• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FedEx Cancels A380, orders B777

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't think Airbus will cancel the 380 passenger version, but I'm pretty sure that without FedEx the A380 frieghter is dead.

Sweet! I'm sure the 747-8F order is not far off.
Eh..... I wouldn't put money on it. FedEx has done a good job over the years by keeping their fleet simple, the reason they needed the A380 was for its range that the DC10/MD11 couldn't provide. Adding 777's, 757's, 747's, whoa, you just doubled the number of types from the DC10/MD11s, A300/A310s, and 727's they currently operate.

AeroMatt:

Based on what I've read (mainly from Aviation Week & Space Technology), the decision for the B777F is based on its estimated delivery date. If Boeing says they will deliver from 2009-2011, they will. The B777F is in a position to be delivered to the customer sooner than the A380 or the -8F. FedEx and UPS aren't the only companies scratching their heads about fleet composition in light of A380 delays. British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, Emirates, etc. are all struggling to figure it out. In some cases, the A380 was a cost savings measure. In the case of major cargo carriers and Emirates, waiting for the A380 might affect their ability to grow their business.

Lots of bad news for Airbus. I'm not worried about them going out of business. Even though their is less direct government involvement, their is still enough government interest in Airbus to keep it going.

Skyward80

Thanks for answering my question Skyward. I appreciate it. :beer:

blah blah blah

1/ Airbus assembles aircraft, from components manufactured throughout the world (as does Boeing).

2/ Concorde, Eurofighter (now the Typhoon), Tornado, Harrier, Eurocopter etc all had disastrous economic returns, and delays. All became very capable aircraft.

A380 is clearly 2 years or more away from having airlines and cargo carriers paint applied - but it will happen, and it will revolutionize the way that those companies do business (not necessarily for the better of us pilots I might add).

And, I am the first to frog bash. Can't stand 'em!

The reason for the 777 is usable cargo volume. The fedex cans fit perfectly in the 777, but not in the 747. fedex would need to use different cans on the 74, and then offload the cans into the ones used by the entire rest of the fleet. Also interesting is the cargo capacity on the 777 is close to the 380 in the 6000 mile stage length, but with two less engines.

The reason for the 777 is usable cargo volume. The fedex cans fit perfectly in the 777, but not in the 747. fedex would need to use different cans on the 74, and then offload the cans into the ones used by the entire rest of the fleet. Also interesting is the cargo capacity on the 777 is close to the 380 in the 6000 mile stage length, but with two less engines.
Interesting, but, at the same time, they accomidate the A300 by putting a 727 can on one side and a DC10 can on the other. Is there something about the 747 dimensions which prevent it from using a mix and match solution like that?

;)The 777 is the "Big Mack Daddy!" It is an AWESOME machine. Fed Ex made an EXCELLENT decision and will most likely end up buying a lot more of them. I believe that once the 74-8F gets going, they will also buy them too. Boeing's products are so much better (I believe) and they will be rewarded for their purchase!!:D

Interesting, but, at the same time, they accomidate the A300 by putting a 727 can on one side and a DC10 can on the other. Is there something about the 747 dimensions which prevent it from using a mix and match solution like that?

The wasted space in the 74 is vertical when utilzing the cans that can be transloaded. Nothing you can do about that.

I really don't like to see this. I think the proliferation of a huge aircraft like the A380 could revolutionize international air cargo traffic. Just because an aircraft can't be delivered on time doesn't mean it won't perform when it hits the ramp. Just look at the demand for huge aircraft like the AN-124, the need is there. I hope the 777 works well for FDX!

Tex, the delays were not the only problems plaguing that 380 piece of junk. Over weight, shorter range than origianally projected, scruffing tires off the wheels, damage to landing gear and support structure due to incompetent engineering, limited access to airports due to the size and weight of the clumsy thing, having to load two decks means paying for new ground support equipment...I don't think that Cathay Pacific ordered any (one would think that the 380 would be a natural for them)-Airbus (rumor has it) had already pissed them off...

Rumor (and rumor only as far as I know) says that Emeriates is having second thoughts too...hehehe...besides, if pax outfits order more 748's that means that more 744's will get into the freight market. Don't worry, Big B will make more!

Some people like airbus...I don't like their engineering philosophies or their products. I thought they sucked from day one. Even more so after I had ridden in one!

It probably isn't right but I can't help but be a little happy about it being a Boeing guy...I think that by the time the Frogs et al get their acts together we'll be seeing a 747-1000!

And for my part there will be much rejoicing! ;)

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back