Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Simon Says

New Airbus Regional Jet
Just saw it on the news, but I cannot find it on the internet yet. They say it was a 727 took off out of MEM enroute to somewhere in Florida. They also reported the plane was on fire as it was trying to make an emergency landing in TLH.

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) - A FedEx Boeing 727 cargo jet crashed and burned
short of the runway Friday at Tallahassee Airport. The three-member crew
escaped with minor injuries, the company said.

The three-engine jet, FedEx Fight 1478 from Memphis, landed a half mile short
of the runway at 5:43 a.m., said Kathleen Bergen, a Federal Aviation
Administration spokeswoman at regional offices in Atlanta.

It wasn't immediately know why it didn't reach the runway.

``We can't speculate on the cause,'' said Jess Bunn, the FedEx spokesman at
company headquarters in Memphis, Tenn. ``The National Transportation Safety
Board and FedEx's own safety team will be investigating.''

The crew members were taken by ambulance to a hospital where they were
reported in good condition, the company said.

Michelle Bono, a spokeswoman for the City of Tallahassee, which owns the
airport, said the airport would remain closed until the wreckage is cleared.

Anybody know what the weather was?

Last edited:
:( Sorry to hear about another Fedex plane lost. The news here in Memphis is not too detailed yet.

Back in the mid-90s I did the haz for the TLH flight--used to be some pretty nasty stuff went on that run. Moody AFB got a lot of it. The 727s on that run used to go MEM-MOB-TLH. That was the run that all the mx birds were on, so some of the planes were real question marks. Just glad to hear nobody was really hurt.

To reply to Huck,I haven't seen this morning's wx but the fog or haze can get real bad there.

I hate to see any area of aviation take another hit at this time, but I sure hope this wasn't a case of pilot error. (Was it another Tiger pilot?):D

Just to update the reply about the TLH wx:

Wx this morning at TLH was clear, wind calm, 22/21. Can't find a report of fog or surface vis, but sure sounds like perfect conditions for fog.

As far as I'm concerned the NTSB will sort out the rest of the stuff, I'm just thrilled the crew came out of this as well as they did!

I too am grateful that they made it out alive.

In the 2 hrs I've been flipping between MSNBC, CNN and FOXNews, I've seen one 20 second flash on CNN and then nothing. They showed the burned 727 briefly.

I can't help but think that if that crew had not survived, it would be on every network running through the media glorification of death. But since they survived and quite possibly did an outstanding job, it just ain't newsworthy.

Sad thing is, if they find that the crew messed up in anyway, we'll be enduring yet another attack of headlines questioning airplane safety......

Maybe not - cargo is usually under the media's radar....

I'll never forget, after the Newark crash, Kathie Lee Gifford said "Well there was a plane crash last night, but thank God, it was a cargo plane...."

You have a point Huck. Man, I never heard that one about kathy lee. I knew there was a reason I disliked her.

Latest resources

Back