• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Final 717 begins production

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I wouldn't say that Boeing was always better. Look how many DC-3s were built versus Boeing 247s. Same is true for DC-4s, DC-6s, and DC-7s versus Boeing 307s and Boeing 377s. There are many more DC-8s flying today as compared to 707s.

The end of the production of civil airliners in Long Beach will indeed be a sad day for aviation. Southern California was the home to many good aircraft makers for decades. The Douglas and McDonnell Douglas products still flying today will be our reminder of this great heritage.

It's too bad Boeing couldn't see their way keep some civil production in Southern California. A second 737 line was talked about but never transpired. The bean counters have salivated over the potential "one time gain" on the sale of that real estate ever since Boeing bought McDonnell Douglas. Never mind the potential of the facilities and experience of the workers there. :mad:

Typhoonpilot

I'm surprised they kept a line open that only produced 150 or so planes to begin with.

I gotta believe that the land in Long Beach is going to vield more profit than those 150 planes ever did.

They didn't mention who it was going to. Any Ideas if it'll have Airtran on the tail?

ultrarunner said:
I'm surprised they kept a line open that only produced 150 or so planes to begin with.

I gotta believe that the land in Long Beach is going to vield more profit than
those 150 planes ever did.

They also build the C-17 on the same land

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back