Fedex vs UPS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Words of Wisdom from the founder of UPS

The origins of UPS's corporate culture come from the practical and philosophical insights of its founder Jim Casey. He had an unusual ability to convey the core values of the company.

Inspired Management
"A company must create a succession of leaders and managers who are inspired by dedication to principle, to people and to service."

Respect for the individual
"I envisage our organization as a means through which each member should be able to achieve a good measure of personal satisfaction and at the same time aid in the advancement of the interests of all the rest of us."

Business ethics
"Once the people you deal with come to recognize that what you do springs from an honest heart, they will be surprisingly strong in their support of you. They will believe what you say. They will give you their loyalty. They will trust and follow you. Yes, right-thinking people have made our business what it is today."

The virtue of taking action
"We are practical people, not merely dreamers. We know that our dreams and plans won't get very far unless we have the right people to make them realities."

Self-reliant management
"A person's worth to an organization can be measured by the amount of supervision that is required. If a person is not a self-driver, if he does require constant supervision, he should not be in a high place in our organization."

Good management
"Good management is not just organization. It is an attitude inspired by the will to do right. Good management is your own worthiness to have and hold the confidence of others. Your associates really want to trust, respect, admire and believe in you. It's your own fault if they don't."

Self-education
"Take an inventory of yourself and see where you stand. Ask yourself a few questions: Is your mental attitude right? Is your education sufficient? Do you really know your job and do you do your job? Do you allow yourself to get licked when the going is difficult? Do you finish what you start? Do you really have a plan for success? Are you able to lead other people? Do you train, encourage and inspire people who work with you to do a better job and thus help you also do a better one?"

Customer focus
"Our real, primary objective is to serve - to render perfect service to our stores and their customers. If we keep that objective constantly in mind, our reward in money can be beyond our fondest dreams. In the early days of UPS, we didn't look at delayed deliveries and other complaints as a mass of statistics to be filed away and forgotten. We looked at them almost with terror. We regarded every complaint, or cause for complaint, as a flaw in our service, and we trained all our people to prevent them."

Corporate image
"Customers judge us by the visual and mental impression they get. If those impressions are to be favorable, we must have the appearance of doing a good job. Not only does this apply to the physical appearance of plants, cars and people, but it also applies to the impressions created by the work we do and how we do it. When a driver does not have the complete uniform or wears an odd sweater or overcoat - what kind of impression does that person create when making pick-ups or deliveries? And whose fault is that? The driver's? No. It's the fault of someone higher up for failing to insist that proper appearance is a requirement of the day's work."

UPS Flight Operations Vision
Be the world's safest, most competitive, cost-efficient and on-time airline - where our people enjoy coming to work.

I'm sure FedEx's founding statements and mission are as eloquently written and inspiring. Let's face it, they are both GREAT companies with great pilot groups. I can't wait to run into some of my FedEx buds over a couple beers in ANC.

Whoever hires me is definitely the best!!

Gumbydammit, check out www.fortune.com. I know FedEx is great, but our goal will always be to crush them, and we will have fun doing it! Competition is healthy for business and keeps everybody on their toes. Hopefully this magazine article is a little more current than the last one.....

Tuesday February 19, 5:16 pm Eastern Time
Press Release
SOURCE: UPS
UPS Once Again `America's Most Admired'
ATLANTA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 19, 2002--For the 19th consecutive year, UPS (NYSE:UPS - news) has been rated ``America's Most Admired'' company in its industry in a Fortune magazine survey.

UPS also posted the highest average score of any airline or transportation company ranked by the magazine; was ranked in the top 10 nationwide across all industries on four of the eight attributes used to compile the rankings, and was ranked No. 1 in all eight attributes within its industry category.

UPS scored in the top 10 for the quality of its products and services; its financial soundness; its commitment to social responsibility, and for its long-term investment value. Within its industry category, UPS ranked No. 1 in each of those four attributes as well as in rankings for its ability to innovate; quality of management; employee talent, and use of corporate assets.

UPS also received an overall score of 8.16, one of only eight companies in any industry segment to score above 8.0.

UPS, which has built one of the world's best known brands, operates in more than 200 countries and territories around the world and has been widely recognized in recent years for its expanding role in enabling global commerce.

The complete rankings for each industry segment appear in the March 4th issue of Fortune. UPS joins companies like General Electric, IBM, Citigroup, Microsoft, Intel and The Home Depot at the top of their industries.

To compile its list of America's most admired companies, Fortune worked with the Hay Group consultancy to poll 10,000 senior executives, directors and analysts. The result is a group of companies ``that seem to perform at their best when the heat is on,'' the magazine said.

Browntothebone,
Nice article, but I think you left out all of the parts about FedEx.

America's most admired companies: The shiniest
reputations in tarnished times

Most Admired companies? Please. Scanning the headlines these days makes you wonder if there are any companies worthy of our esteem. Enron, Arthur Andersen, Kmart, Global Crossing, Warnaco, Tyco--need we continue?

And yet in a year when corporate America is not exactly attracting waves of affection, you've
told us that there are still companies that win your respect. A FORTUNE poll of 10,000
executives, analysts, and directors conducted late last fall--well after Enron's shenanigans
first came to light--found that the same names kept emerging. Seven of the ten Most Admired
companies in the nation in 2002--General Electric, Southwest Airlines, Wal-Mart, Microsoft,
Berkshire Hathaway, Home Depot, and Intel--are old reliables from the past two years. One,
Johnson & Johnson, regained its top ten berth after a three-year absence. Just two, FedEx
and Citigroup, are making their first showing in the 20-year history of the list.

Being most admired is all about delivering what you promise to multiple audiences, and that's
something No. 8 FedEx has down pat. Just as Johnson & Johnson found it had to move
beyond its roots, FedEx has successfully transcended its image as simply an air express
carrier for business to become a one-stop shop for any shipping need. Acquisitions like RPS in
1998 and American Freightways last year have rounded out FedEx's offerings to include
ground and freight, respectively, a prescient move given the corporate cost cutting that
followed. "Having the ground network in place has been particularly important as the economy
has slowed," says Jim Winchester, transportation analyst at Lazard Freres. "It allowed us to
walk and chew gum at the same time," quips founder and CEO Fred Smith. Customers agree:
George Kurth, director of supply chain and logistics at Hyundai Motor America, consolidated his $450,000 monthly shipping business from a hodgepodge of companies into FedEx a few
months back. "We wanted the best," he says.
Those developments, plus a landmark seven-year, $7 billion deal to transport priority, express,
and first-class mail for the U.S. Postal Service, helped FedEx increase its operating margin
from 4.2% in the first half of 2001 to 6.6% in the second half. FedEx's stock was up almost
30% for the year, and it's up 61% from its post-Sept. 11 low, while UPS's stock is up just 19%. Partly because of that impressive stock run-up, FedEx won the hearts and minds of the broad business audience this year, while still trailing Big Brown in its industry rankings.

I have only posted when FedEx was mentioned. Go to Forbes for the whole article. Yes it says we still trail Big Brown according to the article in industry rankings, and yes we are a younger company. I am sure both FedEx and UPS will be the two major players around in the next 25 years, and I would not be surprised to see UPS market share drop.

Brown isn't very shiny, but #1 is still a good number except for recent gains in stock price.....but hopefully I have a few years left.

From www.fortune.com, and O.K. I didn't leave out FedEx this time.....

FDX
Company's Industry: Score / Industry Rank

Mail, Package, Freight Delivery 6.64 / 2

Eight Key Attributes of Reputation: Score / Industry Rank

Innovativeness 7.13 / 2
Employee talent 6.54 / 2
Use of corporate assets 6.52 / 2
Social responsibility 5.71 / 2
Quality of management 6.88 / 2
Financial soundness 6.38 / 2
Long-term investment value 6.5 / 2
Quality of products/services 7.5 / 2

UPS

Company's Industry: Score / Industry Rank

Mail, Package, Freight Delivery 8.16 / 1

Eight Key Attributes of Reputation: Score / Industry Rank
Innovativeness 7.95 / 1
Employee talent 7.91 / 1
Use of corporate assets 7.77 / 1
Social responsibility 7.73 / 1
Quality of management 8.41 / 1
Financial soundness 8.64 / 1
Long-term investment value 8.27 / 1
Quality of products/services 8.59 / 1

I have to say, after reading the posts from the original question, - browntothebone- you have nice back up for your comments. But, with regards for the question of the post, you score a 3 out of 10 for useful information. You seem very competitive towards your fellow pilots. I would like to hear why YOU love UPS, not the numbers. I can make (amway) sound good. (No, I do not fly for amway). I would be honored to fly for either company. But with regards to the question of the post and the replies I would choose FEDEX.

I just want to hi five my bud's at airports accross the country, no matter who they work for.

People make the difference.

Let me in.

Latest resources

Back