Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FedEx postal contract ends in 2008--Will they get it again?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FearlessFreep said:
Having drop boxes in front of the post office is a great idea. I walk right past them into the office and send it Express Mail. Guess what, it's just flat cheaper to send stuff Express Mail - Thank you Fedex for the glaring disparity in prices! If it does not have to be guaranteed to get there in one single day but still needs expeditious handling I will send it Express Mail. Try getting a settlement/refund from Fedex/UPS when they drop the ball.

Just watch the way you all crow about the Postal contract. Contracts are won and lost on a daily basis. That means furloughs! Just talk to anyone that has worked for the myriad of companies that had/have postal contracts. The Fedex postal contract is just such a small part of the postal system it is nearly inconsequential.

When you purple and brown guys finally get your pilot contracts re-negotiated and settled upon, your companies are going to start to lose money on the postal contracts and they will then drop them of their own volition.

The vaunted Fedex & UPS systems combined couldn't handle not even half of the volume the postal system does.

As derided as the postal system has been at times if anyone would put any thought into the logistics involved in moving the mail they would understand just how amazing a system it is. It is absolutely mind-boggling that you hand scrawl a barely ledgible address and zip code on an envelope, drop it in a box for 37 cents, it becomes one small piece of millions of tons of other envelopes, gets sorted out, and in the matter of a few days it will with great reliability (for the most part) arrive at the most remote locations in the country. No one puts any thought into that when you drop all your bills in the mail. How many times has anyone really truly had any problem with the mail? With what frequency? With the sheer volume and overwhelming logistics involved you now can understand why Post Office employees "go postal"!

In contrast with Fedex & UPS I have problems with them at least 5 to 10% of the time - Damaged/lost freight, late deliveries, etc. When you take into consideration how often these services are utilized in comparison to how much I use the good ol' U.S. Mail, I'll take the mail any day! Fedex & UPS still have a lot to learn. Statisically Fedex & UPS service sux! I would be very afraid if UPS and Fedex got anything more than just a few crumbs of the mail system.

Oh, and one more thing - One Christmas morning I watched a U.S. Postal truck pull up to the neighbor's house with a Express Mail delivery. You couldn't pay Fedex & UPS enough to do that!

Better get your app in with USPS. They sound AWESOME!

Rhoid, is that you??
Just one more loser looking for company in his misery. . . .
Enjoy wallowing in your own waste; "Fearless".. . .

YGBSM,

How do you know that you don't work for them already? After all some of that stuff might be loaded in the belly of the pax aircraft you fly/ride on. You really do have to get a little more imaginative with your posts.

The point is that there are a lot of postal contracts - more than just the one that Fedex has currently. They just like pounding their chest about the one they have. It's just advertising.

Khloard,

I just love watching the way people have blind obeisance to the corporate culture of whatever company they work for (Brown, Purple, Canyon Blue, Blue! - It's all just different colors of Koolaid. Slurp it up!), constantly genuflecting to their Freds, Herbs and Jims of their little manufactered worlds, spouting off and parroting the frothy rah, rah rhetoric of their bellwether leadership. Lemmings.

Y'all just need to get real and realize that there is more to life than just the small little world of the company that you work for and the shareholders pockets that you line. When it comes to your job if your not a CEO, you're just chattel - no matter how important you think you are.

Later, wage slave (aren't we all?).

Last edited:
FearlessFreep said:
YGSM,

How do you know that you don't work for them already? After all some of that stuff might be loaded in the belly of the pax aircraft you fly/ride on. You really do have to get a little more imaginative with your posts.

The point is that there are a lot of postal contracts - more than just the one that Fedex has currently. They just like pounding their chest about the one they have. It's just advertising.

Khloard,

I just love watching the way people have blind obeisance to the corporate culture of whatever company they work for (Brown, Purple, Canyon Blue, Blue! - It's all just different colors of Koolaid. Slurp it up!), constantly genuflecting to their Freds, Herbs and Jims of their little manufactered worlds, spouting off and parroting the frothy rah, rah rhetoric of their bellweather leadership. Lemmings.

Y'all just need to get real and realize that there is more to life than just the small little world of the company that you work for and the shareholders pockets that you line. When it comes to your job if your not a CEO, your just chattel - no matter how important you think you are.

You're reaching.

And there's a B in YGBSM, sonny.

Go where?

Mine is just a small dissenting opinion that is drowned out in the ear splitting din of the dog pack that have their noses up the rear of the lead dogs of the companies they work for.

"Sonny" is the incorrect gender.

FearlessFreep said:
Having drop boxes in front of the post office is a great idea. I walk right past them into the office and send it Express Mail. Guess what, it's just flat cheaper to send stuff Express Mail - Thank you Fedex for the glaring disparity in prices! If it does not have to be guaranteed to get there in one single day but still needs expeditious handling I will send it Express Mail. Try getting a settlement/refund from Fedex/UPS when they drop the ball.

Just watch the way you all crow about the Postal contract. Contracts are won and lost on a daily basis. That means furloughs! Just talk to anyone that has worked for the myriad of companies that had/have postal contracts. The Fedex postal contract is just such a small part of the postal system it is nearly inconsequential.

When you purple and brown guys finally get your pilot contracts re-negotiated and settled upon, your companies are going to start to lose money on the postal contracts and they will then drop them of their own volition.

The vaunted Fedex & UPS systems combined couldn't handle not even half of the volume the postal system does.

As derided as the postal system has been at times if anyone would put any thought into the logistics involved in moving the mail they would understand just how amazing a system it is. It is absolutely mind-boggling that you hand scrawl a barely ledgible address and zip code on an envelope, drop it in a box for 37 cents, it becomes one small piece of millions of tons of other envelopes, gets sorted out, and in the matter of a few days it will with great reliability (for the most part) arrive at the most remote locations in the country. No one puts any thought into that when you drop all your bills in the mail. How many times has anyone really truly had any problem with the mail? With what frequency? With the sheer volume and overwhelming logistics involved you now can understand why Post Office employees "go postal"!

In contrast with Fedex & UPS I have problems with them at least 5 to 10% of the time - Damaged/lost freight, late deliveries, etc. When you take into consideration how often these services are utilized in comparison to how much I use the good ol' U.S. Mail, I'll take the mail any day! Fedex & UPS still have a lot to learn. Statisically Fedex & UPS service sux! I would be very afraid if UPS and Fedex got anything more than just a few crumbs of the mail system.

Oh, and one more thing - One Christmas morning I watched a U.S. Postal truck pull up to the neighbor's house with a Express Mail delivery. You couldn't pay Fedex & UPS enough to do that!

BRILLIANT POST. In a world of "real-time information", where events in Hong Kong instantaneously effect the London and NY markets, why do businesses/corporations care about a few days. FedEx and UPS deal with time-sensitive packages. Now more than ever, the phrase "time is money" is relevant. For the average guy or gal who doesn't care if the package gets there in one or two days (4 at the worst), you are correct no one beats the USPS. But for companies who depend on things before 10:00 am or it costs them millions, USPS is not a option. Then there are the high tech companies where inventories must be kept at a minimum or they become out-dated. Where shipping products from Asia to market in one or two days is critical. Anyone know how long the USPS takes to ship something to Asia or Europe? I don't think they measure it in hours like UPS or FedEx. The key word is EXPRESS, and businesses are willing to pay for time. That is the difference. That is why we are able to grow (21% last quarter from the past year). And do you think that as the world economies become tied closer together, that FedEx and UPS are going to lose market share in the express world to USPS?

Latest resources

Back