• Friendliest aviation community on the web

Are you a member?

• I be a member.

Votes: 231 78.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 64 21.7%

• Total voters
AOPA

The monthly magazine is a bit lame for professional pilots, but you cannot beat the member benefits, such as confidential medical and legal counseling.

AOPA gears the mag toward it's membership. They're mostly GA oriented. They do an excellent job balancing the stories and topics, IMO.

No - it won't satisfy the professional "bus drivers" who got into flying because it pays good or managed to get a pilot slot in the mil because some school counsellor recommended it. But aviators, pro or not, should enjoy it. Just too many inserts!

AOPA is a bargain at twice the price. EVERYONE who flies - particularly GA - really should join. If I had a school/FBO, I believe I'd require membership before bring a renter or student on board.

They offer all kinds of good information and service resources as well. Total service for researching aircraft history, leins, financing, etc. supporting GA purchases/sales. Good people!

very good organization, IMO.

Re: AOPA

bobbysamd said:
The monthly magazine is a bit lame for professional pilots, but you cannot beat the member benefits, such as confidential medical and legal counseling.
I haven't gotten the magazine yet; I guess I'll see if I like it.

Personally the favorite of the two AOPA rags is their Flight Training Mag.

Now EAA's Sport Aviation is the one that I eagerly wait for every month.

I know most people have good luck with AOPA, as long as you don't try to cash in on services. I needed advice for writting a letter to the FAA about a former student that had gear up landing. They refused, even though I was and had always been paid in full. They claimed they didn't help with legal documents, only advice. I dropped them shortly after that. I rank them right up there with air-inc.

$37 if you automatically renew on a credit card. I love it and gave a flight training subscription to all of my students.

I dropped them too...

I got rid of them a couple of months ago. Don't really have a need for all the GA services now that I fly for a regional. All that legal stuff they offer is already provided for by my union through the dues I pay every month. Plus their main priority is GA not the airlines. My main argument was that I'm not going to support AOPA if they're willing to blow 40+ million on saving Megis when there are more important things out there that matter to me, like that crappy rule the TSA has that can take away my ticket. I will probably never use Megis so the matter if that field stays or goes isn't on the top of my list of priorities.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back