• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rchcfi

How slow can you go
FedEx cancels A380 orders, cites delays
28 minutes ago

PARIS - FedEx Corp. said Tuesday it has canceled its order for 10 Airbus A380 jets, the new jumbo double-decker plane that has been dogged by numerous delays.
http://us.bc.yahoo.com/b?P=KsP4ikLa...892.9475573.10204372.1442997/D=LREC/B=3892108
The company's FedEx Express unit has ordered 15 Boeing Co. 777 freighters and taken options on an additional 15, FedEx said in a news release. The company cited Airbus' production delays as the reason for the decision.
Airbus regrets the decision by FedEx, company spokeswoman Barbara Kracht said, "but we understand their need to urgently address their capacity growth."
Airbus recently doubled the production delay for the A380 jet to two years. To streamline development and manufacturing, Airbus said Monday it will slash the number of suppliers it uses from 3,000 to 500.
FedEx did not immediately return a call for comment.
Boeing said delivery of its aircraft to FedEx Express will begin in 2009.
"We're looking forward to working with FedEx on this new chapter in our relationship," said Ray Conner, vice president of sales for the Americas for Boeing Commercial Airplanes.

"If it isn't Boeing, it isn't going!"

Sweet! I'm sure the 747-8F order is not far off.

This is incredibly bad news for Airbus.

I wonder how many other airlines are considering pulling the plug on their A380 orders?

Does anyone want to start a pool on when Airbus will cancel A380 production altogether, due to delays and/or order cancellations?

Sweet! I'm sure the 747-8F order is not far off.

Yanno, I'm kinda curious why FedEx ordered 777's instead of the -8F. I would think that 10 -8F's would be a more logical replacement rather than 15 777's.

Latest resources

Back