• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Fed Ex Crashed in TLH..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Absolutely amazing they got out alive. They must have done something right. Is there an argument for 3 person crews to share the workload in here somewhere??

I was in TLH this morning, they made a lovely big whole in the tree line. Ended up with the tail pointing towards the approach end of the runway. Well done.

Stingman said:
All the media seems to care about is the stupid election paperwork.

agreed...realizing of course that TLH is the capitol, i couldn't believe how many paragraphs of election b.s. i had to wade through in order to read about the accident.

another cmrflyer in mco

I dont know if anybody remembers the Airborne DC-8 that crashed on a test flight out of GSO back in 1997, but CNN when they were reporting on it said " A SMALL DC-8 crashed today in the mountians of North Carolina".

Since when is a 350K pound airplane small?

That crash took 5 lives.

The media, eeekkkk!

I fly into TLH everyday. i didnt see this accident happen but I saw it 5 hours after it happened. They were making a straight in to runway 9. Dark, early morning and sky clear. Runway 9 is served only by a PAPI which is very bright and glares, I find it hard to use. There is no ILS or glideslope information, but we usually cheat and use the localizer for 27. Also, there are no lights on the ground for the ten-twenty miles leading up to the threshold, so you have a classic "black-hole" approach. Plus the runway has a slight upslope. The tower was closed. They went into the 200' tall pine trees right wing low and trimmed the trees for about 150 yards. then they popped out onto the airport property, hit the ground, again, it appears right wing low. As the right wing caused drag it spun the airplane around to a heading of about 250 and slid for about 200 yards. the left wing was largely intact, as was the left side fuselage and cockpit area. It was all burned up when we saw it.
**wild speculation here**
they might have got low, or slow, or both (a factor might be the black hole approach and glaring PAPI)and caused them to go into the trees. When that happened they lost airspeed and that was the end of it. Thank god they got out OK. I dont think they were making an emergency landing, I heard the rumor they were on fire before landing but I dont believe it.

hyper said:
Absolutely amazing they got out alive. They must have done something right. Is there an argument for 3 person crews to share the workload in here somewhere??

YOU GOT THAT RIGHT! There's nothing like a three man crew when you've got your hands full. That being said, even a three man crew can fail. For now though, lets give them credit for not getting killed and let the investigation process figure it out.

Latest resources

Back