• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FedEx C-208 Unscheduled landing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I work for a company that also flies 208's for FedEx, and I got pretty much the full story.

I guess when they tried to do the restart, they activated the emergency power lever, and at some point the engine lit off with it in the full forward position, and pretty much melted the engine. It wouldn't make any power after that.....

From what I understand, FedEx is mighty ticked off at Baron, and may cancel their contract, and give their planes to someone else.

Same thing happened with one of our caravans a while ago. Pilot flew into rain without the inertial seperator activated, engine flamed out, pilot started hitting every lever he could, firewalled the emergency power lever, and at some point, the engine lit, and then melted itself. Lucky for the pilot he did this right over an airport.

From what I understand, FedEx is mighty ticked off at Baron, and may cancel their contract, and give their planes to someone else.

OH MY GOD! If this happens I would shiznit my pants! Whatever these two jackarses were doing is OBVIOUSLY very stupid, but Baron is a good bunch of people, I would hate to see something this drastic happen! Are you sure about this, or is this just hearsay?

On the other note, I hear the new hire was a furloughed Northwest pilot, did he stay with Baron, or did he leave, volutarily or involuntarily? Did the training captain get fired? Wow, so many possibilities, if anyone knows alot of specifics, ie, names, results, accurate info, pm me please. I'll get more info tomorrow at my job, but still would like to know.

I wonder at what point these guys thought it was a P3 failure and decided to unstow the EPL?

I hear the new hire was a furloughed Northwest pilot,
hehehe...there was a shattering of a freight runner's Beech 99 by a furloughed Spirit guy this winter. Of course he was on furlough because of a double flame out in the DC-9...but who's counting.

I don't know why everybody thinks that the "emergency" power lever is an "extra" power lever...one of the two has to be either stowed or at flight idle to use the other.

I wasn't implying that he was a good pilot since he was furloughed from NWA, actually, in all reality, I was more figuring he got out of the plane, started crying, and said f-u-c-k this, and walked home.

FN FAL said:
I don't know why everybody thinks that the "emergency" power lever is an "extra" power lever...one of the two has to be either stowed or at flight idle to use the other.

because thats exactly what they used to down the Brazil way. when its hot outside they'd actually use the EPL to get every ounce of power they could...thats why they recently came out with the new "max" position on the EPL, altough its simply a placard, and not a mechanical stop :(

I was more figuring he got out of the plane, started crying, and said f-u-c-k this, and walked home.
I don't know if he can just say "f-u-c-k this".

I figure the training guy (IOE Captain) probably has his woes with the feeder that he works(ed) for as well as the feds...but the pilot in the left seat is probably going to suffer some PIC issues.

Feeders are operated with single pilot limitations in their ops manuals and the pilot in the left seat already had his 135 checkride completed, or he wouldn't have been driving during a revenue run.

Plus, the Cessna Caravan PIM states that the plane is certified for one pilot, in the left seat.

I don't know of any reason why the "emergency" power lever would be unstowed except for an emergency pertaining to a pneumatic failure to the fuel control unit. It's safety wired in the stowed position for a reason.

FN FAL said:
I don't know of any reason why the "emergency" power lever would be unstowed except for an emergency pertaining to a pneumatic failure to the fuel control unit. It's safety wired in the stowed position for a reason.

...ask the Brazilian van drivers ;)

...ask the Brazilian van drivers
I heard you the first time. :D

They have their situation and we have ours. If an approved technique and policy comes down the training pipeline incorporating use of the emergency power lever for augmenting on a hot day...I will use it.

Untill then, the lever stays stowed and wired untill I can verify failure to the fuel control unit. I'll let others make the funny papers when their ability to override the side of the brain that tries to stain stainless steel culminates in, "hey...you want to something really cool?"

Latest resources

Back