• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FedEx hiring with no rec

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
According to AirInc 58% of all pilots interviewed at FedEx from Aug 04 to Jul 05 had military flying experience. That's a 3/2 advantage.

"That's a 3/2 advantage."

No, that's not an advantage, it's a statistic. To this point, there have been more military types networking with their friends, resulting in higher numbers of military types getting hired, who in turn recommend their military buddies. Just like Albie said, if you want more civilians hired at your airline, get to networking. It's as simple as that.

You are not in any way disadvantaged as a civilian to get hired at FedEx.

Why would anyone want to work for FedEx anyway? It is jst not as cool as flying pax. Who cares about th $$$ and stability.

"To this point, there have been more military types networking with their friends, resulting in higher numbers of military types getting hired, who in turn recommend their military buddies."

I agree and it's that snowball effect that gives ex-mil an advantage in getting an interview at FedEx. I never said civilians couldn't get hired, but the statistics prove the original point that it is easier for an ex-mil to get an interview with FedEx. No question that is all about networking. The fact remains that being prior mil gives you access to a network of folks that isn't available to civilians. Nothing wrong with that and I'm not complaining about it. It's just the way it is. Why are the ex-mil folks so quick to say it ain't so when it clearly is?

Somebody said FedEx hires 95% ex-mil. I said I don't think it's that high of a percentage but there is a bias. All of a sudden the folks are trying to shout down anybody that disagrees with them. So, I pull up a statistic from a reputable source proving that there is an advantage and you guys still want to claim there isn't. Why so defensive? It's an advantage. Use it. I would if I could and if I wanted to work for FedEx (I don't. Great company but the vampire bit doesn't work for me.).

Last edited:
Caveman--your info is valid and professionally presented. I don't think you were the target of any blasts. The "...oh heck--no point in trying if you ain't military..." type posters were the source of agitation.

Same stats....42 out of 100 FDX hires have NEVER been in military aviation. Does that make those without military ties feel like they have a shot? In my mind it should.

dojetdriver said:
Are you tired of World Already?

Not at all. Just keeping an open mind about my career, as we all should.

Caveman said:
"To this point, there have been more military types networking with their friends, resulting in higher numbers of military types getting hired, who in turn recommend their military buddies."

this is, in fact, a challenge any civil aviators have to overcome. most of the really good jobs out there are word of mouth and who you know type of deals. the military, being an exclusive club has the network built in.

JethroF15 said:
Now back in the clown car with you circus boy!:smash:

I am still rolling in the floor from this comment....

"Why are the ex-mil folks so quick to say it ain't so when it clearly is?"

By the way, I am a civilian-only guy at FedEx. I am only trying to make the point that there is a difference between advantage and bias. I'm not trying to shout anyone down, but I have to call BS on the bias.

When one says that there is a bias, it sounds like it's inherent in FedEx's actual hiring practice. I don't consider it a bias when everyone plays by the same rules (i.e. you need a sponsor to get hired). You get a sponsor, you have your fair shot. Once you are in the system, I think it's a fair deal.

Sure, there could be an advantage if you were prior military and you happen to know a ton of pilots at FedEx who will vouch for you. Just like if you live in Memphis you probably know a bunch of FedEx pilots who will vouch for you. Advantage, Memphis pilots!

Why are there more military pilots at FedEx? Perhaps because many of them are not averse to flying at night because they have done it before while flying for Uncle Sam. Most of my friends in the passenger-only world live in fear of the "vampire bit"...they have never flown at night, and assume the worst. I recall that pre 9/11 most of my (civilian / pax flying) friends never even applied to FedEx yet had apps out to every passenger airline out there, good or bad, that operated a Boeing or Airbus product. Even in today's job market, many people won't take FedEx as a last resort because they would have to fly at night for 6-8 months. IMO, dislike for night flying by civilian / passenger only background pilots is a significant factor as to why you have more military pilots here. Now that FedEx is cool, we are seeing an uptick in civilian new hires. The trend will continue.

Latest resources

Back