• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FedEx rumorville

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Unless FDX is going to get rid of some 727's by next Christmas peak or expect to have no one leave the back seat (upgrade,retire, etc.) then they will have to have new blood on property by then. Being called and almost begged to take draft trips as a 727 S/O I will almost assume it will happen. I do not know when but would expect it to happen before Sept. other wise they will not have you ready for peak. But I am sure the bean counters have a diagram and a 100 page document on the exact time to tell Flt Mgmt. It is amazing how hiring can be so top secret. By the way poolies I turned down the draft calls just for you , no just kidding I prefer my time off.

All these rumors very entertaining. Others heard in the past, 10 747-400s will be on the property in 6 months. Heard in 1992, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97. The MD10 program will never happen. The MD10 program will stop at six aircraft. Subic will be staffed by foreign pilots. FedEX has studied the possibility of using Tankers for Air to Air refueling of the MD11.

Only one of the above turned out to be true, guess.

:D

Another Cynical Captain

FoxHunter, I wish I could be as enlightened as you are. Captains like you are such a joy to fly with. Let me guess, you don't buy beers on draft trips. See Ya!

I just about puked on myself thinking about getting to start training this year. I may need some meds to keep my heart from stopping!!!!

Its only a matter of time.

No more yanky my wanky!
The Donger need food!

Donger

Donger

Mind sharing why you want to give up US Customs (GS-13 + 25% = $100K +/-)?

likely you have most fed. holidays off and pretty much know your schedule a few months out. In addition, unless you are pulling Christmas duty officer, you likely have enjoyed many X-mas off.

anyway, just asking

thanks man

satpak77,

GS-14 + the 25% LEAPay for about 110K+/yr. Carry a gun, get all kinds of cool toys, interesting detachments, etc, etc.

I guess the answer to that is, I'm single, the money is not why I do what I do (I know, you want to raise the BS flag, but honest, money is nice, but I'll trade it for what FedEx can offer). I would prefer to be able to choose where I would like to live, have the option to upgrade, fly some heavy iron, fly more often.

At Customs, I am stuck with living in Corpus Christi or Jacksonville, FL. I'm stuck flying P-3s, and as far as major holidays off, that is true, but this year, and for a few to come, the holiday season saw the Department of Home Land Security raise the threat level. This resulted in a Customs wide policy to CANCEL all vacation and limit travel for those with days off. I had planned to go to Denver (tickets in hand) and was shut down less that 48 hours before I was to leave. That is the job and I do not complain about that, but I don't care if I have to work every Xmas for the rest of my life. I want to be able to plan my life further than a few days out. And yes that is usually what the schedule does...changes every few days at customs. Sometimes minor, sometimes major, but nothing is ever for sure.

It would take an immense amount of convincing to persuade me to stay with Customs over FedEx. FedEx is one of the few majors worth taking the huge pay cut for...at least initially.

I feel very fortunate to have the job with Customs, and if I were to stay another year or two, I would probably not leave. I fly with some great guys doing a great mission, but I know once I leave I will be called, asking for help to get an interview with FedEx once I'm on property.

Sorry for the long winded response, but it is something I do not take lightly. I have thought long and hard about this choice and I am satisfied and confident I am making the best decision for me.

No more yanky my wanky!
The Donger need food!

thanks Donger

Hey thanks for the reply. I can understand you points completely.

For you and anyone else who may know, anyone have "rough idea" figures for Year 1, Year 3, Year 5 and then junior Capt annual earnings?

I know this is mathematically computed based on various formulas, but again, just ballpark

Yr 1 50K as a 727 S/O
Yr 3 75K as a 727 S/O through 115K as Widebody F/O on Reserve
Yr 5 110K as a narrow F/O through 130K as Junior Widebody F/O

Of course all rough numbers based on your previously mentioned formulas and seniority etc.

Captain Pay

5 year Captain in the 727 would make approx 165K and max out at approx 180K after 15 years of service with the current contract.

Widebody Capt in year 10 would make approx 196K per year up to 206K per year at year 15.

Thats pay only, not per diem or money funds.

FJ

Last edited:
Rumors are almost always wrong...However, there always seems to be a grain of truth as well.... That said, I heard (while doing a sim check) 19 737-300's by July 2005, with -800's or -900's to follow.. Time will tell whether or not I desereve a severe bashing for spreading a silly rumor.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back