• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FedEx Poolie Calls, Fourth Thread

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No new hire classes until after the bid in May, still have 100 guys or so in the hired pool, 20 or so in the "to be interviewed" pool, but company still wants to hire around 300 guys this year.

Just some info I heard and thought I'd throw out there.

Seems to be only about 30-50people that have been interviewed&hired in the pool. Not sure how many that have had M&G's waiting for interviews.

Also, was told that FedEx is fat in the 727 FE and F.O. seats. Plus, not as many pilots over 60 have retired as the company thought(have gone to back seat of 727 or DC...so there won't be any more hiring this year.

Hopefully once the 757's are up and running and the bids come out for them, the hiring will resume. If anyone else has anything to add...feel free! Keep hanging in there guys!

Hopefully once the 757's are up and running and the bids come out for them, the hiring will resume. If anyone else has anything to add

Once the 757s are up and running crew complement take a 33% cut. I doubt hiring will resume due to the 75. As mentioned earlier, the 60/65 debate is stalling the process as well.

...Also, was told that FedEx is fat in the 727 FE and F.O. seats....

"Fat in the 727 FE seat" is an understatement

....in the June bidpack there's 36 VTO lines and 154 Reserve lines to cover only 174 Regular lines.

The SOs living in Memphis are loving it.

With "carryover" lines, some are being paid to sit reserve 23 days a month and only being called in to fly 1-2 days.

...them lawns better look really beautiful this summer.

It will be interesting to see what's on the big bid in June and how the FAA Regulated Age issue works out.

With so many over age 60 guys in holding patterns in the back of the DC10, and now the 727, it should have a big impact either way at FEDEX.

I do believe that's the wild card holding things up.

"Fat in the 727 FE seat" is an understatement

....in the June bidpack there's 36 VTO lines and 154 Reserve lines to cover only 174 Regular lines.

The SOs living in Memphis are loving it.

With "carryover" lines, some are being paid to sit reserve 23 days a month and only being called in to fly 1-2 days.

It will be interesting to see what's on the big bid in June and how the FAA Regulated Age issue works out.

With so many over age 60 guys in holding patterns in the back of the DC10, and now the 727, it should have a big impact either way at FEDEX.

The company probably wants current S/O's to take 757 FO instead of newhires. With this kind of overmanning in the DC10 and 727, the bottom 727 SO's will be lucky to get any FO seat with the upcoming bid. Doesn't matter if they want MD, Airbus or 727....they will get 757 FO or stay SO's.

The previous 2 bids did not have this kind of overmanning, did they?

Then the over 60 thing. The old dudes are stuffing the 727 SO seat further, there is litlle room on the DC10 for them. That part is good for upcoming newhires as they get to come into the FO seat right away. Both legislative bills prevent folks over 60 from getting their old seats back. If that does change, look out. But I doubt that very much. I'm betting Webb is working toward that change just to keep his best friends and keep lawsuits away. His efforts are just not going to have any effect, IMHO.

So hiring will be later...for fewer positions...But include a higher percentage of FO offers.

Last edited:
Europe 757s

Another factor is going to be the 757 European domicile. I think the cost of living, schools for the kids, tough commute is gonna make that go junior in both seats. I'll bet the company has to hire directly into the European 757 right seat within the next 2 years.

Just found out from my sponsor that FedEx has a hiring freeze in effect for the next 12 months at least. Apparently, after the new contract went into affect, a lot of the pilots age 60 did not retire like had been origionally planned. Also, with the FAA proposing the changing of the "Age 60" rule, those who went to the back seat are hoping they will be able to bid back into the Left or Right seat. If anyone has heard anything else, feel free to add or correct me if I am wrong. I'll be standing by waiting to see what happens with the 757 bids.

Latest resources

Back