Fedex Rumor Update

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How is the Paris FLying covered?
Subic is a domicile, but CDG is not. Is the A300 CDG flying junior or senior. I was reading about the Special International Basing Authority (?) but is that a senior gig or a junior gig? FedEx is a dream job for me, but with my wife being British, the European flying is the creme da la creme. Any info would be appreciated.
As a side note, isn't you contract coming up for openers? Do you expect that to have any impact on hiring.
Thanks,
Jason Smith

FedEx Update Website

Just Curious,

Good rumors above about potential hiring. I know FedEx hasn't excepted any new on-line apps for some time now. However, the update website has also been down for almost 3 months. Any intel has to when it might be back up allowing app updates.

Thanks

ERJ-Jay, the SIBA bid works like this:

Every three months, FedEx has a SIBA (Special International Bid Award) bid for the Memphis based A300/310 guys and gals for the European flying, and a SIBA bid for the 727 troops for some South American flying. If you bid and are awarded SIBA, you must then go to a training class (I believe its one day), to get qualified for the international flying unless you were already qualified. Now that you have been awarded SIBA, you must then bid the special SIBA lines out of the bidpack for the next three months. In a way, you become segregated from the rest of the pilots in your seat. These SIBA lines are trips composed of double deadheads back and forth to CDG with a pretty long strech of flying in between. On a four week bid month I imagine they try to get almost their whole month of flying in one trip. They can also have domestic stuff built into their lines. After three months you go back to flying the regular lines unless you bid and can hold SIBA once again. As far as seniority goes, I've heard the European Airbus SIBA is pretty senior right now. Don't know about the seniority in the 727 SIBA. Hope this info helps.

Well they must be even more short staffed than I suspected. I understand schedualing is offering advance volunteer for all 727 crew, including SOs.

FCIF

Yes, an FCIF came out yesterday offering AVA to all 727 seats through the 28th of Dec. I've been getting called for draft trips just about everyday, still haven't gotten one.

Just a friendly reminder--this thread was intended to be about any intel anyone might be able to offer about future hiring...Can we bring it back around to that? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Kwife,

FDX mgt is VERY close hold on hiring. The best folks can usually do is try to "read the tea leaves" and predict what is up.
We know numbers and hiring stats when we read them in a chief pilot's news letter or an FCIF, and not a moment before.

Generally, when SOs are getting drafted, they need more pilots. We are the "cheapest" labor and the easiest to keep around twiddling our thumbs not working. So...when we get really busy, it is usually a harbinger of hiring before long. We are the "safety net" to make sure there are enough folks on the property to throw into training when demand steps up.

Falconjet is just trying to help you get the picture--play nice.

Albie

AVA

AVA per the contract is available to any seat between Thanksgiving and Dec 31.

Advance Volunteer Assignment (AVA)
The Company may advance assign a VLT trip prior to the open time assignment window subject to the following:

An AVA may be assigned beginning 7 days prior to showtime for that assignment.

A pilot may be assigned an AVA trip only if :
the trip has a showtime between Thanksgiving day and December 31; or

the trip has a showtime during a bid period in which the Company has requested voluntary vacation cancellations in the pilot's crew position; or

the trip has a showtime during a bid period in which the Company has involuntarily canceled a vacation in the pilot's crew position.

I talked to KD today. She said they have no classes planned anytime soon, that they DID plan on classes next year, but not until Spring. Sounds consistent with the other standard info we've all heard.

FedEx

For any FedEx guys..

Has FedEx ever had class in January or February??
It just seems like they always say spring or March(last year anyway)..

Is it likely that the management types are delaying new hire classes due to the contract coming up in May?? I realize that arbitration and talks can sometimes be lengthy, surely they can't go that long without hiring..

Why is it such a secret when they are planning class dates??
I have a friend in the training department who I have known for 20 years and he won't give any insight.. However, he did say "things are beginning to shake around here" and "it should not be much longer"..

Thanks in advance..
Waitinginline

Latest resources

Back