Fedex Rumor Update

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

memsf340

I have heard these 3 rumors the most lately.

1. Drain the pool in Jan of Feb then start hiring in the spring.

2. Just Drain the pool and start hiring in the spring.

3 No action until 2005, then 150 a year until 2010.

Has anyone heard any of these or have any info. Everyone I know is flying their butts off. The bean counters have to do something. I would think.

Drowing with Yall
memsf340/nowcrj

Was just in Memphis for my 6 month ground training and sim. Nothing new from the schoolhouse, but I think they are keeping it tight lipped. MD-11 training has slowed down for peak, but is expected to pick up at the beginning of the new year (something like 16 MD-11 students a month). Saw a friend of mine who is on the right seat of the 727 and he is being used on reserve ALOT... Also everytime I log onto the website it seems like 3 or 4 more pilots are retiring. I don't know the total numbers, but it just seems lately we have had a lot (I think a lot has to do with being the end of the year). Anyway, my personal opinion is definitely by spring (with a possible chance of earlier) that new hires will be on campus. Again this is nothing official just my opinion. Plus the latest bid (when complete) will have about 70 vacancies in the back of the 727. As the people start training in their new position, people are going to be needed to fill the vacancies they create. I have a few friends in the pool and I hope to see them on property at the beginning of the year. Keep you fingers crossed.

We seem to be pretty well staffed out in LAX. I'm on reserve out there and lets just say that my golf game is getting much better. I almost didn't get my consolidation finished even with the 30 day extension. Maybe I can take a leave of absence and go get my PGA tour card.

NightFlyer

Bottom Feeder! Life as a cabose at $117.00/hr, not to shabby.

I've been on "first fly" and still have 30 more hours to go. Guess I better schedule a line check before the clock strikes 12, still have 30 more days to go though.

Don't quit your day job Fransis, your golfing game is a pipe dream away:p LATER!

Quick question

NightFlyer said:
We seem to be pretty well staffed out in LAX. I'm on reserve out there and lets just say that my golf game is getting much better. I almost didn't get my consolidation finished even with the 30 day extension. Maybe I can take a leave of absence and go get my PGA tour card.

NightFlyer

Just curious but how long did it take for you to get LAX based and how many folks do you have based there? Thanks in advance.

The first two LAX Bids, it went pretty junior. There are first officers at LAX with less than two years on property. The last bid there was no expansion in LAX and hence no movement (A few very senior guys came in to replace a few upgrades). After the bid there will be about 70 crews. No word on whether or not it will expand. When they opened the domicile they were throwing the 200 crew number around. Doubt that will happen for a long time. Plus no where to expand at LAX. Our ramp is at max capacity now.

An LCA on my jumpseat said that the new 72 program head is speculating February for start-up - they have authority for 30 new hires now, but more are expected.

90 more retirements in 2003 than expected.

Also - a friend of a friend has a friend in aircraft acquisition who swears we're getting 757's. Or more busses. Or both.

The check is also reportedly in the mail....

How long to get to LA? How long to get to Anchorage? How long to get a right seat?

All these questions are irrelevant. If you were hired in Jan 01, you could have held a right seat in LAX or ANC (MD11) or a 727 in Mem. I don't know about MEM MD11s/A300s, but I think you "might" have been able to grab one 3 bids ago...

If you were hired in Jul 01, you could have held ANC MD11 on 2 different previous bids.

If you were hired in Jan 02, you can hold a 727 SO slot...period.

Last bid had wide bodies going more senior, but 727 right seat came down to Jul/Aug 01 hires.

Bottom line...if you are hired by FDX tomorrow you might be on the panel 5 years or more. Or...retirements and a recovering economy might allow some expansion and you might move into a right seat much sooner...but there is no way of predicting YOUR seat progression based on the rapid upgrade of some guys hired in the post postal contract hiring wave. There is no "time" formula of how long you must stay in a seat to upgrade...it is all based on where the company is headed, how many folks are retiring, and how many folks senior to you decided to stay in their current seat vice upgrade. My take? I'd plan on 4-5 years on the panel if you get hired in 04...but I hope I'm wrong. 30 more, or 60 more, or even a 100 more on the panel in 04 is statistically insignificant when it compared to the 500+ hired 00-01 that fueled the upgrades you are asking about.

D-Bo,
I'm the bottom guy in LAX right now and I was a July of 01 newhire. As Albie pointed out, just a few months of seniority can make a huge difference. I think things will pick up here pretty soon and Albie will be sitting in the right seat of the MD11 before he knows it.

Purpletail,
I had to get the line check last month for the thirty day extension, and last week I PDO bumped a guy for a one of those horrible 25 hour layovers in HNL. It was rough but I had to do it. If your in LA and want to play some golf give me a shout. Check my schedule and phone number on vips.

NightFlyer

Latest resources

Back