• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FedEx Cancels A380, orders B777

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"......there french subsidies........" Do you mean those there or their? Are you aware of how many countires are involved in the whole Airbus operation? And how many people stand to lose an awful lot? Have you also considered that removing the second largest airplane manufacturer in the world, could have a massive impact on economics of airlines, countries, etc. Plus you'd limit your chances of finally getting into something over 12.5.

WHOOMP, there it is!

"......there french subsidies........" Do you mean those there or their? Are you aware of how many countires are involved in the whole Airbus operation? And how many people stand to lose an awful lot? Have you also considered that removing the second largest airplane manufacturer in the world, could have a massive impact on economics of airlines, countries, etc. Plus you'd limit your chances of finally getting into something over 12.5.

No biggie, Embraer will fill the void. :nuts:

I really don't like to see this. I think the proliferation of a huge aircraft like the A380 could revolutionize international air cargo traffic. Just because an aircraft can't be delivered on time doesn't mean it won't perform when it hits the ramp. Just look at the demand for huge aircraft like the AN-124, the need is there. I hope the 777 works well for FDX!

I believe it's called competition, the tyranny of the competent.

Yanno, I'm kinda curious why FedEx ordered 777's instead of the -8F. I would think that 10 -8F's would be a more logical replacement rather than 15 777's.

AeroMatt:

Based on what I've read (mainly from Aviation Week & Space Technology), the decision for the B777F is based on its estimated delivery date. If Boeing says they will deliver from 2009-2011, they will. The B777F is in a position to be delivered to the customer sooner than the A380 or the -8F. FedEx and UPS aren't the only companies scratching their heads about fleet composition in light of A380 delays. British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, Emirates, etc. are all struggling to figure it out. In some cases, the A380 was a cost savings measure. In the case of major cargo carriers and Emirates, waiting for the A380 might affect their ability to grow their business.

Lots of bad news for Airbus. I'm not worried about them going out of business. Even though their is less direct government involvement, their is still enough government interest in Airbus to keep it going.

Skyward80

hopefully Airbus and there french subsidies will go out of business

What about the other companies that play into the Airbus consortium? Do you want the British, German, Spanish and Italian companies to also go out of business or just the French "subsidies"?

Does anyone want to start a pool on when Airbus will cancel A380 production altogether, due to delays and/or order cancellations?

One word:

Brabazon

Latest resources

Back