back