• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Fed Ex furlough

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FDX is airline #4. They are working hard to be no better than anyone else (and doing a very good job).

PIPE

Not at treating their core employee group. They are doing a very good job of the exact opposite of that.

Not at treating their core employee group. They are doing a very good job of the exact opposite of that.

I guess I wasn't clear. They're acting like every other scumsucking bunch of management leeches at every other airline. Treat your employees like crap and demand everything in return.

PIPE

You are the idiot that doesn't get it. FEDEX is still making money and in fact they have enough money to sponsor the FEDEX BCS bowl championship game >> Yet they are laying off people. Forecasts can't be counted on. They are just a "Best Guess" at the future. A Future that none of us can predict for certain.

If you treat employee's fairly you will maintain a good working relationship with them. If you just dump them on the street then all hell will break loose. Just basic common sense.

Forecasts ..... anyone that has a brain and has a business degree understands the limits of these things.

Many companies right now are using this "Economy" as an EXCUSE to put people on the street. At the same time they are making a profit. You will not convince me anything different.

Yes, FedEx and other companies that are furloughing see a grand opportunity to bring their employees much ill will with no regard to the bottom line or how it will affect the company. The evil management just wants to watch you suffer.

In the real world (please feel free to join us anytime), the company has a fiduciary responsibility to its shareholders. If lowering labor is the way that it thinks it must achieve the desired profit, that is their responsibility. They DO NOT have a responsibility to you to keep you employed. I agree, if they alienate all labor to the point that they cannot fill their pilot seats, they will do themselves a disservice. I also have noted that right now, people would climb over each other to have a chance to work at FedEx. Supply and demand and market forces affect the free world.

FedEx can furlough all but 2 of its pilots even if it makes 400 billion dollars this year. Will it probably fail? I would think so. My point is that somebody is being paid to run the company, and they seem to think that they are overmanned. They are taking actions to fix the problem BEFORE it affects the profit margin. Sorry, FedEx is not in business to employ anybody. They are in business to MAKE A PROFIT. In fact, to make as much profit as they possibly can. Somehow before when they were one of the most stable and better paying flying jobs in the country, nobody faulted them for that. When they cannot afford to continue to pay so many pilots so much money, you want them to just keep everybody on board and ignore reality.

Like I said before, you claim management is inept and runs the airline businesses into the ground, but as soon as one is proactive, you claim it is greedy and self-serving. Must be nice to have it both ways.

Yes, FedEx and other companies that are furloughing see a grand opportunity to bring their employees much ill will with no regard to the bottom line or how it will affect the company. The evil management just wants to watch you suffer.

In the real world (please feel free to join us anytime), the company has a fiduciary responsibility to its shareholders. If lowering labor is the way that it thinks it must achieve the desired profit, that is their responsibility. They DO NOT have a responsibility to you to keep you employed. I agree, if they alienate all labor to the point that they cannot fill their pilot seats, they will do themselves a disservice. I also have noted that right now, people would climb over each other to have a chance to work at FedEx. Supply and demand and market forces affect the free world.

FedEx can furlough all but 2 of its pilots even if it makes 400 billion dollars this year. Will it probably fail? I would think so. My point is that somebody is being paid to run the company, and they seem to think that they are overmanned. They are taking actions to fix the problem BEFORE it affects the profit margin. Sorry, FedEx is not in business to employ anybody. They are in business to MAKE A PROFIT. In fact, to make as much profit as they possibly can. Somehow before when they were one of the most stable and better paying flying jobs in the country, nobody faulted them for that. When they cannot afford to continue to pay so many pilots so much money, you want them to just keep everybody on board and ignore reality.

Like I said before, you claim management is inept and runs the airline businesses into the ground, but as soon as one is proactive, you claim it is greedy and self-serving. Must be nice to have it both ways.

YO!! You jerk it out only to swollow it after. Milk, I'm talking about... Your philosophy is exactly why we find ourselves a broke nation today. Developers are after profits, banks are after profits, investments firms are after profits, oh hell, even Bernard Madoff was after profits and now the runaway cart is frighteningly pulling the horses down the hill (redefined as cartpower instead of horsepower).

Every company share a "fiduciary responsibility that goes well beyond the shareholder. Off course, shareholders are about profits but companies are about products and services that drive macro economies, and provide broader financial securities for the countries in which they thrive. In other words I'm simply defining "the stakeholders", of which you and me happen to be part and parcel off.

Our problem today is that the modern day internet MBAs are well versed at copying and pasteing rather than in creating smart and innovative business ideas, for which they are paid $$$$$$$$$$$. Instead, the entitlest fly up to the Capital in corporate jets begging for money because they have in fact run out of ideas.

'Till recently some thought that a company have only one value: its share-price and that they was no conflict between the responsibility companies have to shareholders and that to society as a whole. You are ALWAYS dead wrong when you imagine things from a single perspective.

YO!! You jerk it out only to swollow it after. Milk, I'm talking about... Your philosophy is exactly why we find ourselves a broke nation today. Developers are after profits, banks are after profits, investments firms are after profits, oh hell, even Bernard Madoff was after profits and now the runaway cart is frighteningly pulling the horses down the hill (redefined as cartpower instead of horsepower).

Every company share a "fiduciary responsibility that goes well beyond the shareholder. Off course, shareholders are about profits but companies are about products and services that drive macro economies, and provide broader financial securities for the countries in which they thrive. In other words I'm simply defining "the stakeholders", of which you and me happen to be part and parcel off.

Our problem today is that the modern day internet MBAs are well versed at copying and pasteing rather than in creating smart and innovative business ideas, for which they are paid $$$$$$$$$$$. Instead, the entitlest fly up to the Capital in corporate jets begging for money because they have in fact run out of ideas.

'Till recently some thought that a company have only one value: its share-price and that they was no conflict between the responsibility companies have to shareholders and that to society as a whole. You are ALWAYS dead wrong when you imagine things from a single perspective.

Hey Stalin, if you think companies are in it for the "social good," why don't you work for free?

Who is John Galt?

That is patent bullsh!t! A company is a citizen of the community. If it were only about profit and loss there would be no controls on emissions, no donations to charities, etc., etc. Do you think that FedEx is failing their "fiduciary responsibility to the shareholder" when they give millions and millions of dollars to run St. Jude's Childrens Hospital? Are they failing their "fiduciary responsibility to the shareholders" when they pay to operate the Orvis DC-10 flying around the world to administer free eye surgery? As a shareholder, do you see that as Fred Smith stealing money from your pocket for those damned sick kids and blind people?

Your contention that every red cent should go to the shareholders is a steaming pile of bull. Without responsible corporations that value the communities they are in and the workers they employ, we've got nothing. Your shares might do well, but when the corporations in your city act in the manner that you embrace -- your community is in trouble.

Case in point. St. Louis. Anheuser-Busch was a great corporate neighbor. In-Bev buys them. They put 2000 on the streets, don't take care of their grounds they way they used to, put several formerly free local attractions up for sale, stop giving away free beer, etc. All of this to increase the profits for In-Bev shareholders. Sure, I can buy In-Bev shares to cash in on all of this. Bottom line though, no matter how many shares I buy, or how well they do, it won't put those things back "right in my community".

The dollars aren't always first!!!!

PIPE

FedEx Cup in golf.

FedEx Bowl Championship Series.

FedEx Orange Bowl.

FedEx NASCAR Car.

FedEx Stadium.

FedEx Forum.

I would question whether these thing hit the target audience and generate a consummate degree of revenue. But I would not question whether these thing get upper management suites, tickets, and all-access passes.

Isn't this stealing from the pockets of the shareholders???

My point is not that the company shouldn't do these things, it is that every penny does not and should not necessarily go to the shareholder. If the dividends or the PE aren't to your liking, don't buy the stock.

PIPE

Latest resources

Back