• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Fired!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
BigPappa you have GOT to be kidding right?

Curr Position: Ruler of the Universe, King of all, but you can call me captain!

Come on guy.

The guy who owns the airplane I fly takes a pee on the ramp all the time. I am so glad I don't have to deal with all the crap you airline pilots do.

Again for the second time that part of my profile is meant as a joke! Obviously way past you!

Sure, sure. That guy (your boss) also keeps you under his thumb and can squeeze you like a bug any day.

What amazes me most is how some corporate pilots seem to act like the regional flying is below them, yet those same pilots could never get hired by a 121 airline.

GET A GRIP!

BigPappa you have GOT to be kidding right?

Curr Position: Ruler of the Universe, King of all, but you can call me captain!

Come on guy.

The guy who owns the airplane I fly takes a pee on the ramp all the time. I am so glad I don't have to deal with all the crap you airline pilots do.

The owner takes a pee; well it's his plane but if you did, most bosses may fire you. What do you think Netsjet or other corporate would do to you if you peed on the ramp in front of a client?

Again for the second time that part of my profile is meant as a joke! Obviously way past you!

Sure, sure. That guy (your boss) also keeps you under his thumb and can squeeze you like a bug any day.

What amazes me most is how some corporate pilots seem to act like the regional flying is below them, yet those same pilots could never get hired by a 121 airline.

I worked for Air Wisconsin for 22 months before getting my current corporate position, as well as working for a year in a major airline training department before I started flying at ARW. I think I've got a pretty firm grasp on the differences between 91 and 121 flying.

I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that flying my 0.62M near-jet is vastly superior to my experiences at one of the better regional airlines, and I had a good experience there. Even upgrading within my domicile (where I lived) wouldn't have come close to matching the compensation and quality of life combination I currently have.

While I've no doubt that many are content with the regional airline lifestyle and would HATE the thought of loading bags, cleaning a cabin, or filling the ice bin...I can say my position has exceeded ALL expectations. Others' mileage may vary.

Your corporate job must have really sucked if you felt you were under your bosses' thumb all the time.

I worked for Air Wisconsin for 22 months before getting my current corporate position, as well as working for a year in a major airline training department before I started flying at ARW. I think I've got a pretty firm grasp on the differences between 91 and 121 flying.

I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that flying my 0.62M near-jet is vastly superior to my experiences at one of the better regional airlines, and I had a good experience there. Even upgrading within my domicile (where I lived) wouldn't have come close to matching the compensation and quality of life combination I currently have.

While I've no doubt that many are content with the regional airline lifestyle and would HATE the thought of loading bags, cleaning a cabin, or filling the ice bin...I can say my position has exceeded ALL expectations. Others' mileage may vary.

Your corporate job must have really sucked if you felt you were under your bosses' thumb all the time.

Well, everyone has different expectations and different perspectives, based on individual experiences. Congratulations on your new job and it's great that you like it! Every corporate job is different, depending on who you work for and the required "duty" time, which includes all the unknown waiting time and uncertainity. Like everything else, there are always exceptions, and quite possibly your job is one on those.

From my perspective, corporate jobs generally suck as compared to scheduled flying with known days off. Unless you fly for a Fortune 500 company that is fairly stable, your job is at risk and your schedule is usually not a schedule. There are many corporate jobs where you are a "slave" to the whims and demands of the owner. At most, there is never a guaranteed day off. In addition, being in a sub-serviant position, you get to see the ugly side of arrogant, egotistic people who get through life by stepping on other people--you are no exception. That was my experience in the 4-5 corporate jobs that I have had. No one likes to be the whipping post--and generally, that is one of the roles you assume.

Good luck in your job!

172Driver,
Yes, corporate is a step-down in most cases when compared to being a Captain at SkyWest.

HAHAHAH!!! oh man....oh... ouch... my sides hurt from laughing so bad.

Compare your paycheck to a corporate, and then a fractional gig, and see if you still think it is a step down. The regionals are the lowest of the low in this biz. maybe slightly above grand canyon tours, but bellow rubber dog sh!t

Well, everyone has different expectations and different perspectives, based on individual experiences. Congratulations on your new job and it's great that you like it! Every corporate job is different, depending on who you work for and the required "duty" time, which includes all the unknown waiting time and uncertainity. Like everything else, there are always exceptions, and quite possibly your job is one on those.

From my perspective, corporate jobs generally suck as compared to scheduled flying with known days off. Unless you fly for a Fortune 500 company that is fairly stable, your job is at risk and your schedule is usually not a schedule. There are many corporate jobs where you are a "slave" to the whims and demands of the owner. At most, there is never a guaranteed day off. In addition, being in a sub-serviant position, you get to see the ugly side of arrogant, egotistic people who get through life by stepping on other people--you are no exception. That was my experience in the 4-5 corporate jobs that I have had. No one likes to be the whipping post--and generally, that is one of the roles you assume.

Good luck in your job!

Thanks!

I guess maybe I am lucky...my owner compensates all his employees well, has LOTS of morale-boosting events, and is a private pilot who is 100% sold on the value (vs. the cost) of owning a jet to grow his business. He also pushes his employees very hard, but they are well rewarded and always recognized for their efforts. This includes the pilots.

As you say, there is plenty of downtime and waiting in the 91/135 world - its part of the job. Thankfully FBO lounges are often very well appointed and comfortable, with internet access to argue semantics on Flightinfo (like I am right now :p)

I don't fly for a F500 company, and I don't have "hard days off" per se...I have days the airplane is scheduled to fly (trips scheduled weeks in advance) and am not required to do ANYTHING on the days its not...sort of making them hard days off. We don't do "pop-up" trips but in the instance that we do there is no policy about doing it; if I'm not scheduled to fly I don't have to stay at home beside my phone waiting for it to ring.

The nature of the position means I generally spend a few hours each week in the office doing paperwork...a fair trade IMO. Its also nice that the airplane flies 90% for business only, meaning VERY few weekend days working.

I dictate to the owner what our maximum duty times will be (14 hours with min 10 hours rest), set the dress code (slacks and company polo), chose our hotels and restaurants, and the only person I answer to is the HMFIC....I guess in that way, its good to be king. :D

It seems to me that the folks at the regoinals who talk about how bad corporate flying is from their past experiences had really, REALLY crappy jobs where they weren't paid their worth and/or were rode hard and put away wet. There are plenty of jobs like that out there, but there's also a reason many people become career King Air, Citation, or Lear pilots and it doesn't have anything to do with the inability to succeed in a 121 interview.

It sucks that some Chief Pilots are such weak-dick leaders that they can't stand up to the owner for common-sense policies. Most folks with the coin to have a personal or business aircraft wouldn't dare get into a taxi or limo operated by a drunk driver...I can't fathom the cheap morons who would get in an airplane with fatigued or unqualified pilots.

I think we both can agree that in no instance is one segment of the industry (corporate) is automatically and always better than the other (regionals), and that "better" is 100% subjective to who is answering the question.

Some folks like the airline lifestyle, and that's fine! Besides, who is any "corporate" pilot to bag on somebody for liking their job and situation? Something about humility, stones and glass houses, etc...

GB in SkyWest should be fired and he should be taken off of training department like he was before. He cost anothr good pilot a job and even a career

Latest resources

Back