Fired - Need Advice

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Diesel said:
As an IOE instructor for a long time in jets. The visual was the last thing wrong in a serious of events. There has to be more to the story. Remember the IOE instructor might have to explain to his boss why he failed you. Saying he failed you just because of a visual approach doesn't jive.

Sounds like there was more to it.

Diesel,

Right you are. When I gave IOE, there was a MOUND of paperwork, filled out longhand, in triplicate, for any "unsat" training/checking event, including IOE (not that IOE is a checking event, but some places treat it that way). In addition to the paperwork, a chat with the director of training was also required. It was a PITA for everyone invovled.

To put everyone through this ringer, there better be a really good reason.

Nu

airlinepilot said:
TOAST no company will invest thousands of bucks into a new pilot and then let them go for a simple go-around................IOE is nothing more than cooperate and graduate

I was certain reading this arrogant and ignorant post that this was a military guy (the "cooperate and graduate") who certainly has no clue of Trans States. Disclaimer: Most of the military folks I've flown with are top notch stand up people. Unfortunately there's always the rotten apples. My roomate sim partner at my airline was a former trans states pilot and told me about the large percentage of washouts that place produces. It's a reflection of the training department.

PilotBTS1972 said:
I appreciate everyone's comments and assume that the interview boards I have met with since the bust had similar reactions. Going from a Seminole to a EMB-145 is challenging no matter how good a pilot you are, but what I said in my first post is the truth. Visuals were the primary reason for the extra time in IOE, but again, the extra time was not extraordinary. I agree that more time will help, but I'm not sure that doing stalls in a 172 and accumulating 500 more hours is going to make me any more qualified for a regional than I am now.

Where did you get your training, DCA? As to advice, I have had a number of friends in that situation and it took some time to put it behind them. Some went back to instructing for a while, others flew freight or corporate and after a while got calls again when there was a lot of demand.

You have to show that you overcame whatever it was, demonstrated by a current flying job and some time. You don't have much time and experience yet and gaining more will help. Flying an RJ with complete situational awareness at your experience level is difficult if not impossible.

Don't kid yourself, many FO's with your experience level leave the captain almost flying solo much of the time. This is the case at many regionals, even to a greater extent with pilots having even less time than you have.

Think about it, if you were a neutral interviewer and had a choice between hiring someone that had not been in your situation and you, why would you take the chance with so much money and your reputation riding on it.

Regardless, if you are determined to get into this currently unfortunate industry, don't give up. It is something to overcome, not the kiss of death. As they say, time heals all wounds and in this case more experience and a successful current flying job will eventually overcome this setback.

Good Luck!

The pattern lately at TSA fits right with your situation. Not only people busting initial, but upgrades busting for small situations as well. I have never busted a checkride and I have never been so nervouse during training as I have been at TSA.

In the last month several different newhire classes were scheduled and cancelled, as well as a couple of J41 upgrade classes that were cancelled within a week of the announcement.

It all sounds on par with the TSA way...As someone has said earlier..."have you ever busted a checkride, except at Trans States?"

At least you were able to get a job instructing again, that should tell you that it is possible to get hired again. Move on and be glad you are not sunk into such a wierd little company

When I did my IOE I had a sh1t senior pilot who wasnt there to teach just to make extra money. After being high a few times I started using the loc/glideslope on my visual approaches. DING DING DING problem solved. Not sure why, when you are new, myself included, a visual means looking outside only, pointing the nose at the runway and given it your best college try. Hopefully your IOE guy taught you to throw the ILS freq in there for all your visual approches. If no glideslope, using the fms, vasi, approach recommended altitudes etc... Just some advice that I was never given during IOE, that will make your job easier and safer the next time around.
Best of Luck

Last edited:
mullet said:
When I did my IOE I had a sh1t senior pilot who wasnt there to teach just to make extra money. After being high a few times I started using the loc/glideslope on my visual approaches. DING DING DING problem solved. Not sure why, when you are new, myself included, a visual means looking outside only, pointing the nose at the runway and given it your best college try. Hopefully your IOE guy taught you to throw the ILS freq in there for all your visual approches. If no glideslope, using the fms, vasi, approach recommended altitudes etc... Just some advice that I was never given during IOE, that will make your job easier and safer the next time around.
Best of Luck

Mullet,
Didn't I do you IOE :) ?
PSACPSP

No you didnt, it probably felt just like you were giving me IOE.
ps --I threw the receipt from my crew and I wonderful thanksgiving feed at The Country Buffet in STL, under your door. Rumor has it that our turkey dinner were on you guys this year. Thats what your sidekick out of TYS told me.
see ya

mullet said:
When I did my IOE I had a sh1t senior pilot who wasnt there to teach just to make extra money.

I think every outfit has at least one of these tools. As you said, they're there only there to make extra $$$ and mark the days, and not to pass on anything or perform any other kind of worthwhile service. Often they've been on the airplane for decades.

I wish these burnouts would either quit "teaching" or move on. They do a disservice to their programs and cause their students unnecessary hassle.

If your airline and/or pilot group (IE ALPA training commitee) provides for any kind of feedback, be sure to use it.

Nu

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back