Fed Ex

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Tomnsolo

I just got an interview with Fed Ex for mid August.
I have the gouge but what books should I use to study for the written portion ?

Thanks in advance

This is a great website

Fly Safe:)

Don't spend too much time studying...

I read/leafed through several books: Officer Candidate Test Book, AIR Inc's written test guide, Vocabulary test preps, Sylogistic (sp?) Logic, etc.

My advice would be to not spend alot of time on this stuff. I don't think alot of study will modify your scores much on the written tests. They don't seem to be very important. ( I think I answered 8 out of 40 vocab words.) Just follow the directions to the letter ( if it says don't guess, then don't!) and be efficient. I did get some good info re: Logic off of the Internet. Just search Google for Sylogistic (?) Logica and memorize the basic rules. That will help in those questions.

Spend your time reviewing your logbooks for stories that will help you answer "Tell us about a time when..." questions. That will help you the most.

Good Luck,

Good to see they are still scheduling interviews. When do they bid/assign equiptment and bases in new hire school. I was just wondering what the results were for the July 8th class. I am in the July 29th and was wondering will it all be 727 MEM or will there be any other options?

Thanks,

SF3CA

Typically, you get your assignments on day 3 of ground school. From what I've been hearing, everyone is initially placed in the 727 S/O seat. I have heard of secondary bids for other seats (DC-10 S/O primarily) coming up while you are in school.

Welcome to FedEx!!

Ditto on the studying. Look up "syllogism" and "Venn diagram" on the internet to help study for the logic part. Unfortunately it has been so long for me that I don't remember the sites I used, but as Dornier stated, find one that gives the basic rules and some examples, then practice using Venn diagrams to solve the logic problems. This will at least give you a clue and a starting point for these tests. As always, search this forum, lots of good info in the past several months on study gouge and where to find it--willflyforfood, etc.

But...don't kill yourself studying stuff you'll never remember anyway! Your time will be better spent reviewing your past flying history so you can go into the personal interview knowledgeable, confident and able to present your past experience in a professional manner. Good luck!

by your last 4 numbers of your ssn, high is good...9851 will probably be the senior member of the indoc class, and 0215 is bad, will be last in class

thxs

Thanks for the info. I'll search for some "rules".

DornierPilot-- Did you do a sim prep prior to your interview?

Thxs :D

I did the sim prep at Pan Am in MIA. I'm still debating if it was worth it. I passed and got the job! So in that respect it was worth every penny. I was the only one in my group that did a sim prep and we all passed. The sim is not that hard. The Pan Am sim was the A-300 E4B (old airbus) and my interview group got the A-310 (newer airbus). The Pan Am sim was harder to fly and therefore was a good warm up and a not so good confidence builder. The Pan Am people were professional and friendly.

I would have been bummed if I had not done the prep and flunked the sim, but now I kind of wish I had the $500 dollars back. It's a tough call.

Good Luck,

SF3CA

I know of a couple guys, including a 9000+ hour ex-USAir guy, who for whatever reason did not make it through the sim.

I got some time in a biz jet sim thanks to a buddy to practice the Vert S profile, and although it was "different" than the airbus the fact I had to adapt my cross check to a new plane and concentrate on pitch/power inputs probably helped me a lot in the Airbus sim.

As for the 400-500 bucks, you can pick up 2 reserve days on your first month and the line and get the money back. If you hate reserve, two 6 hour trips or an 8 hour 2 day trip to the west coast gets you back your money. Unless you are current/qual'd in a transport jet, I'd recommend biting the bullet and knocking back some sim time...if only to increase your confidence and slow your heartrate during the process.

If you want help prepping for the interview beyond the sim prep, click on the interview prep banner ad in the upper left corner.

Albie

Tomnsolo,

I flew the profile in a 737 sim that I had access to. Obviously, not the same as the DC-10 or A-300, but it did get me focused on my scan. (Too many hours flying glass will destroy your scan!!)

I also downloaded some "instrument panels" of the DC-10 and A-300 from the internet that work with Microsoft Flight Sim. It was a simple, free solution that also helped me get my scan back together.

I feel that some sort of prep is definitely worth it, just for the confidence building aspect of it. If you don't do any and don't pass the sim.......

Good luck!!

Latest resources

Back