• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Fired - Need Advice

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Seems to me the lesson here is not, what really happened, but what is the impression your story will leave of you at the interview.

Judging from the reaction here, I'd probably come up with something more than "I did just one thing wrong and I was fired"

On a side note, it sounds like TSA has some training issues... Not sure what to say about that, but maybe you had a valuable lesson about not allowing the training department to drive the quality of your training... You gotta get in there and be proactive about your progress and stay WAY ahead of where you think you should be. Your standards need to be higher than the training department.

And, sometimes training departments do SUCK... But they'll never tell you this, and you might not figure it out until it is way too late... Sometimes they can't teach, sometimes they are personally frustrated, sometimes they just know how to Test, not Train... So just don't expect to be well "trained" at the regional level, and don't beat yourself up.

Your career isn't over.

You probably just need to throw $30,000+ more dollars at it by applying to gulfstream academy. They'll take anybody, and when NWA figures out its stuff, you will flow right into a jet job at pinnacle!

If dad isn't feeling up to shelling out the cash though, flying freight is a great job. I highly recommend it.

Hey CoolYokeDude

If you think IOE Capt's are looking to wash guys out then you don't have much expereince or understanding of any 121 companies goals......making guys/gals leave cost money! There is more to this guys story......no pilot has ever been fired for a bad visual pattern. IOE is just that...initial operating experience....with HELP and INSTRUCTION!! I don't know any IOE Capt's that won't go the extra mile trying to help a guy or gal that is truly trying to "cooperate and graduate"....maybe some of the IOE Capt's on here would like to chime in!!! I have over 4500 flying hrs as an instructor/Evaluator in jets.....I think I know what cooperate and graduate means in terms or ability and attitude.......Clearly this was not a major and if you can't make the grade in the regionals in IOE then you are not going to make it in the majors....and don't think the majors are going to waste time on someone who has problems in training....IOE problems are RED FLAGS.....if you don't understand this then your youth and inexperience are truly showing...... Yes, I spent 20+ years flying in the Air Force where standards are very,very high.... and then I spend time in a regional waiting in the pool for a major so I know the difference.
Bottom line is if you can't cut training (and let's face it, IOE is training) in a small jet or prop...then the record you have established will not be a plus when any airline. My comment about toast was not a cheap shot....it was a realistic comment......and if not you tell me how many guys you know that work for a major that busted IOE at a regional.

SkyWestCRJPilot said:
Get the Part 135 PIC minimums and start flying freight. It's a great way to get lots of experience and build some good years behind you to show to a future airline.

This man said it right. Go do something else for a while you will learn a great deal and build experience. Don't let this get you down.

Good Luck

airlinepilot said:
...and if not you tell me how many guys you know that work for a major that busted IOE at a regional.

Actually, I know 2 who are personal friends. (You asked....)

Go for the Airnet thing. It's a good way to get very comfortable flying. You can then move to the Lear and laugh at the moron military guys posting on this thread. You will soon see why. Most of these military guys are too structured. You will be able to fly, work a problem and change your destination to an unfamiliar airport cause dispatch has a box for you to pick up. I know the military guys are going to bash me for saying this, but you will see it some day. I have many many times. Everyone learns to handle it. It's just fun to watch some cocky know-it-all military pilot fall apart. Everyone eventually catches up though. Airnet will be good for you. Be ready, they flush people that don't keep up.

TIP: Once you are online, slow down. The rush thing is only in CMH. Check everything twice before you take off. To many people were canned for dumb stuff like fuel caps and doors not being closed or for spelling as bad as mine.

needapayraise said:
Dude, if you can't do visuals in a stinking RJ how do you expect to do visuals in a prop that is going faster than an RJ while on final? That's all they do at Hairnet is visuals. If it's 1000-3, I was doing a visual, or a contact if able.
I don't know what kind of prop they're flying at Airnet that is going faster than an RJ on final. I don't know about the ERJ but the CRJ is usually doing around 145 knots on final

Last edited:
Is it just me or did I miss something. I have seen this type of post before and lots of guys chime in and tell the person to keep going and don't give up, which is all good. The one thing i don't see is anyone chime in who has been in this person's shoes and actually made it back to a 121 outfit. It is always a friend or I have heard of. I would really like to hear from someone who has beeen though what this person has gone though and post on this board. I am thinking you are just all trying to make the person feel better which is fine. I have never worked 121 but I have been told by people who do that once you flunk out you are done which is sad.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back