Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Ninerfan

Folks,

Starting to hear some pretty persistant rumors that hiring (new hire training) will slow or stop over the summer. Crashpad roomie heard it indirectly from the incoming SCP.

Last edited:
You can thank Marion Blakey. And all the 58 year olds who talked her into it.

I heard that if you are over 60 already, you can't come back to a flying position. Won't that get rid of a lot of retred F/E's?

I would venture to say the "you can't come back to a flying position" would not include those that are still in a "flying position" ie: a flight engineer. They are still on the seniority list and they are still pilots...just like our new hire FE's are still pilots. There may be a lawsuit or two, but that is something that FDX and ALPA will have to hammer out....and lets just be clear....ALPA national pretty much rolls over everytime they see a fight....so it's probably safe to say that the over 60 FE's will be coming back...if they want to.

Remember Prater's motto: "LET'S TAKE IT BACK...(from all our junior pilots)"

Economy

This could be Age 60 related, might be aircraft acquisition schedules too. I'm gonna venture to say that the driver here is the company's concern about where the economy is going as the year goes on. The accountants and finance folks rule this place.

I heard that if you are over 60 already, you can't come back to a flying position. Won't that get rid of a lot of retred F/E's?

Also parking all the 3-crew airplanes will get rid of the FE's, as the 75's show up and the 72's disappear, the DC-10 engineer seat is gonna get REAL senior!

I was in the ops office the other day and LD (she sits outside of my ACP's office and deals with new hires) told me that there was going to be only one more new hire class until after the bid in May.

Lisa runs that place. SHE should be SCP....

Also parking all the 3-crew airplanes will get rid of the FE's, as the 75's show up and the 72's disappear, the DC-10 engineer seat is gonna get REAL senior!

A handful of 727-100s are going to go, that's about it.

Every over 60 pilot who stays to be an S/O is one less pilot hired off the street, and there are a bunch staying.

last year the hiring dried up before the bid as well so be patient.

Latest resources

Back