Filing IFR for local approach work

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bobby,

My first exposure to this idea that an IFR clearence doesn't imply a flight plan NECESSARILY came from this disscussion on pop up IFR on DOC's FAR forum. I hope that you will browse through and let me know what you think of the disscussion.

I have come to understand that it is perfectly acceptable to get a flight plan filed through ATC, BUT this is NOT to say that getting a clearence with ATC is synonomous with filing a flight plan. It is the pilot's responsibility to ensure that this has been done on any pop up IFR flight.

Please check out the thread.

Pop Up IFR

Pop-ups, continued

I reviewed the thread and copied this from Doc's site:

Under FAR 91.169(a), ATC can authorize you to provide less than the "normal" information required on a flight plan. But in that case, you are still filing your flight plan with ATC. If ATC does not wish to, they are not required to accept the flight plan, and can insist that you file with FSS. . . . .

Personal comments: To avoid confusion as to whether the controller is issuing a clearance, or accepting a filed flight plan, or both, I recommend that you specifically ask the controller if you can file with him.

(emphasis added)

That's where I'm coming from. What I've experienced is that the control facility will ask for all the usual flight plan information; ergo, you've filed a flight plan. Of course, FSS will ask for all information. Also, of course, FSS is a branch of ATC.

My experience has been that a non-FSS control facility will extend to you courteous cooperation. Even in the L.A. Basin. I remember an IFR flight to the Basin with my Riddle students early in my experience. We did not file multiple flight plans. We were in IMC and asked for approaches to several airports. ATC approved them and rattled off the clearances like a machine gun. I had no clue at first. It was a great learning experience for all.

As to the original question: There are significant differences between regions. In central Florida they have a code system that you are supposed to use to do multiple practice approaches. It short of works as long as you stay within Orlando approach, the moment you go to Tampa or Daytona approach you are persona non grata. In places with less traffic you can get almost anything. Despite all the traffic in Socal, Tower Enroute from the central coast to the Mexican border makes it relatively easy to get instrument approaches.

As far as whether a flight plan is a clearance.... If the controller says, "You are cleared to......" you have a clearance.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back