• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

320AV8R

DUMP ALPA
Winter storm moves through Twin Cities, plane slides off runway

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- The second snowstorm in a week hit central and southern Minnesota Thursday morning, delaying traffic and contributing to a FedEx cargo plane sliding off a runway at the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport.

No one was hurt in the mishap, which happened as the plane was landing about 8:20 a.m., said airport spokesman Patrick Hogan. The airport closed one of its runways for about three hours as crews tried to free the plane.
The airport's two other runways were closed briefly Thursday morning for plowing, he said. While the snow did not cause many delays, the runway closure did.

Eagan-based Northwest Airlines Corp. announced it would issue "weather waivers" to its customers, allowing them to reschedule flights without the usual penalties if the snowstorm caused them travel problems.
The National Weather Service predicted 6 to 9 inches of snow in southwestern Minnesota, northern Iowa and western Wisconsin by day's end. By late morning Thursday, Mounds View has received 8 inches, Maplewood 71/2 inches and several metro suburbs reported 6 inches.

The storm moved southeast as the day went on, into some of the same towns on the that got hit with a foot or more of snow on Monday. Winona and Rochester closed schools Thursday morning in anticipation of what was to come.

Last edited:
This was posted yesterday. I'm guessing the moderators removed it because it started a battle royale between swa f/o and cpt mark.

I just saw that it was posted in the cargo section..... I should have looked there first.

My bad.

737 Pylt said:
This was posted yesterday. I'm guessing the moderators removed it because it started a battle royale between swa f/o and cpt mark.
What was there to argue about? The city police didn't have to barracade any streets.

737 Pylt said:

you got it wrong...i said i would not get involved with accident discussions..which i have not..i did say he flies tiny jets..but i always told him that..he started the thread with some typical smartass swa/fo comments and all the fedex boys came a calling!

I talked with a guy who was up there yesterday and spoke to some of the ops personnel. Media overblown story.

The guy taxied off the prepared surface and got stuck. (Not that it's any better for him - at least no one was hurt) It didn't sound like it was a landing accident.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=1018453

From the looks of the pic it looks like he landed on rwy04 and tried a rt turn at C9 or C10 but went onto the grass or unprepared surface instead.

I say this as it looks from the pic that the a300 is facing south twards the MN guard c-130 (I'm guessing thats a guard 130 as it looks as though it has the "state" stripe across the tail) whos ramp is on the south side of the departure end of Rwy04 (the reserves being on the north side).

Either that or he landed 30R and made a rt turn at what he thought was G or C but hit grass instead.

Anyway, I'm bored in the crashpad, good nobody or anything was hurt. Hope the Capt puts on a good "irish jig" in the CP's office.

Last edited:
Yep, All the Fed Ex guys chimed in and said "wind check".. That taxiing off the taxiway was a different one.

Latest resources

Back