Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Fedex Hiring Mins when hiring resumes...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was close

still here...25 actually!....hired 3 years out of ERAU with 4500 TT 3000 jet and 1500 PIC jet....get your stories straight!....and that was 15 years ago....keep the dream alive yip!..one day!:laugh:
Hey where you been, it has been a while, forgot the details, but even you admiited the timing and luck play a role in this career. BTW Still living the dream

Last edited:
Most airline pilots are NOT members of a "union," they're members of an association. There's a BIG difference in how and why they're formed and administered, and how much respect they get from their would-be adversaries.

For example;

Motorcycle enthusiasts belonging to the "Honda Gold Wing Riders Association" are members of an association. They are a loose confederacy, membership is by simple application, and they own no turf. Mess with one of them, and the others will beat a hasty retreat while dialing 911 on their cell phones. Their purpose in dialing 911 will not be to assist their fellow member, but to subdue the violence before it reaches them.

Motorcycle enthusiasts belonging to the "Hell's Angel's" on the other hand, are members of a union. Membership is earned and thereafter guarded, and is essentially "for life." They own turf. An attack on any one of their members is regarded as an attack on all of their members, and responded to accordingly, and by ALL. (In fact, failure to defend a fellow member is one of the few reasons for expulsion from the group) Mess with one of them, and you'll be the one dialing 911.

It's too bad we can't get Sonny Barger to run ALPA. We might lose a few members and gain a few lumps here and there, but at least we woudn't be in the mess we're in.

That's a very good point. This association mentality is for the birds. Exclusive associations do not breed solidarity between different trades and solidarity between trades is the source of real power. Sorry folks, as much as you would might like to think so, we are closer to the blue collar side of the spectrum than white collar. Let's call ALPA out on their two-faced policies.

good ole days

It's too bad we can't get Sonny Barger to run ALPA. We might lose a few members and gain a few lumps here and there, but at least we woudn't be in the mess we're in.
yea kinda like the good ole days at Willow Run during WWII where Ford was building B-24 Bombers. The UAW was recruiting members, either sign up or you might find your car with a flat tire. Tires were extremely hard to get in WWII. So the union membership drive worked very well. After all once your a union member you won't have any flat tires, because the "brotherhood" looks out for each other and keeps those bad guys from messing with your car. Another fine moment in WWII union history is the Union workers at Consolidated, the union bosses told the workers they could not work any overtime on Sunday 12-07-41, about 90% of the workers crossed the picket line to build bombers to defend the US. The union threatened these workers wit loses of union membership and their jobs for being patriotic.

yea kinda like the good ole days at Willow Run during WWII where Ford was building B-24 Bombers. The UAW was recruiting members, either sign up or you might find your car with a flat tire. Tires were extremely hard to get in WWII. So the union membership drive worked very well. After all once your a union member you won't have any flat tires, because the "brotherhood" looks out for each other and keeps those bad guys from messing with your car. Another fine moment in WWII union history is the Union workers at Consolidated, the union bosses told the workers they could not work any overtime on Sunday 12-07-41, about 90% of the workers crossed the picket line to build bombers to defend the US. The union threatened these workers wit loses of union membership and their jobs for being patriotic.
You can't mention the "good ole days" at FoMoCo or the effort to organize American auto workers without bringing up Henry Ford's so-called "Service Manager" and right-hand street thug, Harry Bennett. Bennet was Ford's paid enforcer, who, in turn hired other street-thugs and members of Detroit's organized crime element to ensure that Ford's wishes were carried out. We'll never know the full extent of his corrupt influence upon the Detroit police or the violence he fostored, because on the day he (Bennett) was fired, he burned every record, file and document pertaining to his 30-year tenure at Ford. It's probably what kept him out of prison.

In case anybody's interested, there's a wealth of information out there about Harry Bennett. Google him. A real piece of work, that guy.

The UAW may have flatted a few tires, but as far as I know, they never shot anybody or beat them to death with baseball bats because they chose not to join their organization.

Oh yea, to the 23-year old kid with 400 hrs whose friend's dad is going to get him a job at Fedex? Don't worry about what the "competitive minimums" are, son, because by the time FedEx starts hiring off the street again, you'll have them...along with some kids of your own.

Room on both sides

You can't mention the "good ole days" at FoMoCo or the effort to organize American auto workers without bringing up Henry Ford's so-called "Service Manager" and right-hand street thug, Harry Bennett.
Yes Bennett was a bad piece of work, and the first thing HHII did when he took over in 1945 was fire Bennett for the good of the company. BTW Ford was a leader in hiring blacks in Detroit, but the UAW was given representation rights, they wanted the blacks fired, kinda of a brotherhood thing. There is room on both sides for improvement

If that 23 yr old's dad were say, a check airman, or has a couple of very senior sponsors, he'd get in at 1500 turbine PIC. I personally know a guy who's daddy paid for him to get hired at Air Cargo Carries, upgraded on the Shorts and a year and some change later, he's on the panel and big purple. Mind you his father was an extremely senior DC-10 check airman and i'm sure he called in favors from others to sponsor his son and get his stuff to KD's desk faster. If those parameters are in place, he could easily be hired, assuming that program remains in effect when things resume. I jumpseat on them alot and there's been talk of the sponsorship program being shelved b/c they don't want a 'good ol boy' network supposedly, I say you'd keep alot of d-bags out that way. Hence alot of military guys get squadron buddies to get them in. When fedex sent all those new hires to ANC a few years ago to fly widebody FO, they were hand-picking guys out of their pool with intl' heavy time. So, it was tanker, c-17 and likewise with furloughed guys from the legacies with the 'correct' kinda time. Now, i'm an express jet pilot and I seriously believe that flying in and out of Mexico all the time, Canadian maritimes in and the northeast in winter, the west coast in the summer (RNO, FCA etc) is good time and well worthy of the coveted FedEx interview.

That being said, I was also selected by an Air Natl Guard wing to attend JSUPT this year, I was dequaled for depth perception which is unwaiverable, after jumping through all those hoops, I was very disappointed but I know I was good enough to get picked out of literally 1000s of applicants. What got me that slot? A sponsor who the Stan/eval pilots all knew (sounds kinda similar to fedex's style doesnt it?) I feel that the military produces excellent pilots. Fedex nowadays seems to hire both b/c that's whats out there and provides for a quality mix of crews.

Hey where you been, it has been a while, forgot the details, but even you admiited the timing and luck play a role in this career. BTW Still living the dream

glad to hear it!...and timing and luck are very important in this profession!!!...i was on APC for a while but it has become a forum of crybaby fdx pilots....and they censor everything!

That kid has a point though. Even if you have a low IQ you can get in at Fedex if you know someone because you need that recommendation. That's why UPS has that psycho test.

That kid has a point though. Even if you have a low IQ you can get in at Fedex if you know someone because you need that recommendation. That's why UPS has that psycho test.
I don't think the recommendation is in lieu of being a generally personable individual of higher-than-average intelligence and flying skills. In aviation more than almost any other profession, people of "low IQ" or flawed judgement generally take themselves out of contention long before they get to the point of meeting FedEx's minimum hiring standards.

What's everybody's problem with FedEx's hiring policies? Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Latest resources

Back