FedEx Training Letter Out!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FlyPig said:
A question for clarification...getting passover pay as the junior guy activates does not apply if the guy being leap-frogged is still on probation pay right? I think he'll keep making $49.86/hr until off probation. Can anybody confirm or refute this for me?

Yes and no.....

The senior individual WILL technically get passover pay; but the passover pay happens to be the same amount for all aircraft the first year.

You don't make $49.86 until off probation. That is first year pay--not related to whether you are on probation. You can be collecting second year pay and passover pay, and still be on probation. (ie someone who took mil leave and had his probation extended).

capt_zman said:
We'll see what happens, but the corp world might be calling. This whole thing sucks.

I think you will be getting passover pay when a junior guy activates--so you'll still be paid like you were in the rt seat. At least that's my understanding.

MalteseX said:
Yes and no.....

The senior individual WILL technically get passover pay; but the passover pay happens to be the same amount for all aircraft the first year.

You don't make $49.86 until off probation. That is first year pay--not related to whether you are on probation. You can be collecting second year pay and passover pay, and still be on probation. (ie someone who took mil leave and had his probation extended).

Not entirely correct as first year right seat widebody pay is $51.69. So we could see the purple nugget newhires, as well as the passover eligibles, get this $2.17 plus up during year one.

Just remember that passover pay is only effective for the current bid award. if you were awarded anc on the moab, no problem, but if you were pushed back in training from the previous bid, no luck (i think).

angry tanker said:
Just remember that passover pay is only effective for the current bid award. if you were awarded anc on the moab, no problem, but if you were pushed back in training from the previous bid, no luck (i think).

If you were pushed back in training and a junior crewmember goes to training in front of you, you'll get passover pay.

If a new hire (junior guy)and the guy on property (senior guy) hold an award for the same crew position (MD-11 ANC), and the junior pilots award is from the same posting, OR subsequent posting then the senior guy gets passover pay. In this case, MD-11 guys from the MOAB and from the previous bid.

Provided, the junior pilot's training delays the training of the senior guys AND the senior guys subsequently activate in that position (ie don't leave for another aircraft).

This scenario applies to about 30-40 pilots. Pilot A is senior to B.

Bid 1:
Pilot A awarded MEM MD-11 FO
Pilot B awarded ANC MD-11 FO

Pilot B begins training for ANC while Pilot A waits for a later training date.

Bid 2 (MOAB):
Pilot B awarded MEM MD-11 FO

Pilot A’s training pushed back. (Over 1 year now from Bid 1 award)

Pilot B, now a qualified MD-11 FO is activated to MEM prior to pilot A’s training completion.

IE Guy bids ANC first, then MEM, qualifies in the seat and beats you there (MEM) when you were awarded MEM from the previous bid.

Is pilot A entitled to Passover pay? From the contract it doesn’t appear so. This scenario is not a morale booster. Sorry for the semantics.

Concierj said:
This scenario applies to about 30-40 pilots. Pilot A is senior to B.

Bid 1:
Pilot A awarded MEM MD-11 FO
Pilot B awarded ANC MD-11 FO

Pilot B begins training for ANC while Pilot A waits for a later training date.

Bid 2 (MOAB):
Pilot B awarded MEM MD-11 FO

Pilot A’s training pushed back. (Over 1 year now from Bid 1 award)

Pilot B, now a qualified MD-11 FO is activated to MEM prior to pilot A’s training completion.

IE Guy bids ANC first, then MEM, qualifies in the seat and beats you there (MEM) when you were awarded MEM from the previous bid.

Is pilot A entitled to Passover pay? From the contract it doesn’t appear so. This scenario is not a morale booster. Sorry for the semantics.
I don't think so, even though it is a subsequent posting (bid). Pilot A's training isn't delayed by B's activation into the new domicile, its being pushed back by pilots senior to him that have come in on the new posting (MOAB). That is what is actually delaying the training, not the fact that B has already trained and activated.

I'm just looking at it from a contractual standpoint, and I certainly could be wrong, but it doesn't look like A will get passover for that. Kind of makes Pilot B look like a genius though.

Not a loophole that I would bank on, but it might have worked out for some of the Bs. The A pilots will get their revenge when they activate and push the B guys back onto reserve.

I hope that these guys let us know what happens and whether or not they get the passover pay.

FJ

I agree, no passover. It appears that the company is metering already qualified MD11 pilots (Senior to A, exception of B) from ANC to MEM (Lateral) over the summer months from the MOAB. With this above (Pilot A and B scenario) loophole in the contract, the company could hypothetically, train new hires to ANC and once qualified, post a new bid, award those ANC new hire's MEM and delay A's training indefinitely. (Locking A in his/her current seat unless he/she bids a different position.) Not a can of worms the company should open up though. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
I am also effected by the bid. I was supposed to train MD-11/FO (Memphis) in Jun, but after the MOAB, was moved back to October. I am curious about passover pay as well.

It seems that new hire pilots are being trained in place of those of us that haven't yet trained on bid 05-03. While we are in fact going to different domiciles, it doesn't seem to be the intent of the contract to push back our training and train new hire pilots without paying passover pay. If more senior pilots were allowed to train ahead of us, I think that is just tough luck. But this isn't the case. I don't know if we will be offered passover pay or not (my guess is NOT). I

Anyway, I am going to write the union an email, and hopefully someone is there to answer (they are probably on strike now). I think if we can't get the answer we are looking for, we could file a grievance. I don't care when I train, but I am looking to be paid for the training delay. How many are effected by this anyway?

If you go to the training letter, you can see the first 0503 11FM is now starting late Sep. I think there are around 22 of us from 0503 in the same boat not including the 11FA guys that will get passover.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back