FedEx purple nuggets and disputed pairings

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Phaedrus said:
EchoPapa: Hope to see you MEM real soon. I start training on 14 Aug.
ActiveHerk: Thanks for bringing up some important information. I, for one, am glad I have some heads up on this.

Phaedrus, thanks for your support. Please get the word out to the rest of your class, and the other classes you see at the gucci building. Look forward to meeting you up in ANC!

Also, as far as FoxHunter's comments are concerned, no one will be asking you to make an a$$ of yourself. Any constructive comments regarding pairings you fly are encouraged. You can always let the membership know tactfully what you thought of a pairing and how you were affected by flying it. No one will fault you for that.

I may be wrong, but I think you CAN get a disputed pairing on a custom line. Just not a VTO (unless you specifically ask for it by number.) When you get a custom line, meaning you finished IOE, or came back from leave or something, you are at their mercy.

If you get one and you were fatigued, write up a report. If guys keep flying them intentionally, and no one complains about being tired, we set a precedence that allows these types of pairings to NOT be disputed in the future.

Phaedrus said:
EchoPapa: Hope to see you MEM real soon. I start training on 14 Aug.
ActiveHerk: Thanks for bringing up some important information. I, for one, am glad I have some heads up on this.

I'll be glad to see ya on the line. Its a good job...and after your first year your gonna be real happy you went freight.

QUOTE "I may be wrong, but I think you CAN get a disputed pairing on a custom line. Just not a VTO (unless you specifically ask for it by number.) When you get a custom line, meaning you finished IOE, or came back from leave or something, you are at their mercy."

Incorrect. You cannot be assigned a disputed pairing on a custom line unless you spot it in open time and specifically request it with the crew planner during your custom line construction phase.

To add to one of FoxHunter's posts...Let's not put the 'fear' in the purple nuggets, or any newhires for that manner. Probies operate under the same contractual rules as the regular non-probation pilots. The only difference is you don't have grievance or job protection in the event there is a disciplinary hearing during your first year.

As stated before, probationary pilots can only be forced to fly a disputed pairing when assigned it on Reserve, no if's and's or but's. Whether it is a cross domicile revised pairing or not, just fly it if you are assigned it.

It's up to the rest of your crew to fill out a pilot ops report if they felt the pairing was unsafe in anyway, that is, unless they are flying it on draft...:angryfire

I'm curious to know why cross-domiciled flying isn't disputed just for being cross-domicile flyin (Stuff like MEM30 lines that are pure SFS flying). Any word on negotiating committee trying to get language in the new contract to keep that kind of stuff from happening?

BALDBEAVER said:
I'm curious to know why cross-domiciled flying isn't disputed just for being cross-domicile flyin (Stuff like MEM30 lines that are pure SFS flying). Any word on negotiating committee trying to get language in the new contract to keep that kind of stuff from happening?

The key here is REVISED Cross Domicile flying. If a disputed pairing in one domicile is revise the next month to be flown out of another, there is a 99% likelihood it will be caught. Then, unless the disputed portion of the trip is fixed, it will become disputed by the SIG, again.

With the new scheduling system now in place, the pairing number remains the same, it just receives a revision number. On the old system a revised pairing had a 1, 2, 3 and so on attached to the front of the pairing number, confusing some crewmembers, and ultimately causing them to inadvertently pick it up in open time. Hopefully the new system has made it easier for these individuals to more easily spot the revised disputes.

The company are moving crews, by way of deadhead for instance, to cover seat positions in other domiciles. I have an RFO trip this month that DH's to ANC and works around the Pacific with an ANC crew. Guess the ANC boys not flying draft or vol is hurting them, woo hoo!

From a separate post concerning XTRA pairings...disputes cannot be re-numbered to XTRA so as to try and trick the crewforce into flying them.

All of these things do require the crewforce to not memorize, but to take more than a glance or two at the disputed pairings, so in the event you think CRS is trying to pull a fast one, you can take note of it, and then notify the union.

Keep in mind, fly first, grieve later if you are not sure. Don't give them an excuse to discipline you, when it could ultimately be your mistake that costs YOU. The SIG and the union are constantly tracking this stuff, so stay in the loop and call the union if you think they can be of assistance.

One more day of retro pay! :uzi:

PurpleMember said:
With the new scheduling system now in place, the pairing number remains the same, it just receives a revision number. On the old system a revised pairing had a 1, 2, 3 and so on attached to the front of the pairing number, confusing some crewmembers, and ultimately causing them to inadvertently pick it up in open time. Hopefully the new system has made it easier for these individuals to more easily spot the revised disputes.

From a separate post concerning XTRA pairings...disputes cannot be re-numbered to XTRA so as to try and trick the crewforce into flying them.

Head's up! This is not how the company has been doing it. They have taken a disputed pairing and split it into two separate trips in an effort to get it covered. Here's the sneaky part: They took the first part and added a backend D/H on it. Now that portion mirrored a trip already in the bidback, so it became trip xx rev01. It was the non-disputed part of the pairing. The second part of the orig. pairing (disputed) now 'began' in another domicile...they just added a D/H from Mem on to the back end and called it a completely new pairing number and labeled it as xtra. They threw it into open time, but nobody bit so they gave it to some poor guy on reserve.

Bottom line, xtra flying could be disputed flying from another domicile and you would never know by the pairing number. Keep a close eye out.
Also, I wouldn't think that there is anything wrong with flying the non-disputed half of the trip after it is split, anyone disagree with this?

If my explaination is too complicated, I'll PM you the actual info, but don't want to post it here publicly.

Purpled said:
Head's up! This is not how the company has been doing it. They have taken a disputed pairing and split it into two separate trips in an effort to get it covered. Here's the sneaky part: They took the first part and added a backend D/H on it. Now that portion mirrored a trip already in the bidback, so it became trip xx rev01. It was the non-disputed part of the pairing. The second part of the orig. pairing (disputed) now 'began' in another domicile...they just added a D/H from Mem on to the back end and called it a completely new pairing number and labeled it as xtra. They threw it into open time, but nobody bit so they gave it to some poor guy on reserve.

Correct. They can literally split the trip in two and have it flown by two different crewmembers. Sneaky is right. CRS can have the same pairing number, or not, with the two portions of the disputed pairing.

The SIG's stance on revised disputed pairings, even when they are fixed, is to not fly them. The resources required to track these is not available, we rely on you the crewmember. So not flying the 're-worked' pairing, even when it looks deliciously good, is the way to send the message. Sure they are getting creative, they are really hurting for warm bodies in the seats.

If you are privy to them changing disputed pairings, and then calling them XTRA, please call the union, email the SIG, whatever, but be specific so we have some ammunition when we fire back at them. The SIG email address is on the ALPA site, and these are the kinds of things they WANT to know about.

Thanks for the additional information.:beer:

EchoPapa: Hope you and A are doing well. Lets go get a beer or 4 when I'm in Memphis. You're still the best pilot I've ever seen...hands of gold. :)

Latest resources

Back