FedEx Pilots, where to live in Memphis?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
20 minutes from work

A majority of the guys live in either Germantown or Collierville. Probably the best areas around here. We do have guys living all over the greater area though.

Don't ask me though - I'm moving to Fort Worth in a couple weeks.

Goose17

Lamar ave is a really nice section of town. I highly recomend it.

Oxford MS is a great college town about 1:20 away. It'd be dicey to pull reserve, though.....

Bartlett

Went thru upgrade with fella who lives in Bartlett (NE of the loop) and loves it. Bit further of a drive but also further from the FEBA (Forward Edge of the Battle Area).

Memphis area

I recently moved back here, and chose to live in a town about 35 minutes south of the airport in Mississippi. I know all the arguments about how MS has income tax and TN has higher property tax...blah..blah.... BUT....I did not want to live in Shelby county due to the Memphis mayor. I think any clear thinking person who has dealings with Memphis can attest to his greed and corruption.

Although Germantown and Collierville are quite nice cities (incorporated as well) please be aware that if the Memphis mayor gets his way, and is successful at consolidating the city and county schools, then watch your wallet!! People and their tax revenue are leaving the city of MEM as fast as possible....crime, taxes, etc... Those who remain behind don't seem to pay a lot of taxes so the Mayor has to look at new ideas to chase the $$.

I also looked at Fayette county (just east of Shelby county), but everyone said the schools were horrible.

Do your homework before making a decision. I'm glad we moved back here. It equates to much more time the family. Good luck.

We live in the Olive Branch, MS area and that is really nice. Great schools. It is also a 15 min drive to AOC. :D

School consolidation is an issue, but not one that I think will change too many things. Shelby county already provides $3 to the city school system for every $1 it spends on schools. I don't know why that provision is there, but it is. Consolidation will simply put the management of the two systems under one group of people. That could be bad, but I don't think it will necessarily cost more in taxes than we already provide for the city schools. I am not in favor of consolidation, because like a merger one side will probably do better than the other, and my guess is that the county school system would be the one to suffer. Most of the schools in Collierville are plenty crowded as it is, and there is a lot of local involvement at those schools. I don't think (and hope) that much would change because the local involvement will still be there.

Of course there is always the option of private schools, which a lot of folks use anyway.

We've lived in Collierville for almost 4 years and my wife and kids love the place. I'm not a big fan of Memphis proper (or any other big city for that matter, I'd much rather live out in the sticks) but it is nice being close enough to stand reserve comfortably without fear of missing a check-in because you have to do the speed of sound to get into work on time. 25 minutes max to the main parking lot in any normal traffic scenario (2 pm or 2 am) and maybe 35 minutes in morning rush hour traffic if you have to go in at "normal" travel times.

I would give all the areas around the city a good look, just like the lines at FedEx, there is almost certainly something for everybody. Most folks who live in Fayette county that I know are pretty happy with their schools as well, so don't discount any area based on a couple of rumors, go out there and take a look around and see which area you like best.

Good luck.

FJ

Latest resources

Back