FDX Sen. List updated

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Medium rare

[QUOTE= Anybody have a good method of hitting medium rare?

From PETA (People who Eat Tasty Animals) Rub steak on both sides with small amount of oil then season with salt and pepper. Put over hot coals and don't touch for two minutes, pick up and rotate 90 degrees with tongs (never use a fork). Flip after two minutes and repeat (the rotating will give you cool looking grill marks). The steak should feel like the palm of your hand under your thumb. Let it rest for 5 min before eating.

Keep that list moving!

CWGrizwald said:
Anybody have a good method of hitting medium rare?

From PETA (People who Eat Tasty Animals) Rub steak on both sides with small amount of oil then season with salt and pepper. Put over hot coals and don't touch for two minutes, pick up and rotate 90 degrees with tongs (never use a fork). Flip after two minutes and repeat (the rotating will give you cool looking grill marks). The steak should feel like the palm of your hand under your thumb. Let it rest for 5 min before eating.

Keep that list moving!
I've got the seasoning part down, and I've got a good handle on the grill marks and handling techniques. (Hey, I'm not a greenhorn, here.) Since the distance from the coals, the temperature of the coals, and the thickness of the steaks are rarely mentioned in these intructions, the only technique that really stands alone is the "palm of your hand under your thumb" test.

So, is this the palm of my youth, before the manual labor began in earnest? Is it the toughened palm of adulthood, the years of hard, manual labor? Or is it the palm of today, softened by a comfortable job and teenagers to mow the lawn?

And does it apply equally to steaks of various thickness? Say, does it work the same for a ¾" steak as a 1¼" steak? (I like the thicker ones, personally.)

Thanks for the help. :)

Thickness makes all the difference. 1/4 inch thick?, don't bother, pound it out to 1/8 and make paillard out of it, which is to sear it for 10 seconds per side on a very hot cast iron skillet. Good question about softness of palm, but you forgot to mention hardness after 3 months at Al Udied. I think teenages mowing the lawn is probably about right, I've just arrived there myself. The only sure fire way is temp, and as much as I hate to poke a hole in the steak, an instant read chef's thermometer will work. Cook the steak until 140 then pull it off, you'll get another 5 degrees while it sits.

What was this thread about again? I'm getting hungry.

That was THREE-quarter inch, not one... I'd not have such a slice of meat in my house. :)

I think I'll have to break down and spring for the thermometer at some point in time. As long as I cook the steaks evenly, I should be able to sacrifice one of them with a poke or two, right? (As long as I know which one to avoid at the dinner table. ;) )

Oops, sorry, getting my quarters mixed up. One poke shouldn't hurt the steak, especially a 1 1/2. Oh, I also remembered what this thread was about, seems Mr. Taz was worried that some folks aren't using this forum for it's intended purpose. Shame on you. So, I'm glad the list is moving as that most likely means hiring will continue which is good news for us wanna-bees. What kind of wine do you serve with your steaks?

CWGrizwald said:
What kind of wine do you serve with your steaks?
Usually Diet Coke, but I like ice water, too. :) Diet Dr. Pepper is my favorite.

Have you tried those Splenda drinks? I haven't quite decided yet if I like them.

:)

Um, Tony...the way I always check the "show" steaks for company is I cut into one of the kids steaks to check the color inside. How's that for "poor technique". Since several steaks get sliced into kid friendly bites anyway, the lack of expertise is rarely apparent to those unless they are hawking me at the grill.

...and since watching me cook is a 4 beer minimum, by the time we are grilling the guest is too toasted to care anyway!

TonyC said:
. . .<snip>. . .

So, is this the palm of my youth, before the manual labor began in earnest? Is it the toughened palm of adulthood, the years of hard, manual labor? Or is it the palm of today, softened by a comfortable job and teenagers to mow the lawn?

. . .<snip>. .
As long as it isn't the palm of your hand after being out to sea for six months. . .

TAZ MAN said:
Its not that I don't like you guys, its that no other airline uses this board as a way to communicate with each other about your own business that most all other airlines pilots don't give a rats a$$ about.
You haven't read the Island Air thread, have you?

Latest resources

Back