FedEx C-208 Unscheduled landing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
MJG said:
So did they bring a FedEx truck out to load up the loot or what?
Could have been, probably was, but I don't know. By the time the TV News Chopper could make it the entire THIRTY-FIVE miles to the scene, the packages had already been offloaded and trucked away and a crane was already lifting the severed wing. One would think they sent them on to Monroe, but it's possible they went back to Memphis for another attempt in an airplane.

Anybody know where we can buy a replacement left wing?

:)

TonyC said:
Anybody know where we can buy a replacement left wing?

yup...theyve got a stack of em out there in Batesville where FedEx does alot, if not most of their airframe repairs :)

wingnutt said:
yup...theyve got a stack of em out there in Batesville where FedEx does alot, if not most of their airframe repairs :)
What a coincidence - - that's where they said they were taking it to be repaired. It oughtta be there via flatbed by now.

:)

...then the very pressure that we are worried about would blow the stick completely out of the valve, allowing the ball to settle and prevent catastrophic oil loss

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see what your getting at wingnutt, I am curious though, would the dipstick have enough clearance between the filler port top and the engine cowling, to allow that valve to seat, or is the dipstick too long, resulting in the oil blowing by the unseated safety valve...

freightdoggie said:
...would the dipstick have enough clearance between the filler port top and the engine cowling, to allow that valve to seat, or is the dipstick too long.

good question! but if youll notice, the dipsticks in the vans with the mod are actually about 3 inches shorter than those van sticks without the mod, which (i was told) allows just enough clearance for the pressure to seat the valve with only minimum amount of upward movement ;)

TonyC said:
What a coincidence - - that's where they said they were taking it to be repaired. It oughtta be there via flatbed by now.

yup, those guys in mississippi are really good. they have evolved into mostly caravan work, but every now and then get an odd duck in. like right now they have LJ001, the first King Air ever built which is being done for some sort of museum :)

wingnutt said:
yup, those guys in mississippi are really good. they have evolved into mostly caravan work, but every now and then get an odd duck in. like right now they have LJ001, the first King Air ever built which is being done for some sort of museum :)
Don't they do caskets in Batesville, too??

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I believe the check valve mod/AD came out in the early 90's after 2 Caravans were lost in Alaska within a short period of time after departing with the dipsticks not secured. MarkAir Express lost one out of Dillingham and PenAir lost one out of King Salmon.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back