• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FedEx called...interview

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Let me refresh your memory, stop loss was used during Desert Shield/Desert Storm. It's not my fault if Jake didn't read the fine print. Besides, stop loss isn't the issue here. It sucks, no doubt about it, but what I originally commented on was his 'I'm entitled to a job' attitude. That sucks too.

They can recall me anytime they want. I'd go in a heartbeat.

BTW, PFC stands for Proud F*cking Civilian, as in all civilian flight time.

IVAUIR,

Both you and Caveman have great points but I still have to lean towards Caveman's opinion. I never thought I was hard on Jake- heck, I KNOW he can apply for a stop-loss waiver after he finds a Reserve/Guard unit to hire him......several of my friends have done this ....

Timing IS everything and to say ANY private businesses OWE prospective military candidates a job is ridiculous. I do sympathize for their situation but at least they have a steady paycheck coming in and continue to build flight time, UNLIKE the many furloughed pilot's (civilian or x-military) who are living off unemployment checks or working non-flying jobs to put food on the table for their families....My "great" company won't even interview these guys on furlough - talk about an injustice.....

Enough whining, geeez!
Speed

Q - where in the %&*# is the blasted spell-checker????

Last edited:
"I just hope that when "stop loss" is over Fedex calls all the qualified military candidates who have been waiting for an interview."

Maybe this is an arrogant statement when read by someone with a chip on their shoulder. To me it means that he hopes FEDEX is still hiring and is able to give these guys and gals a shot, along with whoever else is waiting when the time comes.

Oh, by the way, he may not be an indentured servant because he volunteered to serve, but he sure has alot less say about his short term future then you.

Can't we all get along?

Clipper

ouch!!

Thanks to everyone for replying to my post. I wish I got this much attention from the airline hiring departments. Ha Ha.

Thanks clipper and others for seeing the true meaning of what I wrote, even though I probably didn't do a very clear job of getting my point across. Maybe that's why I got all those poor grades in English.

Caveman, Speed - I sure didn't mean to offend you'all. Let me explain myself a little better. I am really happy that FEDEX is hiring anyone. (note "good luck to all - military and civilian" comment in my original post). I was just saying that instead of FEDEX calling a mixture of qualified civilian and military people right now the majority of their interview calls will go to the civilian pilots. However, once the stop loss is over hopefully they will call all those qualified military candidates that would have been called were it not for stop loss. The same people should get called but the civilians should get called now and the military should get called when we become available.

As for the "our jobs" comment, if you re-read the post you will notice that I said "what we hoped would be our jobs". I think there is a BIG difference between that comment and what was carried through several posts.

As for getting out of stop loss with a guard/reserve job. I have been working very hard to get a coveted guard/reserve job but ironically there are very few available because those in the guard/reserve are stop lossed as well. Even though they may want to leave their units (and open up a hole for me) they can't. Once stop loss is over there will probably be many guard/reserve jobs available. I will gladly take one of them and if I am lucky FEDEX will call. But then again this whole thread was about getting an interview during stop loss.

I did volunteer to join the military and yes I knew it was possible that I might be stop lossed at some point in my career. What I didn't count on was not getting the opportunity to fly for a great company because I was stop lossed. Trust me - I am not at all bitter that I am stop lossed - I love serving my country during this time of crisis. I just want to make sure that my family and I have a chair to sit in when the stop loss music stops.

I hope I was a little more eloquent in this post than in the last one. I also hope everyone reading this gets the job of their dreams.

cheers.

Five questions ...

1) Do you think Jake joined the USAF since Desert Storm?

Possible, but probably not.

2) Who said they were owed a job?

If Jake does get that interview someday, I am sure any hint of an entitlement attitude will cost him the job (justifiably so).

Stereotypes exist for a reason so I am sure there are plenty of arrogant ex military guys out there. I have met a few - sounds like a couple of you have met many more. Maybe Jake is one, but to me he was just venting a little frustration and asking a question (which no one has answered).

3) Is FedEx interviewing folks affected by stop loss?

If not, this does "bite". So does not interviewing furloughed guys.

4) Where is the speel check?

5) Would we be bickering like little old ladies over this kind of lame &*% if everyone was hiring?

I am all for getting along, so here is my olive branch:
- There are two ways to get to a job at an airline: military and civilian.
- One is hard and one is really hard (Neither has a guarantee).
- Most pilots pride themselves on being rational decision makers, sooooo, the one you did not choose must be the really hard one!

Last edited:
A couple of points for Ultrarunner... Interviewed and hired during the middle of March. There is no change from the gouges, other than there is no more ATC tape playing in the background during one of the tests. OBTY, they interviewed a KC-10 guy that is affected by stoploss.

Now, I am NOT trying to stir the pot, but will probably do so with the following comments:

Jake, not everyone in the military is on stoploss. The Marine Corps is only holding C-130 bubbas. Everyone else in the Corps is capable of walking out on time… OBTY, you really need to read your posts before you send them…..

Caveman, you’re quite the pitbull aren’t you? Yeah, Jake probably said it wrong, and you probably took it a little wrong, but he did wish all of us the same closing: Good luck to all -military and civilian!!
If you’re going to pick on the little things then perhaps you can explain why you show the Eagle, Globe and Anchor on your posts when you are proudly (almost zealously) a professional civilian pilot? Has anyone ever taken you over the coals for that? Are you trying to make some readers think that you are a military pilot? Why would you do that if you really believe that the military folks are a step below you and your level of capabilities? Not that I am really looking for an answer, just trying to show how vulnerable we all are…. Let me try it in other words. Why are you advertising under the sign of the people you so violently hate? This board is set up for us to pass information and vent our feelings and frustrations. That is what we are doing. Most of us use pen names… I am quite amused that you use the Eagle Globe and Anchor. In the Marine Corps, we would call you a want-a-be.

Sometimes we simply self perpetuate “all the fuss between military pilots and civilian pilots” that Caveman mentions. Sometimes it is healthy. Sometimes it turns ugly. Let’s not go ugly… WE ALL have a perspective to share, and if we are open to it, we ALL have something to learn.

As caveman said: Get over yourself. Perhaps EVERYBODY should read and heed those words. Civilian and Military alike…

And hey, Good luck to all of us. Military and Civilian alike. Or is that Civilian and Military alike? No matter. we all have something to offer.

Phantom
(aka an old guy.)

Jake: Fair enough. In the context you used this time I now understand you a little better. I hope you do get your chance and also get the job.

Phantom posted :

"If you’re going to pick on the little things then perhaps you can explain why you show the Eagle, Globe and Anchor on your posts when you are proudly (almost zealously) a professional civilian pilot? Has anyone ever taken you over the coals for that?"

Where does it say that only Marine Corps PILOTS can show the Eagle, Globe and Anchor?

"Are you trying to make some readers think that you are a military pilot?"

Show me anywhere in any of my posts or my profile where I ever insinuated or suggested I was a military pilot. To the contrary I always make a point of proudly telling folks that I came up through the civilian flight training route, hence my play on the slang for a Private First Class.

"Why would you do that if you really believe that the military folks are a step below you and your level of capabilities?"

Don't put words in my mouth. Again I challenge you to find one remark anywhere that I suggested military folks or pilots are beneath me. What I said was I resent SOME military pilots thinking they are entitled to a job just because they are former military.

"Not that I am really looking for an answer, just trying to show how vulnerable we all are…. Let me try it in other words. Why are you advertising under the sign of the people you so violently hate?"

How does critisizing one guy about an ill-worded comment make me a military hater? You must be a democrat to make that leap.

"Most of us use pen names… I am quite amused that you use the Eagle Globe and Anchor. In the Marine Corps, we would call you a want-a-be."

In the Marine Corps we would do a little better job of reconning what we were about to attack. You made a bunch of wrong assumptions and labled me as an anti-military wannabe without knowing jack about me. None of which, I might add, was based on anything I actually wrote.

This post is for the "non-Jar Heads" out there.

The USMC "Eagle, Globe and Anchor" represents all Marines, both airside and ground-pounders alike. Once a Marine, always a Marine.
Semper Fi

KlingonLRDRVR

FedEx and Stop-Loss

Maybe I can calm the waters a little--or at least lower the temperature for those stop-loss folks out there.

I talked to Kim Daniels the other day. She told me they currently had about 20 stop-loss folks in their hiring pool, who are unavailable (no waiver yet). Because they need bodies to fill May and June classes, they have started a bit of a screening process.

First--they pick out who they want to interview. This part is not affected by stop loss. They either want to interview you or not.

Second--when they contact you to set up an interview, you will be asked about availability date/stop-loss status. If you are not available early enough or are stop-loss affected, they will defer the interview. That doesn’t mean you go back into the “not called yet” pile--it just means they will interview you at a later time. Again, their current focus is filling their immediate classes.

I assume this same process would apply to those civilian folks and military pilots who are not affected by stop-loss--IF YOU ARE NOT AVAILABLE.

Hope that helps--good luck to all.

Cheers,
Alex

Latest resources

Back