Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

GogglesPisano

Pawn, in game of life
Is it even worth applying without an internal recommendation?

Would having an MD11 type and int'l experience help the process?

Throw the dice...

One thing is for sure, you won't get hired without applying. The MD-11 time and intl ops I am sure would be a plus. However, I am not sure it would get a chance to get brought up without having a sponsor, recs, etc, etc... It might be worth the $$ to apply, then when you do get a sponsor, you can say "I applied way back when I didn't even know anyone there. That's how bad I want to work here." That would be my angle anyhow. I just finished IOE in November. A year ago, I didn't know anyone here. Things can happen pretty quick is what I am saying. Good luck and Happy Holidays.

GogglesPisano said:
Is it even worth applying without an internal recommendation?

Would having an MD11 type and int'l experience help the process?

If all your time is civilian then even with your experience chances are slim. It's pretty much a closed shop for non-military pilots. Yes, they do hire a few token civilians but over 95% are military.

inline said:
If all your time is civilian then even with your experience chances are slim. It's pretty much a closed shop for non-military pilots. Yes, they do hire a few token civilians but over 95% are military.

That's not true at all. I'd say about 1/3 of the new hires as a minimum over the last year have been civilian.

If all your time is civilian then even with your experience chances are slim. It's pretty much a closed shop for non-military pilots.

That's just not true. Lots of recent hires are turboprop only, civilian only regional types. Myself included. What you do need is someone at FedEx to stand up for you.

Class of 47, 12 Pure Civ. 15 Pure Mil, the rest had a combination. 13 Furloughed Major.
The Fed Ex Is Mil Only rumor is BS.
However, It Does take an internal reccomendation. That is true.

inline said:

Now back in the clown car with you circus boy!:smash:

inline said:

Absolute BS. Half of my class had some kind of civilian 121 flying. There were three of us that had never touched a military aircraft.

"Class of 47, 12 Pure Civ. 15 Pure Mil, the rest had a combination."

IOW, about 75% were military.

"Half of my class had some kind of civilian 121 flying. There were three of us that had never touched a military aircraft."

3 out of how many? 40?

I don't agree with the assertion that 95% of FedEx new hires are military, but there does appear to be somewhat of a bias.

Last edited:
...as a pretty good source of info on FDX newhires, I can say the idea that FDX hires only (or mostly) military is horse$hit. We hire corporate, regional, other airline guys, and some really different backgrounds. The "the always hire military.." is a double edge sword, as there have been more than a few guys who walked in here thinking it was automatic since they flew in the military and knew "so and so" here but still ended up with a "no thanks" letter in the mail.

FDX wants quality, leadership, experience, and work ethic. Only a 2-ship flight lead after 800 hours in a fighter? Someone may say "hmmmm.." Ever been an LCA or Sim IP at a regional? Guess what--they seem to like that. The traits I see successful candidates have at FDX is they GO ABOVE THE JOB MINIMUMS when it comes to qualifications. There are plenty of average line guys who've been hired here, but the ones who seem to sail through are the dudes who have done that extra type of stuff.

Wanna get civilian numbers up an airline? Start an airline specific (Mesaba, Pinnacle, ASA, ATA, World, etc) network list and support one another. Nobody gets hired anymore being the lone ranger--it takes a lot of help.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back