Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ReportCanoa said:
****Warning******

ER is a fictional dramatic televsion show. It is not inteded to represent the inner workings of an actual Emergency Room. If that were the case, there would be no one alive to watch the show. Thank you.

Is that show still on?

Maybe it isn't who you know, but rather who your sponsor knows...

It's my guess that there will be a stagnant period until the contract is settled, after that I'd expect big things from FedEx. Perhaps an aquisition or a fleet expansion. Don't expect them to be doing anything that would make the pilots feel more confident in their barganing position.

Network and remain positive.

B757driver, this is in no way a slam, as you certainly have far more credentials than I. BUT, how do you, with that incredible wealth of experience and years in aviation, not have at least a couple of buds at FedEx. And you especially should know that the entire aviation industry is built upon networking since there are so many truly qualified guys out there. Take Albie up on his offer to help you out.

We talk of “merit” vs “networking” as if either is really quantifiable in the relative few minutes you have in an interview. Which is better? Military training or civilian? Fighters or transports? CFI or military stan checker? Academy or state school? The list could go on and on. Regardless, MOST pilots who are qualified to interview at any major airline can shoot the single-engine, night, IMC, ILS in mountainous terrain etc etc. and probably has numerous times. However, during that very brief interview, an employer can get a good idea of this pilot’s confidence in stressful situations, how he carries himself, how he represents his employer, and how he might work with others to accomplish the company’s goals. When you have 10k qualified applicants, those who meet your mins, you are in the unique position to choose those who can fly your airplanes AND fit into your corporate mindset.

For you guys still forming an opinion, please pay attention to what Albie writes. He is in “the business” of helping military AND civilian pilots refine their products (themselves) in order to have the best opportunity to further their careers and does so masterfully. Many pilots owe their successful careers to Albie. Kudos.

Networking is not solely hanging out in bars buying beers for every balding dude with a big watch. Join a soaring club, an aviation museum, the Commemorative Air Force, etc. These folks not only have a passion for flying as a hobby, most do it for a living. Be genuine and not a suckup. You might be surprised who you meet.

Let’s all face it, if airlines hired purely off of credentials (aircraft flown), they would probably only hire AF KC-10, KC-135, B737 kids (<30) fresh off of their initial commitment. Fighter jocks, CFI's and commuters would never get the chance to advance to the pinnacle of civilian aviation.

Written with a rookie's true humility.

It's not hard to figure out what the actual mix is. Just go through the archives of the SIA, now S-S, and look at the backgrounds of the classes. If they are originally military trained, then were at another carrier, you get to decide how to classify them, but the answer is right there!

I know I have flown all month on the 27 as the only military background of the three. I have also noticed that in the past 4+ months that the second officers have had a civilian only backround by about 3 out of every 4 I fly with. This leads me to believe that at least the recent S/O newhires are majority civilian, my theory, (not certified by any reputable source) is that perhaps the military types are pre-occupied playing in the sand box.

I can also state that I can't tell the difference in backgrounds based on professionalism; all are top notch, so the process, though painful, must work.

cgflyer

So, back to the topic...

Civilian vs. miliatry...is that dead horse not yet sufficiently beaten?

So, anybody out there have the real answer on the M&G and/or interviewing plan for FDX for the forseeable future?

Thx.

I dont think the military guys are preoccupied, I just think they are now being forced to stay longer on active duty, and reservists are also being forced to stay longer.

I have no idea what the percentage of military to civilian is at any company and I think all analogies to surgeons whether A or C are meaningless. I seems to me that the system of sponsors and meet and greets to choose pilots is no worse than choosing pilots based on who can tell the best story or who is willing to wear funny underwear. There's no use complaining about a particular system. Either adapt to it or cross it off and move on.

As mentioned...sent an email with 4 Mesa guys at Jetblue and 4 at FedEx. I can probably prove similar numbers of guys from Chataqua, Air Wisconsin, Great Lakes... I KNOW there are a bunch there from Express Jet, ASA, Comair, and Pinnacle.

If you are a regional pilot and want to be at Fedex, you need to network, network, network. I might also suggest instead of just going home at the end of a trip you find a way to socialize a bit more with the guys and gals at your company.

My sponsors at FedEx were....1) my old Ops officer from Alaska 2) an F-15 driver I knew in Germany and Florida and 3) another F-15 driver that worked at the WEG (a missile evaluation test program) where I was deployed TDY. All were great guys. None were "best friends", but rather great guys who could testify they had flown with me and knew I was (generally speaking) a solid citizen and reasonable pilot.

Point to notice--none of these guys were in my CURRENT squadron when I got out. However--I stayed in touch over the years, and when it came to my time to get out I asked for their help.

Its not just your "bros" that count--your supervisors can help too. A former Indy chief pilot that was well liked by the crew force is now at Jetblue. Who better to vouch for you there than an old supervisor? So--keep an open mind--the guy you share a cockpit and a cup of coffee with next week might be in a great position to help you in 12-18 months down the road.

Again--listen up--make friends and stay in touch. Nobody is going to hire you for your quals--there are plenty of folks out there who have more time and credentials than any of us. In business, as in life...people are the difference.

the word i got when i did my meet n greet in june is the they have 200 in the pool and sending to class 30 a month hopeing to send more. don't expect a call for interview until fall wichever month that is. then most likely swim a bit and if everything goes as planned hopefully in a class before year out. they did say next round of meets might happen before the end of the year but when i was waiting for the oppotunity to thrown my name in they pushed back these meetings from april to june. defenitly when they need them. it takes a lot of there time and resources to do these so things have to be right. there is a limited amount that they do as well. right now they pick and choose where they want people to go and what equipment but most likely the right seat of something. when i went the three that were with me military but i agree with albie i saw a lot of non mil there. i think that who your sponsor knows help and how much they are willing to help. just like every job out there it helps to have someone stand up for you. i figure it takes as much effort to whine about they way you would like it as it does to go out and meet people. it not hard just say hi. i do not come from a company where anyone has went to fedex and know no one but still was able to get er done.

Latest resources

Back