FedEx at Air Inc.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
sandman2122 said:
I never said I was offended, I'm just starting to doubt if you even fly for this super-secret airline you claim.

Glad to hear your company is "not so off the wall" and "not an old boys club". Neither is mine. As an OUTSIDER you have no idea what it is like to interview and fly for FedEx - that's unless you were turned down or fired from us. All you hear are stories on the road or on the internet.

Enjoy your job - I'm loving mine!

You can doubt all you like.

Yep, you're right about one thing - not having any idea of what it is like to interview/fly for Fedex. That was automatically denied me some time ago when I asked around - not applied - to see what the deal was. When I found out what the real criteria was for hiring (from a Fedex Capt who offered to see whether it was worth my time applying) and not having any buds there. He categorically told me I would be wasting my time making a formal application since I did not have the 3 internal recs. His words, not mine. Therefore, I was able to make an informed decision whether to pursue a formal application or not.

Seems to me that's pretty much a closed shop!

Also, it was not my one and only iron in the fire at the time, so I moved on and got what I was looking for elsewhere. Nothing strange in that, is there? Why do you always assume the worst in your posts?

Turned down or fired? That's rich! How can you be turned down if you are denied an opportunity in the first place??!! Your logic is somewhat flawed. I've never worked for your company and I've never been turned down - unless you call not having 3 buds a turn down, in which case, you are correct again.....

Again, since you don't get it, I have NO desire - might have once but not now - to work for Fedex for the reasons given. It is not the only airline in the world you know and pilots can be content elsewhere too. Why is that so hard to fathom????

And yes, you're right again. All I hear is stories on the road, from the internet and folks like you and that FDX Capt. Seems like who do you believe and what do you believe??!!

Have a great and purple day!

Dude you weren't denied anything. So someone told you that you didn't stand a chance, so what. That shouldn't have stopped you from applying or trying to move forward and find a sponsor.

I'm glad you found something that you like instead, but it seems like you never really wanted to work here or else you wouldn't have given up so quickly. Finding recommendations isn't all that hard, you just have to try.

capt_zman said:
Dude you weren't denied anything. So someone told you that you didn't stand a chance, so what. That shouldn't have stopped you from applying or trying to move forward and find a sponsor.

I'm glad you found something that you like instead, but it seems like you never really wanted to work here or else you wouldn't have given up so quickly. Finding recommendations isn't all that hard, you just have to try.

That's your opinion, dude and I happen to disagree with you. Last time I checked this was a free country but sometimes I have my doubts...

I gave up playing games, you're right on that one. If Fedex had an equal opportunity employment program then, yes, I would have been more interested. But I'm not interested in companies that play games, not anymore. Been there, done that and no more. You have to draw the line somewhere and I reached that point some time ago, so just accept it.

Easy? You conveniently forgot to mention the fact that you cannot merely solicit strangers at Fedex since they have to know you intimately and have flown with you in order to count!!! I know no one at Fedex and I don't even work in the US any more. That's pretty much an open and shut case and I was told that outright by your own.

And if you still don't believe me about LORs, I once applied to another carrier where I knew someone and that someone made a very strong recommendation. Not only that but I had a type rating and experience on two out of three aircraft types they operated, exceeded all their min requirements and they were actively hiring. What happened there? My sponsor there came back and said that they preferred to hire furloughed 10,000+ Captains from a bankrupt airline and put them in the right seat! So, I know all about LORS and what they can or cannot do. Funny thing is, if I had succeeded in interviewing in that airline, I would be out on the street right now! Now my sponsor is also looking for a job and has approached me. What goes around comes around.

I just decided to stop playing games and go elsewhere. I tried and succeeded, without having to do ANY of what you say is easy. Unfortunately, you do not know my background so you are assuming I have not tried or was not that interested.

I never said it was easy, just not that hard. I took me all of 1 month to network around and find a couple of people. Maybe it was luck, maybe not.

As for equal opportunity, nothing prevented you from applying except for yourself. Ask AlbieF15, he'll tell you so many success stories that derived from nothing except determination.

Sorry to hear about your experiences, and I'm not degrading you, but IMO, games are everywhere, most of the time you have to play to get what you want.

b757driver said:
That's your opinion, dude and I happen to disagree with you. Last time I checked this was a free country but sometimes I have my doubts...

I gave up playing games, you're right on that one. If Fedex had an equal opportunity employment program then, yes, I would have been more interested. But I'm not interested in companies that play games, not anymore. Been there, done that and no more. You have to draw the line somewhere and I reached that point some time ago, so just accept it.

Easy? You conveniently forgot to mention the fact that you cannot merely solicit strangers at Fedex since they have to know you intimately and have flown with you in order to count!!! I know no one at Fedex and I don't even work in the US any more. That's pretty much an open and shut case and I was told that outright by your own.

And if you still don't believe me about LORs, I once applied to another carrier where I knew someone and that someone made a very strong recommendation. Not only that but I had a type rating and experience on two out of three aircraft types they operated, exceeded all their min requirements and they were actively hiring. What happened there? My sponsor there came back and said that they preferred to hire furloughed 10,000+ Captains from a bankrupt airline and put them in the right seat! So, I know all about LORS and what they can or cannot do. Funny thing is, if I had succeeded in interviewing in that airline, I would be out on the street right now! Now my sponsor is also looking for a job and has approached me. What goes around comes around.

I just decided to stop playing games and go elsewhere. I tried and succeeded, without having to do ANY of what you say is easy. Unfortunately, you do not know my background so you are assuming I have not tried or was not that interested.

So anyone who doesn't want to hire you has discrimanatory hiring practices? Get a grip.

Is your employer still hiring?
If they are so great, let the world know who they are so that the 12000 other people who can't get jobs at SWA, FDX or UPS can hop on the bandwagon with you on this gravy train!!!

What we have here, folks, is a classic case of "What's good for me is good for everyone else".

b757driver decided that he didn't want to get a bunch of recs or play the networking game to get hired at an airline. Fair enough; that's his choice. He managed to find a job that he likes based solely on his logbook and his interview; again: good for him.

Where it all goes wrong is when b757 driver tries to project his experiences on to everyone else.

And here I address b757 driver directly: Just because you said "Screw it" to the whole FedEx process does not mean that the process itself is worthless.

Have you ever known ayone that has run a marathon? A buddy of mine just turned 40 and ran a marathon. Why the hell would he get up at 6 am and run 10, 12, or 15 miles three times a week? There was no chance of him winning anything; hell he'd be lucky to finish the race. But he ran and ran, and on race day he ran the entire dang race.

From my perspective every second he spent running was a waste of time. From his perspective those times were the most important times of his life.

Who is right?

We both are.

Everything depends on perspective. You cannot tell me what would be good for me, just as I cannot tell you what would be good for you.

I'm glad that you got a job that you enjoy, and that you are happy in your work. But you cannot come here and tell everyone that the way to a fulfilling job is the path YOU took.

Everyone here has different goals, different backgrounds and different expectations. Your loud proclamations that FedEx is a "closed shop" and not worth people's time are both inaccurate and misleading.

You chose not to apply at FedEx: fine. But at least give other people the chance to make their own decision rather than slandering a company that you never even applied to.

Fly safe.

A little off the subject but,....I've got three internal LOR's and did the M&G back in early Sep. My sponsor was emailed from a Capt. ACP this week and was told they had misplaced my sponsor's SIW for my folder. The email stated that..."they were preparing my package for the next step; interview." I've got two questions: 1.) I haven't flown with any of the folks that have helped me to this point. Do I stand a chance in the interview?
2.) Is it possible that the time frame between M&G and actual interview call lesson?

Thanks in advance!

Just a civilian guy who respects all aviators no matter what their background is.

Tanner said:
1.) I haven't flown with any of the folks that have helped me to this point. Do I stand a chance in the interview?

I don't think the interview takes into consideration this 'history.' You will be evaluated like everyone else and likely stand a pretty good chance of making it through. Be sure to get prepared early.

Tanner said:
2.) Is it possible that the time frame between M&G and actual interview call lesson?

I don't speak jive, so I'm not sure what you're asking here, but the timing of the M&G and prospective call for interview is within the realm of normalcy. Perhaps even better than average.

Tanner said:
Just a civilian guy who respects all aviators no matter what their background is.

At least you're saying the right stuff, good luck and enjoy the process.

Last edited:
Tanner said:
My sponsor was emailed from a Capt. ACP this week and was told they had misplaced my sponsor's SIW for my folder. The email stated that..."they were preparing my package for the next step; interview."

Trying to figure this out...From what I can get your sponsor is a regular Joe, but was told by an ACP (who happened to be a CA) that your folder had been misplaced.

Correct so far?

My response to anything like this: get your buds (ie your sponsor) to find out exactly WTF is going on with your package. Don't accept "preparing", etc.

Find out how you stand.....it might be VERY different than what you think.

Latest resources

Back