• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FedEx MOAB is out (pathetic)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just a thought...this bid is for training dates in April and May. It appears to me that the bid closes on 14 April.

According to the contract Section 24.D.4. A pilot shall not begin training for an awarded or assigned crew position earlier than 7 days following the notice of bid award or assignment except by mutual agreement between the Company and the pilot.

That tells me that these MD-11 captains won't start training until at the earliest 21 April. So basically we have a bid for 24 MD-11 captains with training over 5-6 weeks. I think the math on this works out to around 4 per week. If we carry this out to the end of the year, we are looking at seven months (starting in June) X 4 weeks per month X 4 captains per week or another 112 MD-11 Captains by the end of the year! It should be pretty obvious that this will entail another bid of AT LEAST this size next month unless they want to move with the MOAB. Bear in mind that these numbers don't even include the seat vacancies that will result due to these upgrades. Based on the latest vacation buyback solicitation, I would imagine they will have to have a bid for more than just Captains in the very near future.

Then again I could be completely off base on this.... stand by for changes.

Take this with a grain of salt, but a subic bro rode the j/s with me tonight (home on vacation) and he said he talked to JL today. JL told him two weeks for the MOAB. I know he's said that before, but they can't put it off much longer so it sorta has the ring of truth.

I completely agree. Last I heard, the MD-11 training department was told to increase slots from 18 to 24 per month. So, that being said, the numbers are even more optimistic if you make it 6 per week or 168 by the end of the year (that's for the MD-11 only). If you look at the A300 side of this picture, they are probably doing about the same thing due to the additional airframes coming and flying in EU. Their training letter has most captains starting training from the last bid by early June. Does anyone know what is happening in the Airbus department?

They have to keep training moving to keep up with business and retirements(and to keep the shareholders happy!). The math is pretty simple so lets just tell everyone that the bid will be out in 30 days, and it will include secondarys. Who needs a manager anyway? It turns out that M.O.A.B. was appropriate -- the mother of all BOMBS! If you're a new hire that means 300+ per year UFN so just be patient.

. . . life happens pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around a little, you might miss it!

active_herk said:
Just a thought...this bid is for training dates in April and May. It appears to me that the bid closes on 14 April.

According to the contract Section 24.D.4. A pilot shall not begin training for an awarded or assigned crew position earlier than 7 days following the notice of bid award or assignment except by mutual agreement between the Company and the pilot.

That tells me that these MD-11 captains won't start training until at the earliest 21 April.

Consider this just a very minor (small) clean up bid to get the right amount of captains paired up up with FO's already with training dates. AND, as previously stated, to get crewmembers to edit their standing bid.

24 captains can be gone in 3 classes: One class of 8 in late April, two classes of 8 in May.

I do know this much...the -11 is definately undermanned right now. With the company offering vacation buyback (DON'T DO IT!), AVA (if you are going to do it at least get time and a half), and there is a lot of open time available.

Malter1 said:
First, let me make a disclaimer: I am NOT complaining about being in the pool.

What affect do you think this bid will have on us poolies? Will it accelerate the time before we go into training or will it delay it further? I don't quite understand how this thing is supposed to work. I imagine it's uncharted territory in terms of the pool / MOAB relationship.

Quit your whinning pool boy!!

It's amazing how small minded Captain Mark is. I've been at Purple for 4 years now and have started seeing more reality. I did drink the koolaid like all the swa guys, but as they go through pains now I see us going through the same pains. Fred Smith has us by the short hairs with negotiations, hes knows are weakness and will drag us out indefitnatley. They have no intentions on settling anytime soon and will continue to profit from it. Captain Mark might enjoy his extra trips now but soon as the 380 comes on board the quicker the reduciton in flying and pilots will come. We don't have the same luxory as the pax guys with frequency, its all about lift. So Mark fly it know while you can, and remeber who runs the mec while your in your final five.

newfed said:
It's amazing how small minded Captain Mark is. I've been at Purple for 4 years now and have started seeing more reality. I did drink the koolaid like all the swa guys, but as they go through pains now I see us going through the same pains. Fred Smith has us by the short hairs with negotiations, hes knows are weakness and will drag us out indefitnatley. They have no intentions on settling anytime soon and will continue to profit from it.

How long will it take for FedEx pilots to take back negotiations. Fight smartly. Fight together. You could have this over in a few months if you did. Fred is doing you no favors. Sure, things could be worse but so what. Get it done.

Uppercrust said:
You'd better get use to it Malter. Know where you're going!:laugh:
Go away Uppercrust, just go away..............

Latest resources

Back