Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

2LT

No idea what's goin' on.
If it happens, Fedex would only take the routes and the badly needed airplanes. Just an asset sale. Fedex does not need another airline. So for Gemini pilots sake, hopefully it won't happen. Don't believe me, ask a TWA pilot.

Buyout...

Gemini is strictly ACMI so there are no "routes" that FedEx might be after. I.e., this wouldn't be a Flying Tigers type acquisition. As far as assets are concerned, MD-11 rated pilots --at around $45,000/type-- are as much an asset as are the airplanes. Any other insights appreciated...

I dunno, this could be an interesting rumor.

Fedex DOES need more lift. In a recent update, the MD-11 program is going to train 20 crews per month, up from 16, but they said they didn't think even 24 a month would be enough for Corporate's projections.

I hardly flew at all in Dec- no lack of pilots, lots of lack of airplanes.

And Fedex does own Tradewinds. I could see Gemini being something similar.

Or maybe nothing at all!

But I really doubt they'dmerge the pilot groups.

FedEx owns Tradewinds? Uh uh. They own (or part own, not sure) CTS, who Tradewinds flies for in the Caribbean.

Everytime GEM flies an FDX contract this rumor comes back from the dead. If FDX buys GEM then FDX would have to now pay GEM pilots FDX pilot rates. If additional lifts is needed it makes more sense economically just to keep contracting GEM. Buying GEM would bring the cost up. IF they took the pilots they would most likely be stapled to the bottom of the list but be on FDX pay rate based on GEM seniority. GEM does have a few routes, they can be found on DOT's website if you dig around for it but I don't think FDX is interested in those routes.
I don't have a crystal ball but I hope we don't see a repeat of the UPS/Challenge scenario. UPS bought Challenge & its lucrative routes but didn't take the pilots. There are some good guys are GEM. I hope FDX does buy GEM and take the pilots along but in my opinion I just don't see it happening.

2LT said:
Gemini is strictly ACMI so there are no "routes" that FedEx might be after. I.e., this wouldn't be a Flying Tigers type acquisition. As far as assets are concerned, MD-11 rated pilots --at around $45,000/type-- are as much an asset as are the airplanes. Any other insights appreciated...

You are right about the routes, but as far as the MD-11 rated pilots, that is a drop in the bucket. Seniority will dictate who flies those 11's and if a merger does happen, a lot of gemini pilots will go to the 72, Airbus, etc. So training costs will actually increase with a merger. It always does.

I thought Tradewinds was owned, with smoke and mirrors, but Fedex Freight- not Express.

It wouldn't matter that Gemini and Fedex are both ALPA carriers?? IF something would happen wouldn't they have to take the pilots as well??

DrProc said:
You are right about the routes, but as far as the MD-11 rated pilots, that is a drop in the bucket. Seniority will dictate who flies those 11's and if a merger does happen, a lot of gemini pilots will go to the 72, Airbus, etc. So training costs will actually increase with a merger. It always does.

Actually, don't airlines put up fences for a pre-determined amount of time to prevent this? ...perhaps a year or two? It seems like it would be in everyone's best interest.

Z

Latest resources

Back